The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Because in his 15 years his highest scoring threats were Erat and Legwand and possibly Mike Fisher. That speaks volumes.

He develops rough prospects into polished players like Hamhuis Suter Weber and more. He also doesn't mess around with anyones crap, see the Kostitsyn bros.

The guy can coach, he has class. He's a perfect fit for this stable of once high scoring players and solid prospects

He's also the reason why they lost Radulov to Russia.

No he's not.

Radulov was an entitled Russian and horrible teammate that refused to buy into the system.

Radulov went to Russia because of Radulov.

Radulov went back to Russia because Trotz benched him.

Sounds like a player who isn't fit for NHL hockey ^

He might be spoiled, but he was probably their best offensive player. He sat out 2 games in the playoffs 2012 against Phoenix, so that's probably the reason why he left in the off-season.

I shake my head at your posts more and more sometimes.

The immediate decline and drop off of the pp and scoring is directly attributed to the loss of our puck mover in Ehrhoff. Not because all of a sudden all of our forwards forgot how to score. We have a glut of 20+ goal scoring or potential players. Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Kassian, Hansen, Matthias and possibly Jensen or any other call ups.

But the one thing we don't have....

We have no Keith comparable puck moving blue line stud. Our blue line is getting older with NO replacements of the calibre we need moving forward.

Pouliot/Bennett and a 1st is a solid haul. And again, Stastny, Spezza and more....the Ducks have a MUCH deeper pool of centers to play with than Kesler who will be horribly over priced.

Seriously, everyone needs to get their crap together and give their heads a shake. The Ducks kicked tires on kesler, period. Doesn't mean they'll be prepared to gut their depth to get him because the Canucks will ask for it all when they have so many better options available.

29 other teams in the league the Ducks can play with, the Canucks have 29 other teams to play with. kesler could go anywhere if he gets traded.

Back to the matter at hand, Trotz would be a great coach to pick up in the event of a Pitts trade and a Maata or Pouliot coming back. Don't kid yourself. We need that Norris calibre blue liner, Trotz could turn Pouliot or Maata into a Norris calibre Dman, he could also work wonders with Cederholm (pouliots pairing in Portland) Stanton, Tanev and Corrado.

Love to see Trotz make the team

While I agree with most of what you say, Warhippy, I don't with regards to the fall off of the PP being directly tied to the loss of Ehrhoff entirely.

We still had a decent PP the year after he left. This season we had to adjust to the loss of Newell Brown which had as great an impact, in my mind, even though I thought his last year was subpar.

Watching Radulov play in that playoff series, was a good enough reason for Trotz to bench him. Same with the Kostitchen (sp) brother, who appeared to not want to be there.

Production-wise, he was their best player in the playoffs though.

I shake my head at your posts more and more sometimes.

The immediate decline and drop off of the pp and scoring is directly attributed to the loss of our puck mover in Ehrhoff. Not because all of a sudden all of our forwards forgot how to score. We have a glut of 20+ goal scoring or potential players. Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Kassian, Hansen, Matthias and possibly Jensen or any other call ups.

But the one thing we don't have....

We have no Keith comparable puck moving blue line stud. Our blue line is getting older with NO replacements of the calibre we need moving forward.

Pouliot/Bennett and a 1st is a solid haul. And again, Stastny, Spezza and more....the Ducks have a MUCH deeper pool of centers to play with than Kesler who will be horribly over priced.

Seriously, everyone needs to get their crap together and give their heads a shake. The Ducks kicked tires on kesler, period. Doesn't mean they'll be prepared to gut their depth to get him because the Canucks will ask for it all when they have so many better options available.

29 other teams in the league the Ducks can play with, the Canucks have 29 other teams to play with. kesler could go anywhere if he gets traded.

Back to the matter at hand, Trotz would be a great coach to pick up in the event of a Pitts trade and a Maata or Pouliot coming back. Don't kid yourself. We need that Norris calibre blue liner, Trotz could turn Pouliot or Maata into a Norris calibre Dman, he could also work wonders with Cederholm (pouliots pairing in Portland) Stanton, Tanev and Corrado.

Love to see Trotz make the team

The lack of scoring isn't because of a puck moving defensemen, it's because players like Daniel, Higgins, and Burrows can not play top 6 minutes and perform to the level a contender performs, we disagree so I won't continue

While I agree with most of what you say, Warhippy, I don't with regards to the fall off of the PP being directly tied to the loss of Ehrhoff entirely.

We still had a decent PP the year after he left. This season we had to adjust to the loss of Newell Brown which had as great an impact, in my mind, even though I thought his last year was subpar.

*Salo was still here.

Sorry for insulting your favorite coach-option. Just speaking out the truth regarding Radulov and Trotz.

Nope.

He might be spoiled, but he was probably their best offensive player. He sat out 2 games in the playoffs 2012 against Phoenix, so that's probably the reason why he left in the off-season.

Sure he's got skill, but it's not like he is lighting it up winning games with another NHL team right now.

I'm more excited about the possible Trotz hiring than Benning. Trotz will get this group, with a bit of tweaking, back to the top. Benning is a good choice though.

Ya but, everyone put the demise of the Canucks on MG's shoulders, so a good GM is a must.

Letting AV go and trying Torts for a year basically shows that the issue was the team, not the coaching.

IE, we got to the cup final in 2011, then went downhill...bringing in a new coach didn't solve anything...and look at AV now, 2 wins away from being in the SCF.

Watching Radulov play in that playoff series, was a good enough reason for Trotz to bench him. Same with the Kostitchen (sp) brother, who appeared to not want to be there.

What world is Hedman living in. Radulov and Kostitchen(?) were benched after a night of boozing it up

before a playoff game. Talk about a guy only there for the pay cheque. Radulov is a classic example of why I would never build a playoff team around a Russian other than Datsuyk or Larianov.

The 2nd time he sat him out was because he "didn't want to change a winning formula". Great way of losing out on your most talented offensive player.

Meaning he was a horrible teammate and not willing to buy into the system.

You don`t win with players like that no matter how talented they are.

It shows Trotz has the balls to make tough decisions when players don`t buy into the culture of the team.

Because in his 15 years his highest scoring threats were Erat and Legwand and possibly Mike Fisher. That speaks volumes.

He develops rough prospects into polished players like Hamhuis Suter Weber and more. He also doesn't mess around with anyones crap, see the Kostitsyn bros.

The guy can coach, he has class. He's a perfect fit for this stable of once high scoring players and solid prospects

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014122007.html

Wrong. Forsberg, Kariya, Arnott, Erat, Legwand and hell even Hartnell were on this team.

Still couldn't get past the 2nd Round. I'm iffy on Trotz.

Archived