The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can we please get over this obsession with size? Make Canuck Hockey fun to watch again

Hank Moody

I have to somewhat agree with OP on this one. I dont think that drafting a single player means that is the direction that we will go. Rather if we drafted a guy that is 5'11" he will only complement the size we already have in our system. Not mentioned in one of the previous posts is that Patrick Kane is only 5'11". No I am not saying that any of the guys at 5'11" eligible for the draft are comparable but they do have the skill to reach that level. To have complementary players of that size will make your team better if they can inject speed and skill that your bigger guys can't. I dont want a team that plays defensive hockey but I Dont want a team like Edmonton or Montreal either. There needs to be balance

The skilled teams had the luxury of the 1st overall picks, etc. We don't fit the bill.

The Boston series should have proved what the problem was with this team, but it was too late. Bye bye, Gillis.

Size helps win battles. Size helps insulate skill. Since there are no Marios kicking around our roster...

Exactly, in order to get elite skill and size you need to draft in the top 5 for a few years. I wouldn't mind Ritchie if not for his injury problems. If I knew he could overcome his injury problems I would have no problem drafting him. Perhaps that's the risk you take when you draft him

Exactly, in order to get elite skill and size you need to draft in the top 5 for a few years. I wouldn't mind Ritchie if not for his injury problems. If I knew he could overcome his injury problems I would have no problem drafting him. Perhaps that's the risk you take when you draft him

Scroll up bud i know its a long @$$ article but it is a good read cheers.

Gretzky claims in his biography that he always came dead last on strength tests on all of the pro teams he played on..

Gretzky was also protected by his team at all cost. Something the Sedins never had.

Montreal just got much better by adding size and skill. Players like Gionta and Camarrelli at the time were struggling hard.

I never said the Hawks were tiny. I said they were skilled. They didn't model their style on toughness and size. They modeled their style on speed and skill and offense.

Successful teams are based on all of the above: speed, skill, size and toughness.

I'd prefer our 94 Canucks over the '11 Canucks, now that was entertaining hockey. A team that battled and tried hard every single night, even if they weren't the most skilled team in the ice. Canuck hockey has always been about using your butt, we've lost that the last 4 years

94 team had underperformed in the regular season, there were suppose to challenge Calgary for the division. They got hot at the right time and the Nedved trade really gave them a boost.

Apart from Chara and Lucic boston is an average size team. You do need some size, but speed, skill and an agressive mindset/playing style are just as important. Marchand is small, Bergeron is not huge. Kejci is not big either.

Apart from McQuaid, Hamilton, Thornton, Florek, Caron, Soderberg...Bergeron is 6'2"/200 and that's half the skaters on the team over 6'2"

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

But most of all it's the Big Bad Bruins attitude that makes them "Big" They all play big. Marchand is a good example, stature small sure but plays like a jerk. But you make a point it makes no sense to be just big, there has to be a mix of both

Apart from Chara and Lucic boston is an average size team. You do need some size, but speed, skill and an agressive mindset/playing style are just as important. Marchand is small, Bergeron is not huge. Kejci is not big either.

A lot of folks appear to think of only height when they talk about "size".

Lain is listed at 6' 6". Lucic is listed at 6' 3". Who is the bigger man? Lain is listed at 210 lbs. Lucic is listed at 235 lbs. Now who is the bigger man?

The Sedins are listed at 6' 1" and 6' 2", but only 188(ish) pounds, as is Burrows. Marchand is in their weight class, and he's 5 inches shorter.

regards,

G.

Archived