The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

One year earlier and we could've had Jarmo Kekalainen. Darn it.

Trevor as President is fine: Great reputation, intelligent, hockey mind, corporate experience. The perfect PR guy

As GM? No experience should equal no job.

This team needs a visionary, not a rookie.

This from the hockeynews (team 1040): Bob Nicholson in neogitations to become the next Canucks President as of tonight; Linden will be the GM.....

changes are coming....see ya Torts!

(I think Markus got denied as Gillis was fired; assumption he would of been involved somehow that Aqauman squashed; hence why Markus wasn't commenting/happy with the latest development...quit Modo for nothing.)

1040 has no creditability. They maintained Torts was getting fired and Gillis would be back along with pushing their agenda and favoring Gillis. All the Gillis ass kissing and bootlicking those clowns at that station do.

I'm uncomfortable having Trevor come in as GM. He's not prepared and is risking his golden name in this city. If he comes in as President, that would be okay. If he comes in as an assistant GM, that's okay too....he needs time to learn. But from the outside, straight into the GM chair with no experience is asking for trouble. And he would be left with the job of determining Torts' future. Too much, too soon.

how the heck do you know he's not prepared....just find so funny ppl act like they are so smart and logical. I want Linden as GM, he knows the game

Cant they just give Linden some BS front office position? Watching him try to host the canucks for kids telethon was painful enough. Leave the GMing to a seasoned assistant GM who has learned the ropes from someone who has done this before.

wow...... Bob Nicholson has no expierence managing a hockey team at this magntitude before, i'm not sure why you guys are so excited over someone who has no expierence in managing hockey, sure he was in charge of hockey Canada, but it's far from managing a hockey team in general. I Hope they take their time and hire a good handful of names before making any a rash decision. Just because you are respected around the leauge it doesen't mean other gms will not try to low ball you. You Canucks fans are getting excited over nothing.

I'm uncomfortable having Trevor come in as GM. He's not prepared and is risking his golden name in this city. If he comes in as President, that would be okay. If he comes in as an assistant GM, that's okay too....he needs time to learn. But from the outside, straight into the GM chair with no experience is asking for trouble. And he would be left with the job of determining Torts' future. Too much, too soon.

Linden becoming GM would be nothing more then PR stunt. All respect for him, but do we really want to hire another rookie GM.

Agree^ I'm all in for Linden as an assistant, but would really prefer an experienced leader like Nicholson running the show.

I dont think its over his head, the guy is smart., thoughtful, knows hockey and is well respected in the league. My biggest issue is there are very hard decisions to make on this team, and his closeness (many are still somewhat friends/ex teammates) would make it hard to make the tough choices that need to be made.

I'd love to see Nicholson, Blake come in

Question is..would Linden have the balls to part ways with trading our core players with NTC's that he has previously played with before? Sedins, Kesler etc.

wow...... Bob Nicholson has no expierence managing a hockey team at this magntitude before, i'm not sure why you guys are so excited over someone who has no expierence in managing hockey, sure he was in charge of hockey Canada, but it's far from managing a hockey team in general. I Hope they take their time and hire a good handful of names before making any a rash decision. Just because you are respected around the leauge it doesen't mean other gms will not try to low ball you. You Canucks fans are getting excited over nothing.

so.....you're not a canucks fan?

Nicholson - President

Linden - Vice President

Naslund - GM.

Smyl Retains position,

for the hell of it Pat Quinn for senior hockey advisor.

I agree with this. I personally think Naslund would be a better fit for the GM job and Linden could work alongside Nicholson as Vice President since he doesn't have much experience.

how the heck do you know he's not prepared....just find so funny ppl act like they are so smart and logical. I want Linden as GM, he knows the game

Because he has held no job in a hockey organization in any capacity? Yzerman did time as an understudy. So is Sakic. So is Robitaille, So is Blake. Yet Trevor having done none of it is good to go? No.

And...what is wrong about acting smart and logical? Doesn't it beat the alternative? You're a real bright one, aren't you?

Really something involving all 3 of Nicholson,Naslund and Linden in management would be perfect. Also Smyl should retain his position.

Something like Linden as GM.

Naslund as VP

Nicholson as president

and Smyl retaining

would be fine.

Though Linden would be GM, it should be Nicholson running the show for the first year so Linden can gain some experience from a great hockey mind and then be ready to fully take over the role of the GM.

Trev as GM... hmm, at least if he flops people are more likely to pin it on ownership running the show from the shadows. I think he's got too much pride and too much smarts to actually just allow himself to be a figurehead like that though. Maybe he could survive this!

If he flops in his first season - it would be just perfect, because he can draft McDavid or Barzel. Actually, I'd want him to do just that.

Man, do people really want a front office loaded with former Canuck players? The old boy's club in Edmonton has brought some head scratching decisions and a culture that accepts failure.

Now this might not happen here, but history shows that those with limited experience often have to struggle before (if) they succeed.

I'd much prefer an experienced leadership group than a familiar one.

Archived