The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Fired

Strombone1

Lack's performance fell less than the overall team performance.

I personally thought how Lack played and dealt with the pressure of this market, his new role as starter and the team playing crappy hockey in front of him was actually a bright spot :lol:

"Lack was playing better than Luongo at the time".

And how did that move work out for us later on? Lack finished the season at .912, well below Luongo's .917. Say what you will, that was the move that broke the Canucks' back last season.

Lack had better stats when in the correct role - as a backup, as he needed more seasoning. It was the wrong time for the move, and the wrong time for this one. Again - wait a year. Let Bobby Lou play and let Lack grow into the job. Same with Torts. A panic move here.

I'd assume that you're quoting my post indirectly there.

First, your point is moot - the decision to start the guy who is playing better at the time is far better reasoning than attempting to hindsight months later. I said it at the time and I repeated it in that post - I believe the primary reason Luongo found himself on the pine in that situation is because of his (once again) loose lips - if he doesn't chirp about being trapped here, I wonder if he's actually gone - and for me personally, that was about the last straw, particularly with the horrible timing. The team was coming off two of it's worst months in history, he sure as hell did very little to stem it with his average-at-best performances, there were lots of sharks in the water looking to take advantage, and there's Luongo exercising poor discretion and taking a shot at his organization. I'm thankful in retrospect, and am more than pleased with the return, given how badly his "contract sucks" and how immoveable he was. Kudos to Torts for taking a strong position at the time in the best interest of the future of the organization. Lack did just fine behind a very shaky team, and Luongo went to pressure-free Florida where he wanted to be all along.

The Tortorella firing is anything but a panic move. It's a highly rational move imo that Linden subjected to a reasonable process, and likely got feedback from his primary GM candidate as well. There are some good coaches available - a number of them arguably considerable upgrades. I am relieved Linded carried through and decided to take a corrective direction.

The thing that bugs me about this is not the fact that Torts was fired, there are other coaches who are just as capable and others who are more capable than he is to move this team in the right direction....what bothers me is just this general acceptance that "playing hard, back-checking hard, blocking shots, and being accountable" is a system that "doesn't work" for this core group of players.

That seems to me to be a pretty huge problem.

Thought Linden might wait to hire GM first. Was hoping Torts would get another year with some holes filled in the lineup.

Wrong core for a coach like Torts. Not a fan of a coaching carousel to find the right fit for your players.

Good Luck Torts, loved your passion and tenacity.

They lost in the Eastern Conference finals while he was in PHI. But ignoring the strong play LA has displayed over the years while he has been there, I like the style of hockey both teams bring: hard hitting and aggressive, but skilled and defensively sound. Trouble is, like Torts, not sure he can bring that style of hockey to VAN without some major changes.

They had good success the one year after missing the playoffs his first year, but then they lost in the first round after a better regular season finish the following year. In his final year with Philly, they were sitting at 10th in the East in Deecember when they were considered a contender and he got the ax. There was a good stretch in there, but I'm just saying it's not a glowing part of his resume (unlike his time in the AHL and his current time with the Kings).

Sounds like an oxymoron, I know. But when Trotz had offensive talent he had offensive success, and he gets the most out of his players.

yup, but many people here just like to piggyback on what they've heard, rather than actual knowledge.

The problem is that he wasn't playing significantly better than Luongo at the time. Luongo was doing just fine. The troubles the team was having had nothing to do with him.

The plan was to play Bobby Lou and let Lack settle in for a couple years as a backup. There was no need to rush him into the starters role this season.

I agree, had Bobby Lou played terribly, it would have made sense, but he was playing just fine.

As for Torts, same deal. This move didn't have to happen now. I would have supported letting Gillis stay on with Torts and Lou for another season. None of these three were responsible for the season that we had and not all three are gone while the source of the problem remains...

Sure, maybe the Canucks will hit paydirt. It's much easier to make things worse rather than better.

That playing hard, backchecking and blocking shots is a problem for this core..."

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is all sound, solid hockey the way the game has always been played. It's not like Torts is insisting that they play fundamentally unsound hockey.

That's a stretch, there was still a lack of depth when the team was completely healthy. The team needs Jensen plus another prospect to make the team and contribute, then also acquire a powerplay quarterback and 2nd line winger or center and it can make the playoffs possibly. Lack hasn't shown he's ready to be the guy just yet, so there's that as well..

You are pretty spot on with your evaluation of what we need IMO.

I think if all that occurred, and we stayed reasonably healthy, we would probably do more damage than just make the play off's.

I personally thought how Lack played and dealt with the pressure of this market, his new role as starter and the team playing crappy hockey in front of him was actually a bright spot :lol:

Yeah, as a whole definitely. How many shut outs as a rookie?

It is fair to say the pressure of trying to make a playoff push, or be number one, got the better of him for a bit. Any downward spiral corresponded to playing under more pressure at first. But he recovered. it's normal with any young player and was a risk worth taking to move Lou on.

Eddie has plenty of rope with me.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is all sound, solid hockey the way the game has always been played. It's not like Torts is insisting that they play fundamentally unsound hockey.

That is an oversimplification. If anything, AV had his players backchecking more. Torts wants H. Sedin to stay in the offensive zone and continue the forecheck in situations where AV wanted him to backcheck.

Nothing wrong with Torts emphasis on sound hockey (which almost every coach does), but he has other shortcomings (the main one being not able to get his star players going, which is why he was fired from NY).

The "exciting" brand of hockey that keeps getting mentioned is an emphasis on the transition game, and not just the forecheck. It is a system that led us to the finals, and got the Hawks 2 cups in 4 years.

Can't remember what post it was in but for the people who wantef Don Hay to coach the canucks it won't be happening.. He's apparently been allowed to leave the Giants and is now going to be announced as the Kamloops Blazers new coach.. So he's out as a "candidate"

Torts's days were numbered after Gillis was fired and Linden was hired. I thought he would have been long gone before now. It was a mistake hiring Torts as FA alluded to at President Linden's first presser.

The smart money tag's FA and his 'gumba crew' as being the ones who insisted on Torts being hired .. the day THAT truth is revealed will be a great day in Little Italy.

Can't remember what post it was in but for the people who wantef Don Hay to coach the canucks it won't be happening.. He's apparently been allowed to leave the Giants and is now going to be announced as the Kamloops Blazers new coach.. So he's out as a "candidate"

Was wondering about Hay as well. Was he really given a fair shake in Phoenix?

The thing that bugs me about this is not the fact that Torts was fired, there are other coaches who are just as capable and others who are more capable than he is to move this team in the right direction....what bothers me is just this general acceptance that "playing hard, back-checking hard, blocking shots, and being accountable" is a system that "doesn't work" for this core group of players.

That seems to me to be a pretty huge problem.

that wasn't the issue at all. The issue was players don't like playing for someone who preaches one ting, and then acts the opposite himself. He was a joke, on the ice and off.....the Rangers knew it, the fans knew it, the players knew it and Linden knows it.

Other way around. FLA had a terrible D when he was there first and he kept them in it game after game in the regular season. He comes to VAN and has an arguably better D in front of him and Lu became porous and inconsistent in the post season.

scoring 8 goals in 7 games in the finals isn't consistent offense last time i checked.

Luongo was far from our biggest problem come playoff time

They could still play that way albeit with a different coach. Anyone familiar with Linden knows he fits the same mold, and believes in the same style of hockey. That being said, maybe the Canucks going back to a man to man D zone system, and better tweaks to the offense and they can have a turn around year? Having a healthy Santorelli, Matthais, Richardson, Burrows will probably make a huge difference.

Thought Linden might wait to hire GM first. Was hoping Torts would get another year with some holes filled in the lineup.

Wrong core for a coach like Torts. Not a fan of a coaching carousel to find the right fit for your players.

Good Luck Torts, loved your passion and tenacity.

Amen, Brother.

Archived