The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Trotz not returning with Preds

Nooo way. He's a great coach but not the coach we need. We need Tortorella. He actually cares and he brings emotion. We need that

He brings too much emotion and despite his promises when hired can't contain that emotion which results in embarassing out bursts and undisciplined play by players following his lead. Trotz if you ever watched him on the bench is an emotional guy but he keeps that emotion in check enough to be level headed when needed and win the respect of his players.

He brings too much emotion and despite his promises when hired can't contain that emotion which results in embarassing out bursts and undisciplined play by players following his lead. Trotz if you ever watched him on the bench is an emotional guy but he keeps that emotion in check enough to be level headed when needed and win the respect of his players.

Too much emotion isnt possible. You want emotion. I think he's a great coach. He actually cares. Too much maybe but that's way better then not enough.

Too much emotion isnt possible. You want emotion. I think he's a great coach. He actually cares. Too much maybe but that's way better then not enough.

The Canucks horrible play after he lost against Calgary say's too much emotion (as in unable to control yourself and lead your team with a level head) is possible.

The Canucks horrible play after he lost against Calgary say's too much emotion (as in unable to control yourself and lead your team with a level head) is possible.

The Canucks were blowing chunks well before that. They had 1 win in the entire month before that game.

They won 3 of 4 until losing 7 straight after that. His 15-day suspension had more to do with the team's total meltdown than the tantrum itself. The players were even praising Torts after that game. None of their post-game interviews suggested that he lost the room at that moment.

Guest Dasein

I heard Trotz wouldn't leave Nashville to coach another team, and would just stay in the city.

I don't have sources though. Can't remember where I heard it - I think TSN.

Wouldn't be surprised if Trotz doesn't return to hockey immediately - make a year or two hiatus.

I heard Trotz wouldn't leave Nashville to coach another team, and would just stay in the city.

I don't have sources though. Can't remember where I heard it - I think TSN.

Wouldn't be surprised if Trotz doesn't return to hockey immediately - make a year or two hiatus.

"I'm just sitting and watching and Im just hoping that the right situation would come around where I would be a candidate."

"I welcome any challenge in the NHL and that doesnt scare me at all. Ive never been scared of a Canadian market even when I was younger and more naive. Maybe 10 years ago I would say I was ready, but probably wasnt, but a lot of water has gone under the bridge and Ive dealt with a lot of markets on both sides of the border. I understand the media. I get it. Im prepared for anything and thats what experience brings you."

OK, first coaching candidate right there.

The only reason they won any games was because of his coaching. The question is whether he would be able or willing to coach a more uptempo style if he had the players to do so.

I'm all for Trotz if he can implement a higher scoring puck possession system into the Canucks.

Real classy guy, would be good for the Canuck's image as well.

Would be a great coach but we don't need a defensive style coach again

There's already two threads on this in General Hockey.

But no, Trots is a good coach but I'm not sure he's right for our team. As much as he hasn't had a lot to work with he hasn't had a lot of success either and we need someone that can coax more offence out of our team (even if we might benefit from the defensive upgrade).

People who label Tortz with a 'defensive' style don't seem to know much about the circumstance of what

he had to deal with in Nashville. Your race car anology is great. Problem Tortz had to deal with was

other teams steeling the tires off his car every off season. Top that with ownership saying he could

only have so much gas to run a 500 mile race. Beauty of Tortz is he is a western Canadian who already

knows what it takes to play in the West.

As others have said, Trotz had very little to work with in terms of player personnel, he also was able to get a lot out of players who for lack of a better word...suck.

Martin Erat: 58 points in 71gp in 2011-2012

Sergei Kostitsyn: 50 points 77 gp, Martin Erat 50 points in 64 gp 2010-2011

J.P Dumont: 65 points in 82gp 2008-2009

2007-2008 season two players had 72 point seasons, Jason Arnott and J.P Dumont, also Radulov had 58 points in his 2nd year as a pro.

The caliber of players he was given throughout his tenure was, modest to say the least. Outside of Radulov he never had any dynamic top 6 player, look at Chicago, they have 4 of those players and they average around 70-80 points each. Trotz was able to get 60-70 point seasons from plugs like Erat, Dumont. Yes he does emply a defensive minded style of hockey, but I don't believe it's a defense first at all costs mentallity.

It's also hard to argue against him being one of the top coaches in the world...if you have a chance of employing one of those coaches, I think you jump on it.

I doubt anyone really thinks this team is going to challange for the cup next year, if anything, we'll be fighting desperately just for a playoff spot, would it not be worth it to take a chance on a coach of this caliber to see what he can bring to the table?

One more upside of Trotz, he is more than willing to play young players, and seems to develop them quite well.

Hornqvist, Smith, Wilson, Jones, Ellis, Jarnkrok, Radulov. As for true top end talent, when the Preds had Kariya, he put up 85 point and 76 point seasons in his two years with them...those are offensive numbers.

Wonder what he would do with this offense. And if he could salvage our defensive group.

Couldn't do any worse than torts

But I think this hire will be the last chance for this core.

Important hire. Just like the GM

10th in '05/'06: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20052006&gameType=2&viewName=goalsFor

5th in '06/'07: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20062007&gameType=2&viewName=goalsFor

12th in '07/'08: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20072008&gameType=2&viewName=goalsFor

8th in '11/'12: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20112012&gameType=2&viewName=goalsFor

I'd be happy to play a boring Trotz brand of hockey if it meant we'd win games. We've lost all the skill we once had and now have a team full of plugs and grinders, with a solid blueline and good young goalies - VERY similar to Nashville's playoff teams of old, with a couple of veteran leaders who can score 1 or 2 goals to break a tight game open.

All due respect to Tortorella but his style hasn't fit in Vancouver at all. Our team is better suited to Trotz. Either make trades to fit Tortorella's fast opportunistic offence from forechecking with quicker, more skilled forwards or give in and match our current team easily to Trotz's style of play.

Archived