The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tapped Water vs Bottled Water: rethink what you drink

Actually, water Fluoridation in Vancouver has been banned since I believe 1999, and as you said, for very good reason.

Really?? That would be very good news. I looked it up it seems like the city of Vancouver did but not certain of other cities in the area.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/rethink-what-you-drink/

Just posted this for discussion reasons if interested. So yea, talks about the misconceptions or the unknowns about bottled water in relation to tapped water. Now I'm talking based on living in Canada (BC) and that our tap water is the top in the world so not sure about other places.

Learned quite a bit actually the past bit. Knew about it before but not into the details.

Turns out, our tap water is regulated numerous times a day by the gov. to ensure it is in great condition and bottled water isn't actually. It's a private company and the company regulates it to it's own standards which have been proven to he far less extensive than tapped water. Some cases, it's literally river water bottled and filtered at the most basic level.

Now for me it's not a money issue as I drink bottled water at times too but thought this might raise a few eyebrows. When it's all said and done, our regulated tap water is actually far better than most bottled water companies. Just that theirs tastes more fresh being ice cold and a few tweaks to it.

Vancouver has one of the cleanest tap water in the world. I don't even know why people would buy bottled water. The places that bottled water is a necessity are places like Mexico, India, Philippines and other 3rd world countries that usually don't have the proper infrastructure for a clean tap water or have bacterias in the tap water that would make travellers and foreigners sick.

FYI from what I recall from my municipal fluoridation classes we don't floridate our water in Vancouver.

As well, as far as teeth it makes them stronger but may cause white spots if it's intense.

Pretty sure majority of dentists agree that using fluoride toothpaste and doing fluoride treatments does indeed strengthen teeth.

Just because you have a youtube clip doesn't make it any more true than the anti vax or conspiracy theory ones.

Really?? That would be very good news. I looked it up it seems like the city of Vancouver did but not certain of other cities in the area.

http://www.theregenesisproject.com/mf-british-columbia/

Shows which cities in BC fluoridate water.

FYI from what I recall from my municipal fluoridation classes we don't floridate our water in Vancouver.

As well, as far as teeth it makes them stronger but may cause white spots if it's intense.

Pretty sure majority of dentists agree that using fluoride toothpaste and doing fluoride treatments does indeed strengthen teeth.

Just because you have a youtube clip doesn't make it any more true than the anti vax or conspiracy theory ones.

youtube clip with sources doesn't tickle your fancy? How about a recent Harvard study instead(althought it doesn't really touch on the effects on teeth, more so on the neurological aspect)
but no you're right, just a big conspiracy theory! :frantic:

Actually, water Fluoridation in Vancouver has been banned since I believe 1999, and as you said, for very good reason.

No, it is not a two-way road at all. The Fluoride used in toothpastes and water supply is nothing more than industrial waste.

It has been proven by countless studies that Fluoride does not help your teeth at all. Quite the opposite, Fluoride causes the development of dental fluorosis

Edward Bernays is behind the modern Fluoridation movement and he's a very evil man.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

http://georgewashington2.blogspot.ca/2011/01/did-father-of-modern-propaganda-sell.html

The mobilization, the national clamor for fluoridation, and the stamping of opponents with the right-wing kook image, was all generated by the public relations man hired by Oscar Ewing to direct the drive. [Ewing was the chief counsel for Alcoa aluminum company, and fluoride is a by-product of aluminum production.] For Ewing hired none other than Edward L. Bernays, the man with the dubious honor of being called the "father of public relations." Bernays, the nephew of Sigmund Freud, was called "The Original Spin Doctor" in an admiring article in the Washington Post on the occasion of the old manipulator's 100th birthday in late 1991

Really? I don't really believe in that ,otherwise the real professionals like dentists and hygienists would've stopped using fluoride when doing routine cleaning. I have a glass ionomer (sp?) which my dentist said it has fluoride to prevent cavity. So I rather trust my dentist and other professionals instead of an article or research that is not peer reviewed and most dentist probably don't agree with. Obviously too much fluoride is bad just like too much of anything (even fat soluble vitamins).

LOL. Was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Against conventional mainstream thinking!? Quick, label it a conspiracy!!

LOL. Was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Against conventional mainstream thinking!? Quick, label it a conspiracy!!

If Fluoride was a poison and was this bad, no dentists or other health professionals would use it. It would also be taken out of toothpastes. I just feel that people who think Fluoride is a poison (obviously too much of it is bad just like everything else) are probably the same people who are against flu shots and vaccination. I tell to those people that these advancement in medicine and dentistry is what has caused an increase in life expectancy.

Hilarious how people criticize bottled water.....but then drink tap water.

Have you people never heard of fluoride? Bottled water without fluoride is infinitely healthier then tap water even WITH the possibility of chemicals leaching out of the plastic.

Do some research on how bad fluoride is for the body.

Have you ever noticed the warning on a tube of toothpaste about the dangers of ingesting fluoride? You may not have -- it's inconspicuous and looks nothing like the brazen warnings that appear on goods such as cigarettes and other tobacco products. But why is it there? Well, besides being a helpful additive that's been proven to prevent tooth decay, fluoride is also a deadly toxin. When placed in that context, it's easy to see why some people are ditching toothpaste containing this supposedly beneficial chemical in favor of fluoride-free brands. But don't be so quick to judge. Research is divided on the subject, and many (including the federal government) believe the benefits of fluoride far outweigh its dangers. It's a complicated situation, but, like a toothbrush on plaque, we'll break it down for you.

Our relationship with fluoride started peacefully enough. In the mid-20th century, municipalities across the United States began adding fluoride to their drinking water in a process known as fluoridation, and the chemical started appearing in toothpaste shortly thereafter [source:McCoy]. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cites fluoridation as one of the 20th century's 10 greatest public health achievements in the United States. By the turn of the millennium, the water supplies of over 144 million people were fluoridated, which was credited with a 40 to 70 percent reduction in tooth decay in children and a 40 to 60 percent decrease in tooth loss for adults [source: CDC]. Today, approximately 72 percent of Americans with homes connected to a community water supply receive fluoridated water [source: Pew].

There are two primary ways fluoride prevents decay. It cripples bacteria in plaque, inhibiting its ability to produce acids that weaken teeth. Fluoride also remineralizes areas where acid damage has already occurred [source: Crosta]. Since it's a toxin, however, moderation is key to reaping fluoride's benefits without experiencing a downside. Luckily, the most common result of overdosing on fluoride is nowhere near fatal.

People who receive too much fluoride often wind up with dental fluorosis. This is a permanent discoloration of the teeth and can make your choppers appear spotted or streaked. It happens in varying degrees of severity, depending on how much excess fluoride you take in. However, this is a purely a cosmetic problem, and it has no effect on a person's health.

A recent study found that two out of every five adolescents in the U.S. have dental fluorosis. As a result of the finding, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced in Jan. 2011 that it's lowering the recommended level of fluoride in water supplies nationwide [source: CBSNews].

The recommended amount of fluoride been debated for years, as have the chemical's negative effects. Reputable sources on both sides of the debate make opposing claims: Some say there's no serious downside to fluoride, while others blame the chemical for all sorts of problems, including allergies, lower IQs, Alzheimer's disease and cancer [source: Pope, Fluoridation].

While the effects of fluoride may be disputed, the fact that a lot of people are getting too much of the substance is commonly accepted. In response to the rising rates of dental fluorosis and the growing public demand for products that don't include the potentially toxic additive, companies have started marketing and selling fluoride-free toothpaste.

Again, moderation is key for anything we consume.

Vancouver has one of the cleanest tap water in the world. I don't even know why people would buy bottled water. The places that bottled water is a necessity are places like Mexico, India, Philippines and other 3rd world countries that usually don't have the proper infrastructure for a clean tap water or have bacterias in the tap water that would make travellers and foreigners sick.

Correction Van Island has the cleanest :) I remember there being a study in some multiplicities here. Also only seven communities according to the site below artificially fluoride their water. I didn't know it was naturally found in tap-water..

http://www.theregenesisproject.com/mf-british-columbia/

I agree with Rypien37, fluriode free toothpaste is the best.. I use Jason's powersmile. Makes my teeth white as pearls lol.

Hilarious how people criticize bottled water.....but then drink tap water.

Have you people never heard of fluoride? Bottled water without fluoride is infinitely healthier then tap water even WITH the possibility of chemicals leaching out of the plastic.

Do some research on how bad fluoride is for the body.

Holy crap!

Why the heck did me dentist give me a mouth full of fluoride the other day again?

Not that I'm an anti-dentite, but I always believed dentists were evil.

The easiest way to make your water safer and better tasting is to fill up a giant glass jug set in direct sunlight for a day and presto many of the foul odors evap and the uv will pretty much destroy anything else in there. There are amazing water towers that you put a few different types of rocks in the bottom and you basically fill it up with tap water and the rocks do the rest. The water tastes as if it is straight out of a mountain stream :)

Being old enough to remember when there was no such thing as bottled water, I can honestly say i may have purchased less than 10 in my life and all were giant jugs for camping. Funny enough when i get to the site near the mountain creek i pour out the water on the ground and fill it with natures goodness LOL

The plastic they make the bottles out of is the biggest concern. One time use only bottles break down very easily. These bottle sit for weeks or even months before they are shipped out ?

Oh and anyone that thinks buying water that contains O3(Ozone)is sadly mistaken. Ozone pretty much evaps after a few hours unless it is kept chilled. I highly doubt the bottling companies actually bubble the ozone thoroughly through the water before bottling it. Water is ozonated to remove manganese and cyanides ? Converting them into much less harmful toxins ? We were told it was just better for you in the early days.

Who do you think owns these water companies ? The soft drink giants that's who. I wonder how many plastic bottles have been manufactured since their invention ? Billions ? trillions ? Probably more.

The affect on the aquatic life is devastating when these feeble bottles break down in less than a few months in the open ocean. Causing massive health and birth defects for ocean dwellers.

Bottled water is one the greatest evils on the planet fueled by some of the richest Corps in the world who dont give a rats ass about our well being just their bottom line.

If you hold a glass of tap water to light you can actually see the chemicals. If you hold a glass of bottled water it's crystal clear. You cannot compare bottle to tap water. Anyone with a tongue can taste the difference. The reason we get these bottle vs tap water articles is to entice people to reduce the amount of plastic bottles in landfills. But in terms of quality, bottled water is hands down superior.

If you hold a glass of tap water to light you can actually see the chemicals. If you hold a glass of bottled water it's crystal clear. You cannot compare bottle to tap water. Anyone with a tongue can taste the difference. The reason we get these bottle vs tap water articles is to entice people to reduce the amount of plastic bottles in landfills. But in terms of quality, bottled water is hands down superior.

LMAO :D That is because bottled water is effectively dead.

We have a saltwater fish tank, can't use plain tap water, can't use "spring", must be "clean" / reverse Osmosis...so we buy 5 gallon jugs (refills) of it for $2 each from a local water company...

One day I will get my own system...

Oh - not all water in BC tastes great - we are on a community well system, it's okay - but not great.

Wife won't use it on our plants, insists on rain water (which we also collect and store in jugs over the winter).

Archived