The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I can't even imagine how CDC would react if our coach benched our best offensive guy in the playoffs, twice. I've seen that before, and that's Salavat Yulaev's goalie coach, not just his coach. I highly doubt it's intentional, he apologizes right after hitting him.

Doesnt look unintentional to me.....

Great hire by Linden..Hopefully the leadership will permeate throughout the whole organization and make the Canucks a great destination for players to play..

Is Benning actually going to start trading guys throughout the summer..?...You would think that he would be wanting to evaluate them (watching them play) first.

That decision might just be taken out of Benning's hands, as TSN reported that Trotz was interviewing for the Capitals job...

Personally, I think there are a few good options. My preference is Stevens, (it was last time around as well) but I would be fine with Trotz as well. The key is not to hire the wrong guy, as we did last season.

Caps dont have a GM yet. Plus if Benning and Linden are really interested in Trotz im pretty sure they will get their chance at interviewing him.

Ok sorry, you had Pouliot/Bennett plus a first so I thought you were saying Pouliot and Bennett were interchangeable.

Oh no, I am still of the mind that for a player like Kesler it is an A grade prospect A grade rookie player still under ELC and a 1st round pick or sub that rookie for another 1st and 2nd.

Fair value

I have a hard time seeing Pits trading Pouliot: (1) they need help on defence, and (2) would a new GM really come in and trade away a potential Norris D-man for Kesler?

I'd love to have Pouliot but unfortunately don't see it happening.

You want a beast like Kesler, you have to give something up. Thats how it works. If the penguins want Kesler they will have to give up Pouliot since they wont give us Matta.

Great hire by Linden..Hopefully the leadership will permeate throughout the whole organization and make the Canucks a great destination for players to play..

Is Benning actually going to start trading guys throughout the summer..?...You would think that he would be wanting to evaluate them (watching them play) first.

I would bet good money that there are some significant changes to the roster this summer. Benning and Linden know that standing pat will be a PR disaster and will threaten season ticket sales and therefore financial results going forward.

The new regime needs to put their stamp on things as much for business reasons as on ice reasons. Say what you want about Torts, he was bang on that this core is stale. They are also getting older, slower, and less motivated with each passing year.

They are not equipped to play the style Linden keeps suggesting he wants and that Benning was a big part of building in Boston.

So I just did a quick check of Buffalos draft history while Benning was a scout there, and you guys thought our drafting was bad.. yikes. Aside from top picks like Vanek, a lot barely played in the NHL and if so, not high caliber plays besides Pominville. I only checked 1st and 2nd round picks so there may have been later picks but I figured 1st and 2nd are generally when you get the better players.

So I just did a quick check of Buffalos draft history while Benning was a scout there, and you guys thought our drafting was bad.. yikes. Aside from top picks like Vanek, a lot barely played in the NHL and if so, not high caliber plays besides Pominville. I only checked 1st and 2nd round picks so there may have been later picks but I figured 1st and 2nd are generally when you get the better players.

43 percent of the players he was involved in drafting played in the NHL.

That number is amazing in the scouting world.

All in all, as a member of the Sabres and Bruins, Benning had a combined 47 of 109 players drafted play in the NHL, an impressive success rate of 43 per cent.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=720223

Uh oh .. damn, I wish Trevor had known that!

Oh no, I am still of the mind that for a player like Kesler it is an A grade prospect A grade rookie player still under ELC and a 1st round pick or sub that rookie for another 1st and 2nd.

Fair value

Id be happy with Pouliot and a 1st round pick but Im extremely high on Pouliot.

Puliot just had surgery today and is out 4-6 months. Tomorrow, Maatta getting surgery. He is possibly out 4 months.

WOW really? Have a link? Hmm that might be a good or a bad thing, they might be much more willing to trade Pouliot now if he is out for a long period of time.

Benning has a ton of great relationships.

Now we'll actually be able to trade with teams that aren't named Florida or Buffalo.

Plus he comes from a team that is very powerful in the NHL circle and very well connected. He brings instant credibility to the Canucks front office with the NHL, which may help more than people think.

Archived