The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - Flyers (Proposal)

Hey everyone,

I usually steer clear of making a suggestion in this section. I realize that it is impossible to please all the fans so I am bound to get some grief for this. But here's my suggestion:

To Van: Hartnell

To PHI: Edler

*I'm sure there would be additions (for either side) but I'm not educated enough on Hartnells play recently to accurately be more specific. But this would be the base of the trade.

I realize that this is not really a new idea. I've seen it on here a few times over the years. But I feel like it makes more sense now than ever. My opinion is that Hartnell would be a Linden's kind of guy. He would also be a Torts kind of guy (if John gets another year as coach). Hartnell would also be able to fill in on lines 1 through 3 effectively.

*I also believe that Hansen should be traded this summer. Realistically for picks or prospects

Here is some potential forward line combinations for next year with the trade:

Hartnell-Kesler-Kassian

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Santorelli-Horvat-Burrows

Booth-Mathias-Richardson

Sestito

or

Sedin-Kesler-Kassian

Hartnell-Sedin-Jensen

Santorelli-Horvat-Burrows

Booth-Mathias-Richardson

Sestito

*If Shinkaruk is ready after one year of AHL have these lines the year after:

Hartnell-Kesler-Kassian (18 min)

Sedin-Horvat-Burrows (16 min)

Shinkaruk-Sedin-Jensen (16 min)

Santorelli-Mathias-Richardson (10 min)

Sestito

I wouldn't make that trade, we have Burrows who essentially is the same type of player. When Edler is on his game, he is a top 2 d. He's still young and the potential is still there for him. Add in the fact that Edler is under a great contract and Hartnell is starting to age, I decline no doubt unless there was a major addition from Philly's side

I wouldn't make that trade, we have Burrows who essentially is the same type of player. When Edler is on his game, he is a top 2 d. He's still young and the potential is still there for him. Add in the fact that Edler is under a great contract and Hartnell is starting to age, I decline no doubt unless there was a major addition from Philly's side

I really appreciate the constructive reply. I completely understand everything that you are saying. It really comes down to a persons opinion on Edlers future. My original thought was the following:

Van gets: Hartnell and D prospect Robert Hagg

PHI gets: Edler

But Im pressuming a added prospect won't change your mind

I really appreciate the constructive reply. I completely understand everything that you are saying. It really comes down to a persons opinion on Edlers future. My original thought was the following:

Van gets: Hartnell and D prospect Robert Hagg

PHI gets: Edler

But Im pressuming a added prospect won't change your mind

The thing about edler is he holds solid value. If we're to trade him I'd like to get a younger guy with a bright future. If we were looking like solid contenders then yeah hartnell would be a great add. As we're in reset mode, I don't believe getting him takes us a significant step forward. Kinda like how Calgary kept making stupid additions hoping to contend for the cup but missed the playoffs every time.

If we trade him we should be aiming for someone 22-25 coming back. Otherwise we may as well keep edler as he's closer to an age that he can help us in 3-4 years when we could possibly peak again. Then we go out and get the hard nosed vet.

The thing about edler is he holds solid value. If we're to trade him I'd like to get a younger guy with a bright future. If we were looking like solid contenders then yeah hartnell would be a great add. As we're in reset mode, I don't believe getting him takes us a significant step forward. Kinda like how Calgary kept making stupid additions hoping to contend for the cup but missed the playoffs every time.

If we trade him we should be aiming for someone 22-25 coming back. Otherwise we may as well keep edler as he's closer to an age that he can help us in 3-4 years when we could possibly peak again. Then we go out and get the hard nosed vet.

You have some really good points. Especially the part about realizing where Edler might be when we peak again.

I just feel as though it would be a trade from our strength to slighly address a weakness. Hartnell is a likeable guy around the league which would help with the new image. He seems like a good guy to have around the dressing room around younger players. He's versatile. And I think he'd perform well in a pressured atmosphere like Vancouver during the playoffs.

But I like the points you and Shink9 have made. Anyone thinking that with the refundable season ticket idea that ownership didn't like the rebuild/retool idea? That it was part of the reason why Gillis got canned? Interesting to see how the offseason plays out. If we would plan on signing a big name free agent and make some moves to try and compete now (not what I want). Than this Hartnell trade might make a little more sense

You have some really good points. Especially the part about realizing where Edler might be when we peak again.

I just feel as though it would be a trade from our strength to slighly address a weakness. Hartnell is a likeable guy around the league which would help with the new image. He seems like a good guy to have around the dressing room around younger players. He's versatile. And I think he'd perform well in a pressured atmosphere like Vancouver during the playoffs.

But I like the points you and Shink9 have made. Anyone thinking that with the refundable season ticket idea that ownership didn't like the rebuild/retool idea? That it was part of the reason why Gillis got canned? Interesting to see how the offseason plays out. If we would plan on signing a big name free agent and make some moves to try and compete now (not what I want). Than this Hartnell trade might make a little more sense

Edler is a superstar. With Linden now president he's not going anywhere. Everyone thinks this too that Edler is going to be traded blah blah blah. Honestly he's not going anywhere. If Edler can score the Stanley Cup winning goal in video games he can do in real life too. That's how much faith I have in Edler.

Edler is a superstar. With Linden now president he's not going anywhere. Everyone thinks this too that Edler is going to be traded blah blah blah. Honestly he's not going anywhere. If Edler can score the Stanley Cup winning goal in video games he can do in real life too. That's how much faith I have in Edler.

-34 +-. Thats all I have to say...

No doubt Hartnell would bring the locker room leadership but i feel thats a strong suit we already have as well. Hart and selke winners, bieksa hamhuis burrows... but yeah ive been thinking a trade from our defense to our top six could be a good move for the past 2 years too.

What we could really use motivated youth and i think you could get that in a edler deal. In my opinion, I'd rather trade him to detroit for any one of their young prospects and a pick. Or if philly really wants him, a guy like matt read may fill our top six needs now and not be 35 when we peak again. Even then i still think we're better off with edler but I think its still a better option than Hartnell.

Also keep in mind our Cap situation going into next season. We are in a spot we havent been in in a while with cap space. Still got some RFA's to sign but the Luongo trade opened up a fair bit of room. If we buy out booth there's even more. We have the space to target a key free agent, so i think trading to fill that top six vacancy should be plan B(unless you're trading for a young star). It just sucks that we'd have to sign one for 6 years or something if we do go that route.

By the way I appreciate the way you post. Its a lot more fun to discuss hockey with someone who respectfully acknowledges your points and doesnt talk as their opinion is the only thing that matters haha. its quite rare on here.

Burrows and Hartnell are actually very different players. The only thing they have in common is neither is a true top line player but they fit well with top line skill players.

But as far as comparison goes Burrows is much better defensively and a much better skater. He is like a 2 way agitator with enough skill to compliment a top line.

Hartnell on the other hand though is bigger and plays much bigger. Hartnell will double up Burrows in hits some years sometimes even 100 more hits in a season as well as being much more eager to drop the gloves. Hartnell's game is also built more in front of the net. He uses his size to stand in tight quarters and box out surrounding defenders looking to rip a 1-timer with someone still on his back or pound in a rebound. This makes Hartnell a monster on the powerplay. Burrows has 12 power play goals in his entire NHL career, Hartnell has 9 this season alone, his season high is 16 and he has 87 in his career. So Hartnell is more of a power forward.

Hartnell may start to decline in the upcoming years given he is in his 30's now though I wouldn't say he already is declining. His season numbers are still among his general averages and when you factor in the Flyers bad start and how he was scoreless until game 10 before getting it going like the rest of the Flyers he has 20 goals and 50 points in his last 65 games.

With that being said I do think Edler has more value than Hartnell.

With all the re-organizing going on I'd hold off on the Edler proposals. If people want Edler to be the 2 way/offensive style D man that seems to fit him, the Canucks need to go and get a solid RH defenseman to pair with him (remember how good he can be with salo). Tanev could be that guy, but he's not really geared to play top 2 minutes, maybe? Problem is Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison probably arnt going anywhere either so getting that partner for Edler is going to be tough.

Hartnell is 31. If we want to get younger he wouldn't be worth going after unless we are moving veteran pieces. Elder is 4 years younger. That is a lot of years in hockey terms. Personally I think we should deal Edler since he is getting closer to 30 himself. (@ 27). I am confident Linden and crew will make the right move though. :D Look forward to see how things progress.

Don't need Hartnell. Overpaid and too many years left on contract.

The length of his contract is the only concern as it expires when he is 37. Though he isn't overpaid in cap hit. 4.75 is actually a pretty good cap hit for what he produces. For example since and including Kesler's 41 goal season he has a goals per game average of 0.364 and plays 20 minutes per game. Hartnell since that same year has a goals per game average of 0.328 and averages only 16 minutes a game. Offense is what gets you paid, it's a good cap hit for his production.

-34 +-. Thats all I have to say...

Considering that every player on the team had pretty much the worst year of their collective careers, I'm willing to give Edler a little consideration and let him have a do over on this year!

I don't think Torts has been a good influence on many of the players this year!

Archived