The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long for the Canucks to rebuild and be a contender again?

fanfor42

Depends how fast these guys develop and enter the roster mix for a much needed youth infusion

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Gaunce

Cassels

Fox

1st/2nd rounder 2014

1st/2nd rounder 2015

Jensen

Kassian

Corrado

Tommernes

Hutton

Subban

Lain

Kenins

Liberati

McEneny

Eriksson

Zalewski

Andersson

Blomstrand

McNally

Friesen

Labate

Grenier

Cederholm

The top six are pretty much solidified in the West

SJ

ST Louis

Chicago

Anaheim

Colorado

LA

So it means the Canucks have to best the rest of the conference for 7/8 spot ... Could take a couple years to do that then another 2-3 years to crack the top six if they trade and draft smart

The first question is certainly not how long will it take. I think that's a relatively irrelevent question.

The first question is what moves will make the team better?

The Luongo deal was a good answer to that question.

Now the question is: what moves will make the team better?

Next.

Getting ahead of themselves and attempting to fabricate a contention timeline isn't the course imo.

A couple good, opportune moves and things could turn around much faster than people anticipate imo...and conversely...

One step at a time.

Imo the right GM is cruicial, as is resetting the coaching staff.

Lots of talent on the roster and some easily moveable assets if a retool is decided upon.

Good solid prospects in the system and a 6th overall to add.

Healthy cap and contract situation to work with.

A compliance buyout in the hole for contingency/flexibility.

I think Linden, the new GM, and the new coach are stepping into a pretty favourable set of circumstances.

You only need to look at the cores of the strong teams around the league.They really only have 3-5 gems that drive the bus,and they keep surrounding them with different players.The Canucks have a lot of assets albeit NTC protected ones.If they step up and just do it they would end up with a crop of young guys that could dominate for a long time.They have to make sure they select warriors though if they want playoff success.Having said that I'd be shocked if they rebuilt they will just play the blame game till they have nothing.

3-5 years

I say that's true after the sedins are gone, probably 6-10 in all reality. Chicago, St. Louis, Colorado & Anaheim are too strong to compete with while in a decline. Not to mention Dallas has lots of young potential. And if Edmonton could shake that losing culture they could be dangerous. Minny also has lots of fire power if they can retain molson and pominville. When shink, jenson, horvat & the next couple years of draft picks are 24-28 I expect us to be good again( if we keep them and they are as good as advertised) in all reality I think we will be irrelevant for nearly a decade unless we get a mcdavid-type player.

Depends how fast these guys develop and enter the roster mix for a much needed youth infusion

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Gaunce

Cassels

Fox

1st/2nd rounder 2014

1st/2nd rounder 2015

Jensen

Kassian

Corrado

Tommernes

Hutton

Subban

Lain

Kenins

Liberati

McEneny

Eriksson

Zalewski

Andersson

Blomstrand

McNally

Friesen

Labate

Grenier

Cederholm

The top six are pretty much solidified in the West

SJ

ST Louis

Chicago

Anaheim

Colorado

LA

So it means the Canucks have to best the rest of the conference for 7/8 spot ... Could take a couple years to do that then another 2-3 years to crack the top six if they trade and draft smart

Statistically 1 in 6 prospects become nhl mainstays, 1 in 5 could be achievable so realilistically you could pick a 5th of your list as players who may be impact for us. TL and the new GM have alot of work ahead of them. Us as fans will need alot of patience.

Edit; The Canucks have drafted 61 players in the last 10 drafts. Of those 61, only 5 played the equivalent of a full season for us.

If we trade a couple vets and make some good drafting decisions, I dont think it would take that long. We should trade Kesler if we can get decent value back. For young players/prospects like (Pouliot)(Couturier)and just bite the bullet and tank next year for a high pick. We could be contenders or at least exciting to watch in 2 or 3 years.

IMO it is all about how well Van can leverage older vets into younger talent. Canucks are dealing from much more strength than Calgary or Edmonton when they started. Pitt & Hawks spent years in the cellar. Van downfall in the past was a willingness to be satisfied making playoffs rather than be serious contenders.

As it sits right now I do not see anyone on the Van roster that a CUP winner could be built around. Perhaps the Twins one more time but that might short change future teams in a big way. I stand by a call for a 20 - 24 year old timeline. Assume the Twins can be effective top 6 players for another 3 years, rebuild both the 2nd & 3rd lines. 2 of the top 4 d-core will probably go as well. Van has to find a young puck moving dman.

Van fans seem to forget that there are a number of very good hockey teams in the last 5 years who have never got to a CUP final. There is no mechanical process that guarantees a repeat of 2011. That might not happen again in 20 years. That is why it is so special.

Archived