The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Fired

Strombone1

Okay so he stormed the other teams dressing room and showed that he cares. Big deal.

Actually,it was an entirely different matter other then "caring" and it was a "big deal" as he was fined ,suspended and now fired.

Had to happen. Trevor represents the new beginning. The stench of this past season needed to be blown out of the Rog. May not be 100% fair to Torts, but it ultimately doesn't need to be. He gets his buyout, the team gets it's new direction.

boring defensive hockey - wins championships. aka new jersey.

but so did the blackhawks with an exciting style.. I like the blackhawk model - so tank for a few years here, get mckinnon, and then cup

edit: of course we'd have to make real changes and trade the old core... else we wouldn't tank. and the new gm / coach need to make the playoffs... so won't happen. as always, short term gain, long term loss...

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations Trevor Linden announced today that Head Coach John Tortorella and Assistant Coach Mike Sullivan have been relieved of their coaching duties. “Today we are making an important change in the direction of our team,” said Linden. “On behalf of the entire organization, we extend our thanks to John, Mike and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and wish them the very best.” “We have a lot of important work to accomplish this off-season as we build our management and coaching staff, improve our roster and connect with our fans,” added Linden. “Our General Manager search is well underway and we will begin assessing head coaching candidates immediately.”

Great move Linden!! Like how he fired Torts buddy Sully but kept Glen Gultzan who actually did pretty decent in Dallas after his GM traded away all the Stars, ummm stars.

I think Torts deserved to have one more season...

I hope we get Trotz. He is always able to get the best out of his players...he had no goal scorers to coach in Nashville and they still did well (perfect for Vancouver :P ). I'm sure he can adapt his style to coach the Sedins and Kesler and make us a dangerous team.

So how many other players are gonna get fired because of the Sedins? The goaltending is gone. AV is gone. Who's left, Bieksa? Kesler?

We have A young star in Eddie lack, why be a pundit? Why contribute to the goalie graveyard, lack will be great, a la, quick, a la niemi..

Well let's hope the PP is a bit better next year eh. Since that 2011 season it's been pretty crap. Predictable. Hopefully we'll get a guy with more than a Plan A.

I'm scratching my head here wondering why some think that Torts deserved another year. The team massively underperformed with a roster stacked with talent. The coach is accountable for that. And Torts going 'postal' earlier in the season showed what a poor hiring decision this was. When you don't perform changes are needed. You guys need a calm and seasoned coach - the 'in your face' style just doesn't mesh with this club.

So how many other players are gonna get fired because of the Sedins? The goaltending is gone. AV is gone. Who's left, Bieksa? Kesler?

Probably lots. Sedins are untouchable whether you like it or not. They were drafted by the Canucks and will retire as Canucks. Besides once Linden is fired who do you think is going to replace him? The Sedins!

Archived