The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What has Trevor inherited and what can be done?

Brick Tamland

This team needs to retire the Sedins. Linden cannot be sentimental about his moves. AV did not play the Sedins in all situations, and that was a problem but it saved them to some extent. The problems with that system of AV's are many and it eventually cost the team. Maybe they don't want to retire, they could trade them to Tampa.

So Mike Keenan who traded Linden would make the ideal manager. He will dismantle and rebuild quickly and decisiflly.

It's the exact same!!! Except older.

Oh and for significant players it's like we traded Schnieder and Lou(players gillis inherited) for Hammer & Garrison.(ones he brought in)

This team has better vets, better role players, somewhat more valuable/trade-able assets and (perhaps most importantly) an INFINITELY better prospect pool. Like not even close. It's laughable how much better it is.

Linden's in good shape.

More like

----- HORVAT KESLER

SEDIN SEDIN JENSEN

HIGGINS RICHARDSON KASSIAN

BOOTH MATTHIUS BURROWS

SESTITO

HAMHIUS TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

STANTON CORRADO

WEAVER

LACK

MARKSTROM

I SEE ONE GLARING HOLE WHICH IS TOP LINE LEFT WINGER AND POTENTIALLY BETTER GOALTENDING. WE HAVE LOTS OF ROOM FOR THAT TOP LW. I ALSO INCLUDED EDLER AS A NO SHOW VIA TRADE. IF BOOTH IS BOUGHT OUT THEN SIGN SANTORELLI INSTEAD FOR CHEAPER TO FIND CAP SPACE FOR THE NEEDED PIECES.

A team that is on the downfall. The team is desperate for a youth injection, just like what the Sharks got. But our new wave is not ready yet and it may be too late by the time it is. Can't be afraid to shuffle the core, I know it's hard to do with all the NTC.

The worst thing Linden can do is to try and rush a rebuild. There needs to be a strategy to challenge for the Cup in 3-5 years and so the Canucks need to evaluate every player and prospect with that time frame in mind. If they are not going to be productive players in 3-5 years...they should move whomever they can, soon and get draft choices and prospects. Kesler is great...but we need a 23 year old version of him, not a 30 year old.

On the plus side, we have the bunch of prospects coming and a high pick this year. Not all will make it but some will. I hope the owners have vision and will allow a slow and proper re-build, not some knee jerk reaction to missing the playoffs.

A team that is on the downfall. The team is desperate for a youth injection, just like what the Sharks got. But our new wave is not ready yet and it may be too late by the time it is. Can't be afraid to shuffle the core, I know it's hard to do with all the NTC.

What level of "ready" would you consider acceptable? Kassian, Matthias, Jensen, Tanev, Stanton and Lack (add debatable Markstron) are "ready" and contributing now.

I fully expect Horvat on our third line next season, possibly Corrado and an outside chance of one of Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Cassels, Kenins or perhaps this years 6th pick as well. If not next year than the year following surely one or two of them will be able to make the jump.

What level of "ready" would you consider acceptable? Kassian, Matthias, Jensen, Tanev, Stanton and Lack (add debatable Markstron) are "ready" and contributing now.

I fully expect Horvat on our third line next season, possibly Corrado and an outside chance of one of Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Cassels, Kenins or perhaps this years 6th pick as well. If not next year than the year following surely one or two of them will be able to make the jump.

You may see youngsters who aren't NHL ready to play bottom 6 minutes as Linden and the Sedins did. Watch them grow before our eyes. Just like Pavel, Trevor and the Sedins did. I believe this what Linden wants.

I think Linden has taken over at the best possible time as this year was a year from the twilight zone.

Linden would really have to blow it to have a worse year.

He has inherited a veteran team with some up and coming youth and a reasonable prospect pool.

The biggest problem is making room for the youth while getting something for the vets moved.

This team is better than what they showed this year, however there is work to be done.

Edler and Kesler will be here next year unless they want out.

The players that may be moved are guys like Hansen, Santo, Higgins, Booth, Sestito, Dalphe.

This team has better vets, better role players, somewhat more valuable/trade-able assets and (perhaps most importantly) an INFINITELY better prospect pool. Like not even close. It's laughable how much better it is.

Linden's in good shape.

What? The team stats are the worst they've been since 1999!! They were the only team in the NHL this season that didn't break 200 goals. There season was terrible. The veterans of the 2011 cup run are in decline, you need to take off your rose colored glasses and face the facts. It isn't important what those players did in the past, it only matters what they're doing now, which is playing well below the an NHL level both as a team and as individuals. Successful GM's would have started retooling in 2012 and getting younger but Gillis decided to stand pat and run the same aging core for another 3 years while only making changes to the bottom 6 role players.

Here is what I would like to see happen:

Booth- get rid of him. He has proven he was a flash in the pan. His 20-30 goal seasons are a thing of the past. He isn't worth 4.25 million.

Burrows- get rid of him. His success on the top line was because of the twins. He has always been a 3rd line guy, now he's being paid as a top line guy and not performing at that level

Edler- He came here with a lot of potential but I think he has plateaued. We should be able to get a decent return for him.

Use the cap space to get a big strong top line winger to crash the net and make room space for the twins. Someone who can also finish. Also, trade Markstrom and try to get a goalie who is above average and willing to split the games with Lack. Schnieder maybe?

The worst thing Linden can do is to try and rush a rebuild. There needs to be a strategy to challenge for the Cup in 3-5 years and so the Canucks need to evaluate every player and prospect with that time frame in mind. If they are not going to be productive players in 3-5 years...they should move whomever they can, soon and get draft choices and prospects. Kesler is great...but we need a 23 year old version of him, not a 30 year old.

On the plus side, we have the bunch of prospects coming and a high pick this year. Not all will make it but some will. I hope the owners have vision and will allow a slow and proper re-build, not some knee jerk reaction to missing the playoffs.

very fair point and as a result there are a number of players that are much more valuable to cup contenders, or young teams in need of vets (Edmonton/Islanders)

that being said, we also have to be mindful of not dumping all our experience only to end up like the oilers and islanders.

people need to realize, chicago and pitts won a cup how? with some highly talented young players surrounded by strong veteran players

we need a re-tool not an abandon ship...people saying fire sale have no idea what it takes to win in any team sport, you don't win by trading away trophy winning vets and playing 18 yr olds

moreover, after you do that and they lose miserably for years, you create a culture of losing which becomes hard to break, look at the oilers as the textbook case.

if they dont get some vets in there soon, to correct their mix, they are going to bust all that young talent.

I do agree on your point of thinking 3-5 years out and who will be around and able. Kesler will only be 33 so he's not 'old', that being said, he has alot of mileage on him.

Would a cup contender value him highly now yes, so it depends on the price

Guys I would think about shopping

Kesler - depends on price Philly/Isles/Pitts

Hansen - to Edmonton or the Isles, maybe as part of a swap of picks

Garrison - Edmonton or Isles

Booth - Isles

Edler - Isles/Det/Edm/Philly

Nope.

So after Gillis took over and a bunch of players had career highs in points, goals etc., you think that those remaining players are going to set new highs for points?

I honestly don't see any Canuck that will even come close to the level of production they were at, or in other words... They are past their prime.

Who do you think is still able to do what they did a few years ago?

From the New Year to olympic break the team went 4-13-2. If we went 9-8-2 instead over that stretch we would be sitting in 8th.

I think the team is average, on the older side but not THAT old and some good young prospects coming up. A 6th overall pick should be ready to go in a couple of seasons and we have some cap space to make adjustments.

Trade Booth and try to trade Burrows or Edler, possibly buy one of them out.

Jurco & Smith for Edler would be a good way of getting rid of Edler's contract, clearing some space, and acquiring young assets who can contribute right away.

There are a few things worth mentioning on why Booth would be a good option to be retained. Can you find another player in the open market with his price tag that can do what he can potentially do? Personally I would take Booth over Moulson any day and this guy is rumored to be in the 5-6 million dollar range. As much as the fans wanted him gone, there was never really an article saying that Booth was even shopped even as a rumor. I honestly hope that one day a coach may try putting Booth and Kassian with Kesler in one line. Can you imagine if all three went Beast mode. No better second liner. All three can bang, skate, Booth has speed, Kassian has shown his play making ability and Kesler gets more room on the ice to shoot from since his linemates can take up so much of the ice. Kassian has been knocked for his defensive abilities, why not pair him up with an offensive and defensive guy like Kesler so he can learn a few things.

There are a few things worth mentioning on why Booth would be a good option to be retained. Can you find another player in the open market with his price tag that can do what he can potentially do? Personally I would take Booth over Moulson any day and this guy is rumored to be in the 5-6 million dollar range. As much as the fans wanted him gone, there was never really an article saying that Booth was even shopped even as a rumor. I honestly hope that one day a coach may try putting Booth and Kassian with Kesler in one line. Can you imagine if all three went Beast mode. No better second liner. All three can bang, skate, Booth has speed, Kassian has shown his play making ability and Kesler gets more room on the ice to shoot from since his linemates can take up so much of the ice. Kassian has been knocked for his defensive abilities, why not pair him up with an offensive and defensive guy like Kesler so he can learn a few things.

and that's where your post became laughable.

very fair point and as a result there are a number of players that are much more valuable to cup contenders, or young teams in need of vets (Edmonton/Islanders)

that being said, we also have to be mindful of not dumping all our experience only to end up like the oilers and islanders.

people need to realize, chicago and pitts won a cup how? with some highly talented young players surrounded by strong veteran players

we need a re-tool not an abandon ship...people saying fire sale have no idea what it takes to win in any team sport, you don't win by trading away trophy winning vets and playing 18 yr olds

moreover, after you do that and they lose miserably for years, you create a culture of losing which becomes hard to break, look at the oilers as the textbook case.

if they dont get some vets in there soon, to correct their mix, they are going to bust all that young talent.

I do agree on your point of thinking 3-5 years out and who will be around and able. Kesler will only be 33 so he's not 'old', that being said, he has alot of mileage on him.

Would a cup contender value him highly now yes, so it depends on the price

Guys I would think about shopping

Kesler - depends on price Philly/Isles/Pitts

Hansen - to Edmonton or the Isles, maybe as part of a swap of picks

Garrison - Edmonton or Isles

Booth - Isles

Edler - Isles/Det/Edm/Philly

I agree with this. Blowing it up at this stage of the game would guarantee us an Edmonton-like half decade of futility. We missed the boat after 2011 where we should have been looking to inject youth when our moveable players values were at an all time high (one of the reasons Boston and Chicago and Detroit have sustained their levels). We need to trim some of the excess third liners and redundant D-men for whatever we can get in order to make room for 2 prospects and start grooming them. If MG did us one favour, it's that he has most of our guys signed to reasonable contracts which will help when trying to move them, but I wouldn't expect a lot of return as we are no longer trading from a position of strength.

Linden's in good shape.

Agreed

Archived