The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What has Trevor inherited and what can be done?

Brick Tamland

How about we just support the team

Not sure if serious? The thread is discussing the current state of the team, not sure how that's not supporting them.

Goalie situation is a bit messed up. Would like to see sedins afforded a bit of rest, as a 1B line but don't see what 1a would be currently

Trading Schneider and Luongo weren't big changes?

Considering we got one player playing consitently in the line up for both of our starting goalies I would say no. We went from two really good goalies to one shaky youngster and one that wasn't trusted with game time until we were statistically eliminated from playoffs.

More like

----- HORVAT KESLER

SEDIN SEDIN JENSEN

HIGGINS RICHARDSON KASSIAN

BOOTH MATTHIUS BURROWS

SESTITO

HAMHIUS TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

STANTON CORRADO

WEAVER

LACK

MARKSTROM

I SEE ONE GLARING HOLE WHICH IS TOP LINE LEFT WINGER AND POTENTIALLY BETTER GOALTENDING. WE HAVE LOTS OF ROOM FOR THAT TOP LW. I ALSO INCLUDED EDLER AS A NO SHOW VIA TRADE. IF BOOTH IS BOUGHT OUT THEN SIGN SANTORELLI INSTEAD FOR CHEAPER TO FIND CAP SPACE FOR THE NEEDED PIECES.

You're delusional if you think horvat could/should centre the top line next year.

And all caps don't make your points sound any better.

More like

----- HORVAT KESLER

SEDIN SEDIN JENSEN

HIGGINS RICHARDSON KASSIAN

BOOTH MATTHIUS BURROWS

SESTITO

HAMHIUS TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

STANTON CORRADO

WEAVER

LACK

MARKSTROM

I SEE ONE GLARING HOLE WHICH IS TOP LINE LEFT WINGER AND POTENTIALLY BETTER GOALTENDING. WE HAVE LOTS OF ROOM FOR THAT TOP LW. I ALSO INCLUDED EDLER AS A NO SHOW VIA TRADE. IF BOOTH IS BOUGHT OUT THEN SIGN SANTORELLI INSTEAD FOR CHEAPER TO FIND CAP SPACE FOR THE NEEDED PIECES.

OH MY GOD LETS ALL JUST TYPE IN CAPS.

What I would do is probably trade certain players to teams contending for the Stanley Cup. I'd deal the Sedins to Detroit, Kesler to Tampa, and meanwhile let the team tank next season, and rebuild through the draft. Counting on getting a better scouting staff led by Jim Benning, and drafting either McDavid or Barzel, and proceeding to rebuild the team around them. Only then could we start attracting top free agents, who might actually take pay cuts to play here if everything is in place.

Um... no?

The Canucks are actually in pretty good shape. Trade Kesler and Edler and you have the bulk of a retool/rebuild and might be playoff bound next year.

Bieksa and the Sedins I think would stay but you never know.

The Sedins, even though I might want to trade them too, are Canucks for life.

The lineups posted on this thread are still just the Canucks as they are. Burned out has beens. Teams like the Ducks and Sharks and Boston, Chicago, etc are way tougher and bigger. Drastic changes take a while so unless Linden comes up with some real Hockey Wizards to help him run things, the next few years are going to be boring. This is why he should keep Torts the best interview in the league.

If Burrows cannot resume his stellar play of years past the team needs a premier winger for the first line,serious help for Kesler and a premier ,puck moving d man.

Some guys are going to have to go to provide that cap space or a hockey trade needs to be made with existing personnel that are deemed expedient.

This all hinges on Kesler and the new GM.The new GM may/should wait half a season before doing anything at all.

If Burrows cannot resume his stellar play of years past the team needs a premier winger for the first line,serious help for Kesler and a premier ,puck moving d man.

Some guys are going to have to go to provide that cap space or a hockey trade needs to be made with existing personnel that are deemed expedient.

This all hinges on Kesler and the new GM.The new GM may/should wait half a season before doing anything at all.

These guys aren't going anywhere if they don't want to...

Linden has inherited a group of over-rated has beens. No immediate help on it's way, in for a crap rebuild that will be 7-11 years. What can be done? We could trade Jensen+Edler(some cap retained), our 1st 2014+ our 2nd 2015 for the 1st overall and select Reinhart, maybe speeding up the rebuild 4-5 years, immediately injecting him and Horvat into the lineup.

Um... no?

The Canucks are actually in pretty good shape. Trade Kesler and Edler and you have the bulk of a retool/rebuild and might be playoff bound next year.

Bieksa and the Sedins I think would stay but you never know.

The Sedins, even though I might want to trade them too, are Canucks for life.

No, I'd sooner rebuild from top to bottom through the draft. This core is getting old - what Torts pointed out ain't no secret. Maybe they might have something left in the tank - a simple retool could be all it takes. But if they fail to win, it won't be long before people calling for Linden to be replaced.

It would be far better to blow up the team now, tank it and aim to get McDavid or Barzel next year - rebuild the team around a young new core. The fans would forgive Linden for blowing it up now and losing than if he aims high with this core, misses the mark, and then implodes like this. Better not take that chance. Deal everyone off to contending teams like Tampa, Detroit, or Dallas.

I for one think we are in great shape for a rebuild. The fact that we have 2 or 3 young prospects coming into our line up next year is great relief. They offer great salary cap flexibility giving the team more options to shore up any other weaknesses. Now that Linden is back with the Sedins as captains, you know that the prospects will have ever opportunity to learn from great leaders. What we really need is that true sniper the Sedins lack. Not some throw it on the wall and see if it sticks but a true sniper. We are all set.

Oh and the goaltender position also needs an upgrade.

It's the exact same!!! Except older.

Oh and for significant players it's like we traded Schnieder and Lou(players gillis inherited) for Hammer & Garrison.(ones he brought in)

I disagree.

Nonis left behind

-core vets (Sedins, Luongo, Mitchell)

-non core vets (Naslund, Morrison, Salo, Ohlund)

-notable trade chips??

-existing young roster players on the rise (Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, Bieksa, Hansen, Rypien)

-few prospects in the AHL/Juniors speak of except Schneider (Bourdon RIP)

MG left behind

-core vets (Sedins, Hamhuis)

-non core vets (Burrows, Higgins, Garrison, Bieksa)

-notable trade chips** (Kesler, Edler)

-existing young roster players on the rise (Tanev, Kassian, Lack)

-existing prospects in AHL, who have seen NHL time: Jensen, Corrado,Markstrom, Lain, Archibald, Zawelski

-several prospects Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Ericksson, Cassels

MG left behind more useful pieces IMO. It won't be THAT difficult to navigate.

There are young roster players who will continue to take on larger roles. There are also a younger tier of players coming up in the pipeline.

There are FAR MORE useful veteran players whether it be retaining them, or trading them to improve roster with the return.

I think reality is if we want to improve we need to take the following steps. How we do it is another issue

1. Clearly the Sedins are going nowhere. Firstly, they won't waive, secondly, Trev has too much respect for them. Third, they underperformed and are better players than they showed. We saw flashes but this whole team was discombobulated this year. Its a mulligan move past it, they are not done, and moreover are going nowhere. If anyone gets that its Trev, he never wanted to leave, he knows what it feels like to be the face and heart of this team/community. They will stay.

2. So, then we have to ask, of the vets, who can be moved? Well other than Higgy and Hansen, really the rest of the group has NTC's. Higgy's is limited.

3. Of those two, assuming we re-sign Santo, those three all bring the same thing to differing degrees. With Matthias you don't need 4 of them for your third line. Hansen, given the free movement, and really subpar season, likely is the guy that moves. While I think he also had an off year, someone has to move to free up salary. Perhaps we can package him with our 6th overall to Edmonton, who is in need of vets and moreover, defensive minded ones for their 3rd. If they ask for a 3rd rounder with it take it.

4. Booth needs to be bought out. Yes he improved but he's not being paid as a 3rd liner and we've had enough seasons to see he's not what he's being paid for. If he was making 2-3 ok, but he's not, and we need the cap space.

5. Ok those are the low hanging fruit. Now the hard decisions. One or two 'core' vets has to be moved to get a different mix. Is that Kesler, Edler, or Garrison? Those are the three most likely and clearly, Kesler gets us the most in return, potentially, that return is also limited by who he'd waive to.

Do I want Kesler gone? No, not if we can free up the cap space to sign a guy like Stastny, etc.

Edler? Well I don't think he'll waive but I do think he needs a change of scenery. I still think he has an all star in him, but something is amuck with him here and perhaps he simply needs a fresh start. Downside is, do we really get his worth now after a terrible year, answer to that is no.

Garrison - just needs to be moved. Maybe Edmonton as well? Don't know if he'll waive

those to me are the real options here. I also think the fact that Trevor has the Sedins/Bieksa/Kesler stand up front in the post season presser, really was a message about who is core/untouchable vets are.

I don't believe Kes is going anywhere if he truly wants to be here. Trev will move him if he wants out but that's the only way.

Archived