The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

The dude messed up for sure, in time. However, the prospect of signing Messier to play with Mogilny and Bure, at the time was seen as a stroke of genius. However short lived.

Then came the C event.

Linden traded to NYI for Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd (Ruutu).

McCabe and 1st '00 (FLA from Bure trade) for 1st '99 (CHI - 4th overall)

1st '99 (CHI - 4th overall), two 3rd picks to TBL for 1st '99 (TBL)

1st '99 (TBL) to Atlanta for 2nd overall (ATL)

Canucks pick 2nd '99 (Daniel), 3rd overall (Henrik)

Bertuzzi, Allen, Auld to FLA for Luongo, Kraijcek, 6th selection

Luongo to FLA for Matthias, Markstrom.

The Messier event is still paying off dividend.

In hindsight, Messier isn't so bad...

He was, is and always shall be a 'doosh-nozzle' in mine eyes, so save your research, please ..

The trade history is what it is, and GMs did some good things for the team with the resources they had from that shameful period in our time.

But bringing in that bald-headed ugly SOB appeared to have killed Linden as a player, while he was in his prime. And the horrible play Messier provided while on the Canucks made me think he was still playing for the Oilers/Rangers. He sure set up enough goals for our opposition with weak passes in his own end. Just plain ugly.

Sure, I cheered when he scored, but I can't imagine any other Canuck more hated by Canuck fans than Messier.

I would advise you not to believe everything you hear. Are the folks talking fellow employees or customers?

If they know a lot of people at the Canucks front office, can they provide you with a name?

I'm not going to be self righteous and tell you not to be that guy, because in the end it's your choice to post what you want. You may draw the ire of some though. And they are an unforgiving lot.

Only for those who try to be that guy.

And for anyone named Tiger Singh, The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Proballhockeyplayer and Dal Colle.

The trade history is what it is, and GMs did some good things for the team with the resources they had from that shameful period in our time.

But bringing in that bald-headed ugly SOB appeared to have killed Linden as a player, while he was in his prime. And the horrible play Messier provided while on the Canucks made me think he was still playing for the Oilers/Rangers. He sure set up enough goals for our opposition with weak passes in his own end. Just plain ugly.

Sure, I cheered when he scored, but I can't imagine any other Canuck more hated by Canuck fans than Messier.

I second that emotion.

So I work at a Source For Sports down in Whiterock and there have been rumours swirling from people who know the GM's and front office of the Canucks that once Benning is introduced he is going to bring on Trotz and the deal is Trotz wants SHEA WEBER to come along with him to the canucks so the Canucks are gonna try and package a deal with NSH that would include KESLER and Weber as the centerpieces of the trade .. now this is all speculation but the people at my work do know a lot of people in the Vancouver Front Office.

I know a guy who lived in the same neighborhood as Hamhuis who also knew a guy who went to the same school as Brett Connolly who was born in the same hospital as Sydney Crosby and he said not to trust chain rumours.

I know a guy who lived in the same neighborhood as Hamhuis who also knew a guy who went to the same school as Brett Connolly who was born in the same hospital as Sydney Crosby and he said not to trust chain rumours.

Who's Sydney Crosby?

Just saw on TSN Bob Mckenzie, said that with the hiring of GM Benning, Benning has also decided to bring on John Weisbrod as assistant GM for the team. He was the assistant GM for the Calgary Flames until being fired.

Not been confirmed anywhere but Bob Mckenzie just now on the tsn panel has said that. Im guessing that is the end of Lawrence Gilman's job?

Just heard on the TSN panel Bob Mackenzie stating the belief was that Benning would bring in John Weisbrod as an Assistant GM.

Now that would be off the board. Worked with Benning in Boston until his move to Calgary. Seems very highly thought of.

Here's the scoop on him:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/from-the-magic-to-flames-to-where-next-for-weisbrod/

Just saw on TSN Bob Mckenzie, said that with the hiring of GM Benning, Benning has also decided to bring on John Weisbrod as assistant GM for the team.

Not been confirmed anywhere but Bob Mckenzie just now on the tsn panel has said that. Im guessing that is the end of Lawrence Gilman's job?

Weisbrod brings not only NHL experience but was the GM for the Orlando Magic as well.

Interesting.

I'm glad it's an entirely new person who has no history with the Canucks. Had it been someone like Lawrence Gilman it essentially would've been like having Mike Gillis Junior take the helm of the team. I don't think we would've been seen too many changes in terms of the look of the team or the general direction the team was heading in.

It will be interesting to see what direction Jim Benning decides to take this team in

Archived