The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Exactly, that's why he is worth keeping. The restructuring helped, but I don't think people should be happy until heads roll.

Would be concerned that Benning would keep Snepts around because he's an old buddy?

That might be one pitfall of Benning.

FTR, I don't. I believe he can make tough decisions but it'll be a question that'll be raised.

some food for thought, its been made clear that benning was not part of the scouting staff that drafted kessel, lucic, or marchand. he came in the year after

when u take a closer look bennings draft record with the bruins is not actually that great.

some food for thought, its been made clear that benning was not part of the scouting staff that drafted kessel, lucic, or marchand. he came in the year after

when u take a closer look bennings draft record with the bruins is not actually that great.

this is my feeling as well.

by comparison, paul fenton's draft record includes paul kariya, ruslan salei, steve rucchin, mike leclerc, matt cullen, ryan suter, shea weber, kevin klein, alex sulzer, alex radulov, mike santorelli, pekka rinne, patric hornqvist, cody franson, blake geoffrion, roman josi, colin wilson, and anders lindback, among others.

he's also been involved in acquisitions and was responsible for bringing selanne to anaheim in 1996.

he also runs the milwaukee admirals, who won the calder cup in 2003-04 and have made the ahl playoffs a record 12 straight years.

so yeah.

It has happened in the past where a newly hired GM is excluded from passing on any information to his new team, and it's actually a common clause for many other jobs as well where an employee could be poached by a competing company. Typically for a GM they'd set a time frame around that limitation or base it on an event like the draft or free agency, but it does come up.

Again, that's not to say Benning couldn't come here and be a major factor in hiring a coach, trading and re-signing players. They'd likely just restrict him from the draft since that's been a focus of his with the Bruins and they just want to protect their interests while still allowing Benning to take the promotion.

Do you have an example of this happening before or is this just some idea of yours. I have never heard of it being done before and wonder how they could even possibly enforce what you are saying.

If you look at their stats, Delorme left the team one year before Benning joined.

Either way I just have no idea why half this team's scouting department still has a job. Only two worth keeping are Crawford and Gradin, in my most humblest of opinions. Amateur side of things, anyways.

I'd drop Gradin too. Enough of Sweden already. Bring in some real Canadian hearts. The players that would play for the Cup every winter day in back alleys and on ponds. Those are the ones that ultimately win Cups.

It has happened in the past where a newly hired GM is excluded from passing on any information to his new team, and it's actually a common clause for many other jobs as well where an employee could be poached by a competing company. Typically for a GM they'd set a time frame around that limitation or base it on an event like the draft or free agency, but it does come up.

Again, that's not to say Benning couldn't come here and be a major factor in hiring a coach, trading and re-signing players. They'd likely just restrict him from the draft since that's been a focus of his with the Bruins and they just want to protect their interests while still allowing Benning to take the promotion.

Botterill's a name that's been tossed about for a while now, but I had to look up Burke. Another guy with a scouting/development background so there'd still be questions around if he could participate in the draft with us this year considering his role with San Jose. But he seems like someone worth looking into.

Now I really want to hire Benning (the ex-Canuck)... B)

There would be no way to enforce such a thing, if Benning Joins our team before the draft. Even if he isn't in the war room, communication happens. It kind of just sounds like a gentleman's agreement. It would be ludacris to think he wouldn't help. "Oh sure bruins I'll throw my first chance to make an impact at my new job down the drain because I used to work for you guys." While I don't know about specifics of the contracts/wording I'll have to take your word for it but it seems pretty ridiculous to even expect such a thing out of an ex-employee. The only real way to do this is not let him interview until after the draft. Also if Benning had such restrictions do you think he'd be rumored so much to be moving out of Boston?

We don't know much about the contracts but like we are hearing about with Torts/MG they had buy-out clauses we didn't know about. So some of these hockey guys should probably have talked to Benning and know if he can or cannot take a new job. If he can I assume there isn't draft police who will be making sure he doesn't help us. Of course I am just using conjecture but it seems like things like this run through the media pretty fast.

I'd drop Gradin too. Enough of Sweden already. Bring in some real Canadian hearts. The players that would play for the Cup every winter day in back alleys and on ponds. Those are the ones that ultimately win Cups.

So your suggestion to have better drafting results is to have zero scouts in Europe?

Awesome. sauce.

There would be no way to enforce such a thing, if Benning Joins our team before the draft. Even if he isn't in the war room, communication happens. It kind of just sounds like a gentleman's agreement. It would be ludacris to think he wouldn't help. "Oh sure bruins I'll throw my first chance to make an impact at my new job down the drain because I used to work for you guys." While I don't know about specifics of the contracts/wording I'll have to take your word for it but it seems pretty ridiculous to even expect such a thing out of an ex-employee. The only real way to do this is not let him interview until after the draft. Also if Benning had such restrictions do you think he'd be rumored so much to be moving out of Boston?

We don't know much about the contracts but like we are hearing about with Torts/MG they had buy-out clauses we didn't know about. So some of these hockey guys should probably have talked to Benning and know if he can or cannot take a new job. If he can I assume there isn't draft police who will be making sure he doesn't help us. Of course I am just using conjecture but it seems like things like this run through the media pretty fast.

Actually, it would be enforced in exactly the same way Tampering would be enforced.

And your spelling of ludacris is ludicrous.

Kypreos has a head injury. :sadno:

Benning has lots of experience, especially in evaluating players and building a championship team.

IMO, Benning has already agreed to join the nucks and has told Trev he didn't want Torts as the coach.

The Bruins are trying to hold it up so that the Nucks will have to give them something in return to let Benning leave early.

I think your right cause why would canucks wait a month to fire torts not when gillis fired and not right after season ended

I hope anyways sounds like a good canidate

Among many others, Lidstrom and Forsberg say hi.

Among many others, Lidstrom and Forsberg say hi.

Exactly.

Franson,Zetterberg,Backstrom,Lundqvist,Kronwall,Eriksson,Ulf Samuelsson,Alfredsson....

Ohlund,Lingren,Naslund,Gradin,Sundstrom,Samuelsson and the twins.

Loved watching Hakan Loob play,Kent Nillson was super-skilled and Borje Salming was awesome(whom broke the NA ice).

Exactly.

Franson,Zetterberg,Backstrom,Lundqvist,Kronwall,Eriksson,Ulf Samuelsson,Alfredsson....

Ohlund,Lingren,Naslund,Gradin,Sundstrom,Samuelsson and the twins.

Loved watching Hakan Loob play,Kent Nillson was super-skilled and Borje Salming was awesome(whom broke the NA ice).

Off the top of my head, two Swedes who have won cups :)

Detroit had seven Swedes on the roster when they won the cup in 2008.

So much for the Canadian theory,

2008 Red Wings

This team featured seven Swedes, including Nicklas Lidstrom who became the first European captain of a Stanley Cup champion. Henrik Zetterberg became the second European to win the Conn Smythe, following Lidstrom's precedent in 2002. The Red Wings have credited the sharp eye of their Sweden-based director of European scouting, Hakan Andersson, for helping them reel in this talent. In addition to Lidstrom and Zetterberg, the Wings drafted Niklas Kronwall, Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen. The two other Swedes, Mikael Samuelsson and Andreas Lilja were signed as free agents.

https://www.thepostgame.com/blog/list/201105/stanley-cup-champions-nhl-sweden-russian-finland-usa

Could Pavel Bure possibly be a dark horse to become GM?

Runs team Russia, part of the Linden era, probably understands what it takes to make an entertaining hockey team while protecting those players with the right kind of tough guys.

Archived