The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Yes. I was all in favor of having a 'wang weigh in'

The guy with the biggest junk gets drafted 1st overall and so on down the line.

LOL, you'd love to be incharge of the testing, just to make sure it's done fairly right :bigblush:

they're 18 year old boys dude, stop being nasty.

why the heck do the passport details even matter

are all Swedes softies? are all Fins agitators?

all Canadians have heart?

look at all the cup winners since the lock out very few small euros, particularly wingers. It's not the politically correct thing to say, but it's true.

Selanne was like 170 pounds when he was drafted. Dont forget he didnt come over until he was 22 years old. He was about 183 by then.

I know. I was there during his rookie year, honestly he looked so tiny on the ice in comparison....but hey. I guess he accomplished nothing with that size and all right? No record setting calder year for him because of his size right

It must be terribly frustrating for some people to want a certain player so bad they will argue for 44 pages about it when at the end of the day they really have no say in the matter anyhow.

It's easier to just see the positives on all prospects in our range and be glad we get one of them. I can see Ehlers being a great fit here, Dal Colle would be nice, Jake Virtanen is good BC kid and we all love BC kids.

I know. I was there during his rookie year, honestly he looked so tiny on the ice in comparison....but hey. I guess he accomplished nothing with that size and all right? No record setting calder year for him because of his size right

Wasn't that 20 some odd years ago? Not really a fair comparison. Especially considering they are nothing alike, game is different. Using comparisons is unfair and is easily manipulated with only positives or negatives.

It must be terribly frustrating for some people to want a certain player so bad they will argue for 44 pages about it when at the end of the day they really have no say in the matter anyhow.

There is some crap, but there is also some very intelligent discussion with some valid points. If you're above all this, why are you on this forum in the first place?

You used specific examples where the high point total guy flopped and the low point total guys like Oreilly flourished.

You probably might want to include all the high point guys who flourished and low point guys who flopped so we can see a direct comparison.

Thats the point of what I was saying. It's pointless to say Ehlers will be the next Pavel Brendl or Patrick Kane. Both players have extremely high skill, one flourished, one didn't. Ehlers also has high end skill but the thing is Ehlers is neither of them. He's his own person, every sign factors that both those players had will be different to what lies ahead for Ehlers. It's dumb to say "this person did this" so a good chance "he will do that". That why rate the player on a scale of overall attributes and not compared to what past hockey player have done. Rate Ehlers on Ehlers alone.

There will be some big time meltdowns on draft day, especially with a high draft pick. Christ if the Canucks trade down they will have to put CDC on lock down mode.

Wasn't that 20 some odd years ago? Not really a fair comparison. Especially considering they are nothing alike, game is different. Using comparisons is unfair and is easily manipulated with only positives or negatives.

I never actually made the comparison actually.

I am only saying that when Selanne entered the league he was under 190 pounds. Burgger guy made a reference call about it so I reminded him/her how big Selanne actually was when they entered the league.

I was never sold on the size issue as his size shows he will fill out in to the phenotype of todays electric NHL scoring winger. 6 feet (ish) 195 pounds (ish). He'll have the physical tools which is the point people keep trying to pick apart.

Again, I never made a skill comparison to Selanne. Only pointed out his size when he entered the league.

Thats the point of what I was saying. It's pointless to say Ehlers will be the next Pavel Brendl or Patrick Kane. Both players have extremely high skill, one flourished, one didn't. Ehlers also has high end skill but the thing is Ehlers is neither of them. He's his own person, every sign factors that both those players had will be different to what lies ahead for Ehlers. It's dumb to say "this person did this" so a good chance "he will do that". That why rate the player on a scale of overall attributes and not compared to what past hockey player have done. Rate Ehlers on Ehlers alone.

I really dont think hes either. These are the comparables the talking heads and scouts use on them all. Not just Ehlers. Its comforting to know as fans we are getting the next blah blah........

To say who Ehlers reminds me of is honestly Pavel Bure. A watered down version skill wise obviously. But that too is because we had so much access to Bure for years.

You are right. He will be Ehlers . No more , no less.

I did put up the rating but besides you and I , there was nobody else willing to take the chance.

I haven't intruded on to the arguments here but I will ask you this.

If Ehlers is our pick, and he sits in development for the 3-5 years he rightly should, to not only grow but for us to make room on our roster for him by letting contracts run out or trading.

If he does what his body will naturally do and pack on 20+ pounds of lean muscle and grows another inch or two and becomes the same size as the current league leading forwards are you STILL saying no to him? HOW MANY PLAYER DRAFTED 3-5 YEARS AGO HAVE PUT ON 20+ LBS OF LEAN MUSCLE AND/OR HAVE GROWN AN INCH OR TWO, WHICH YOU CHANGED FROM 3 TO 4 INCHES

I myself have no qualms about Ehlers Ritchie or Virtanen being picked. They all bring unique skill sets, Ritchie being probably the more redundant as we have a few big guys of that calibre now. Virtanen being an intangible because his projected cieling is kind of unknown for his actual age and growth possibility in skill and physicality.

But Ehlers will indeed top out at or near 200 pounds before he ever sets foot on an NHL surface in an NHL jersey if we draft him.

Are you then STILL saying with centers like Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels and whoever else we have along the way and wingers like Shinkaruk, Kassian and more that he is a bad choice? WHY DO YOU ASSUME ALL THESE GUYS WILL BE REGULAR NHL PLAYERS?

If half of his skill is realized he is a Koivu light. If all of it is realized...who knows really. IT MATTERS THAT KOIVU IS A CENTER, BECAUSE EHLERS IS A WINGER, COMPARE HIM TO WINGERS;

I will not gripe about anyone we pick so long as it is not Nylander. But Ehlers and or Virtanen would benefit this club best in the future.

And you really would have a hard time saying that he wouldn't be a welcome addition to this club at age 21 and 6 feet tall or taller around 200 ish pounds. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE HE WILL EVER BE THIS SIZE.

Edit* About Selanne, his best goal scoring year as a rookie he was under 190 pounds and closer to 180...I know I was there, he was tiny and it looked like Carlyle could eat him for breakfast

LOL, you changed your comments on Selanne, ###THERE IT IS FOLKS#####

look at all the cup winners since the lock out very few small euros, particularly wingers. It's not the politically correct thing to say, but it's true.

Oh great Guru. You are right. This is the main reason why we draft players is based on this kind of incredible elimination by racial deduction. If the guys heritage and genetic stock has not appeared on a cup winner recently, then they are an inferior breed.

Perhaps we can send them to work camps in Poland?

I was wonder though;

Can we draft Nylander? Hes small euro trash , admittedly. None of my friends associate with anyone like him (of course) but can we draft him great Guru?

After all, he plays center. Therefore he wont HEX our hockey team and we might (if we have enough good ol Canadian boys of course) win a cup !!!

In fact, unless we are certain to win a cup, why draft at all? We need proof dammit. Cup or bust. :mad:

Unfortunately, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY has ever won a stanley cup while in a Canucks Uniform. It might not be 'politically correct' but hey...........we gotta call it like it is :)

Ergo we cant have anyone actually play for the organization because once that player puts on a Canucks uniform, he automatically has no chance to win the cup. History confirms it .

Sure the Millionaires won the cup but they are not the Canucks franchise. Too bad. Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I realize..................there was no Euro trash wingers on the 1915 Millionaires either :towel:

Therefore its a specific Canucks condition. Go look it up. :)

I am terribly sorry but this narrative does not fit the great Guru's vision for a better experience through Canadian Hockey players. Your post shall be sterilized and expunged.

Archived