The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Are you outta yer mind? That was Thornton 2.0!

Eriksson is a Selke quality forward at RW.

Smith is a young potential 30 goal scoring RW

Fraser has high-end 3rd line scorer/banger potential.

Morrow could be a LH top pairing d-man alongside Hamilton for a decade.

They got the equivalent of multiple 1st round picks and prospects. Not even close to the Thornton deal.

Boston needed to fit under the cap and maintain organizational depth and Seguin didn't fit into their plans, on or off the ice. Peverley, a 3rd line player, may never play again for all we know. Button is a spare part.

This is the exact framework of a type of deal the Canucks need. Boston will win this deal after 5 years looking back.

They got the equivalent of multiple 1st round picks and prospects. Not even close to the Thornton deal.

Boston needed to fit under the cap and maintain organizational depth and Seguin didn't fit into their plans, in or off the ice. Peverley, a 3rd line player, may never again for all we know. Button is a spare part.

This is the exact framework of a type if deal the Canucks need.

:picard:

Boston needed to fit under the cap and maintain organizational depth and Seguin didn't fit into their plans, on or off the ice. Peverley, a 3rd line player, may never again for all we know. Button is a spare part.

This is the exact framework of a type of deal the Canucks need. Boston will win this deal after 5 years looking back.

Exactamundo! .. whoever put that deal together knows how to read 'potential' very well .. we should hire him, and soon ..

I would've prefered the MG Tortorella route regardless of what the popularity meter says

I was and am an MG supporter (he largely did a good job IMO) but you must be daft if you don't think Benning has the capacity to be even better. And Torts....just no :blink::picard:

Exactamundo! .. whoever put that deal together knows how to read 'potential' very well .. we should hire him, and soon ..

:lol::P:towel:

I was and am an MG supporter (he largely did a good job IMO) but you must be daft if you don't think Benning has the capacity to be even better. And Torts....just no :blink::picard:

:lol::P:towel:

I, too agree, that MG did a good job. But, Boston won this one, even if Seguin scores 125 points per. Boston got some pretty good players and prospects in that deal. And Toronto still sucks.

I, too agree, that MG did a good job. But, Boston won this one, even if Seguin scores 125 points per. Boston got some pretty good players and prospects in that deal. And Toronto still sucks.

Most importantly, they did it quickly and received quality back. There was little rumours of Seguin being directly shopped before this deal went down within days. It set them up to enter FA with holes in the roster filled and cap space to add at UFAs.

It's much like the Staal deal. Hard circumstances to win under, especially when you are moving the asset with the highest perceived value in the deal, but it was done quickly and efficiently. Needs were addressed, money saved and future built.

No drama. Everyone in Vancouver should appreciate that fact.

Boston needed to fit under the cap and maintain organizational depth and Seguin didn't fit into their plans, on or off the ice. Peverley, a 3rd line player, may never play again for all we know. Button is a spare part.

I agree that was a very good trade for Boston. Seguin is a great player but Boston got so much depth and future for him. At the same time it was a good trade for Dallas in getting their 1st line center for Benn. In the end Boston wins the trade. Fraser, Morrow, Smith are all great young guys to add. Eriksson was the player everyone here was drooling over for our 1st line, Boston had him on their 3rd

Most importantly, they did it quickly and received quality back. There was little rumours of Seguin being directly shopped before this deal went down within days. It set them up to enter FA with holes in the roster filled and cap space to add at UFAs.

It's much like the Staal deal. Hard circumstances to win under, especially when you are moving the asset with the highest perceived value in the deal, but it was done quickly and efficiently. Needs were addressed, money saved and future built.

No drama. Everyone in Vancouver should appreciate that fact.

That's my appreciation of it. I really liked Mike Gillis. But he always took too long to make key moves, Luongo especially.

That's my appreciation of it. I really liked Mike Gillis. But he always took too long to make key moves, Luongo especially.

Those two goalies, probably killed any chance that Mike had, to stay on as GM. He was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't, thinking he was going to get quality back for both of them. Now the jury is still out, and will be for a few more seasons, until we see how well Horvat turns out. SM might get a chance to become a more consistent player here, but, so far he's going to now have to impress a whole new coaching staff and GM, to see if he pans out. I guess the whole team has that to look forward to though.

Not sure if mentioned by anyone or not but Seguins partying was out of control. The last straw was when they couldn't get him to behave himself for the 2013 playoffs. He has done well in Dallas and maybe will mature but I agree that it was a decent return. Sometimes quantity just can't buy quality though.

Archived