The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Nick Ritchie] Junior Point totals vs Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash

Merci

This is a good upside for Ritchie. We would all be delighted with a 30 goal 60 point power forward. However, this is why I differ when it comes to Ehlers vs Ritchie and Virtanen.

Ehlers has 35 to 40 goal 80 point potential. I dont see any reason why Ehlers couldnt turn into Phil Kessel. Its the same goal as Ritchie turning into Lucic.

So it depends on what you want. I would take Kessel over Lucic anyday. Some would disagree and thats ok too. In the ends its not a bad problem to have. Take Kessel or take Lucic. ::D

I sure as heck will neve take lucic over Kessel, we'll after today it's a different story. Lucic is animal in the playoffs while Kessel is probably one of the worst top wingers in the league

That hit was massive, fight was pretty average But that hit though. Damn.

That was Ritchie as a 15 year old, two days before his birthday, vs a 20 year old.

But tell us again how he only dominates smaller, young players because of his size mismatch, guys.

This is a good upside for Ritchie. We would all be delighted with a 30 goal 60 point power forward. However, this is why I differ when it comes to Ehlers vs Ritchie and Virtanen.

Ehlers has 35 to 40 goal 80 point potential. I dont see any reason why Ehlers couldnt turn into Phil Kessel. Its the same goal as Ritchie turning into Lucic.

So it depends on what you want. I would take Kessel over Lucic anyday. Some would disagree and thats ok too. In the ends its not a bad problem to have. Take Kessel or take Lucic. ::D

That's an easy way to spin your pro Ehlers banter Absent.

If your going to compare Ehlers to someone who is his absolute potential highest ceiling in Kessel than don't put Ritchie down by comparing him to Lucic who he is nothing like except for big and fights.

If Ehlers equals Kessel then Ritchie equals Jaime Benn. At least it would be a close pick to have either Kessel or Benn

• Peterborough Head Coach, Jody Hull at Sportsnet.ca:

“He’s starting to understand the defensive part of the game more and more every day. He’s a guy I can rely on regardless of the circumstance, whether it’s to get a goal or maybe to help defend a lead late in the game. I just think his overall game has matured immensely since he was 16.”

• Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Nick Ritchie:
      • Massive – Nick is just one big guy at 6’3, 229 lb. He can look like Mr. Teddy at times but get him along the boards and it doesn’t take long before Mr. Grizzly shows up.
      • Skills – This is a guy who has all the skills to go with his massive size – Fights, hits, intimidates; power stride, elite wrist shot, excellent hands; drives hard to the net, dominant fore-checker, punishes along the boards.
      • Genes: His brother, Dallas Stars prospect Brett Ritchie, is a favourite of mine. His Dad, Paul, was also coached by former Peterborough Head Coach, Mike Pelino, when he played at Brock University.
      • Potential growth – Like his brother, Brett, Nick’s career has been held back by injuries. I don’t think we have seen anywhere near the potential of Nick just yet. By the way, Brett’s career didn’t really hit stride until after his draft year either. For the teams doing the drafting this year, this is a classic case of “the glass is half full” conundrum. Those teams looking at the potential that Nick has may have him higher than I have; those teams looking at his injuries as a concern will have him lower.
      • Reminds me of: Rick Nash

That was Ritchie as a 15 year old, two days before his birthday, vs a 20 year old.

But tell us again how he only dominates smaller, young players because of his size mismatch, guys.

All the 5-10 players have merit. They all have good potential be be great 2nd may be good 1st liners.

I'll be happy with one of Virtanen Ehlers Dal Colle or Ritchie. Preferably Virtanen cause I love me some BC players.

All the 5-10 players have merit. They all have good potential be be great 2nd may be good 1st liners.

I'll be happy with one of Virtanen Ehlers Dal Colle or Ritchie. Preferably Virtanen cause I love me some BC players.

Absolutely.

If anyone doesn't think they'll make an impact at all they should drop them right off of their list.

If Benning becomes GM, I don't see any scenario where we don't take Ritchie. Unless either one of the big 5 fall out, or we trade the pick. He just has the right mix of size and skill that makes teams successful.

As much as I'd like an exciting game breaker like Ehlers, I just don't think this team can afford to not get bigger and tougher considering the division they'll be playing in from now on.

If Benning becomes GM, I don't see any scenario where we don't take Ritchie. Unless either one of the big 5 fall out, or we trade the pick. He just has the right mix of size and skill that makes teams successful.

As much as I'd like an exciting game breaker like Ehlers, I just don't think this team can afford to not get bigger and tougher considering the division they'll be playing in from now on.

Let us settle for boring Kings hockey then.

Yep

Let us settle for boring Kings hockey then.

Except Ritchie isn't a boring player at all.

We'll only be playing boring hockey if we hire a boring coach.

If Ritchie is encouraged to play offensively, he could end up playing like any one of Nash, Bertuzzi, or Benn. I don't know about you, but I'd love to have a player like that on the Canucks.

If Ritchie is encouraged to play offensively, he could end up playing like any one of Nash, Bertuzzi, or Benn. I don't know about you, but I'd love to have a player like that on the Canucks.

Considering we've only ever had, like, 3 in our entire franchise history I think it would be a nice change.

Ritchie is no exciting dynamic offensive player which is something we don't have much of.

No guarantees Ritchie turns into any of those players. Ritchie is capable of becoming a bust like many players.

My question to you is that when the Sedins are gone who will we have when it comes to offensive minded players?

Ritchie is no exciting dynamic offensive player which is something we don't have much of.

No guarantees Ritchie turns into any of those players. Ritchie is capable of becoming a bust like many players.

My question to you is that when the Sedins are gone who will we have when it comes to offensive minded players?

There is no guarantee that anyone will turn into anything.

Who knows who else we will be getting over the next two-three years either from trade, development or UFA.

I wouldn't expect that this is our one shot at that type of player. There are many avenues to explore. This is just one possible scenario.

But I agree with DeNiro…. if the expected top 5 are gone then I'd be more surprised than not if we don't take Ritchie regardless of the fact that I think Nylander is the better prospect longterm. Ritchie has a skill/size package that is almost impossible for a scouting staff to pass over.

And nobody thought Bertuzzi or Benn were dynamic offensive players when they were drafted.

Big men with soft hands are a rare commodity. I would take a chance on Ritchie becoming the next star powerforward, before I take a chance on Ehlers becoming the next Bure.

These dynamic players taken high in the first round, are often not as good as they seem. They score goals in junior leagues that you would never even come close to scoring in the NHL. That's why you need a player that can score the pretty goals, as well as the greasy ones.

Nikita Filatov anyone? I seem to remember people clamoring over him after watching his youtube highlights.

• Peterborough Head Coach, Jody Hull at Sportsnet.ca:

“He’s starting to understand the defensive part of the game more and more every day. He’s a guy I can rely on regardless of the circumstance, whether it’s to get a goal or maybe to help defend a lead late in the game. I just think his overall game has matured immensely since he was 16.”

• Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Nick Ritchie:
      • Massive – Nick is just one big guy at 6’3, 229 lb. He can look like Mr. Teddy at times but get him along the boards and it doesn’t take long before Mr. Grizzly shows up.
      • Skills – This is a guy who has all the skills to go with his massive size – Fights, hits, intimidates; power stride, elite wrist shot, excellent hands; drives hard to the net, dominant fore-checker, punishes along the boards.
      • Genes: His brother, Dallas Stars prospect Brett Ritchie, is a favourite of mine. His Dad, Paul, was also coached by former Peterborough Head Coach, Mike Pelino, when he played at Brock University.
      • Potential growth – Like his brother, Brett, Nick’s career has been held back by injuries. I don’t think we have seen anywhere near the potential of Nick just yet. By the way, Brett’s career didn’t really hit stride until after his draft year either. For the teams doing the drafting this year, this is a classic case of “the glass is half full” conundrum. Those teams looking at the potential that Nick has may have him higher than I have; those teams looking at his injuries as a concern will have him lower.
      • Reminds me of: Rick Nash

He was out protecting the lead when he got his 4th point.

edit: was responding to Minister re Ritchie. Missed reply link somehow.

I suppose there is an "if" to everything.

I'd like to see the combine fitness testing. Big guys often develop slow, some don't make it. The challenge is training the larger body to exert explosive energy at the same level as smaller players. It takes more energy to move a larger mass...

I suppose scouts are already more or less privy to what those scores will be. But? (well I don't know that answer, I guess why we question things here?)

If Ritchie has his skills, is 230 lbs, and extremely fit I would agree.

But if he needs to trim to 217, then learn to play at that weight as happened with Kassian? Or a different example: Byfuglien. Big enough and talented enough to be very effective. And out of puff in key moments of a lot of games, and costing his team wins. I'd rather look at one of the guys we know can skate all day and be explosive if that fitness score is not awesome.. At 6 its fair to expect fitness.

And nobody thought Bertuzzi or Benn were dynamic offensive players when they were drafted.

Big men with soft hands are a rare commodity. I would take a chance on Ritchie becoming the next star powerforward, before I take a chance on Ehlers becoming the next Bure.

These dynamic players taken high in the first round, often are not as good as they seem. They score goals in junior leagues that you would never even come close to scoring in the NHL. That's why you need a player that can score the pretty goals, as well as the greasy ones.

Niita Filatov anyone? I seem to remember people clamoring over him after watching his youtube highlights.

Any player can bust, you take a risk with anyone you draft. That includes Ritchie and Ehlers.

Ehlers is not going to be the next Bure. Nobody is going to be the next Bure.

We also have plenty of forwards currently on our team who can score greasy goals, not as many that can score the pretty ones.

Since you bring up Filatov then I will bring up Beach. Both players are busts.

I would rather trade up into the top 5 then draft Ehlers/Ritchie or even trade down and get another pick and draft Virtanen/Nylander/Kapanen.

I love but hate where we are sitting.

Any player can bust, you take a risk with anyone you draft. That includes Ritchie and Ehlers.

Ehlers is not going to be the next Bure. Nobody is going to be the next Bure.

We also have plenty of forwards currently on our team who can score greasy goals, not as many that can score the pretty ones.

Since you bring up Filatov then I will bring up Beach. Both players are busts.

I would rather trade up into the top 5 then draft Ehlers/Ritchie or even trade down and get another pick and draft Virtanen/Nylander/Kapanen.

I love but hate where we are sitting.

Of course anyone can bust, I think that goes without saying. You don't pass on good players out of fear of them busting though. If that were the case, you'd pass on every player.

We also have plenty of players on this team that play a perimeter game. Which is why we need more players that can battle to the net, and fight through big defenders. That is key if a team wants to have success in the Western Conference. Good teams can neutralize speed, they can't neutralize strength and brute force though.

Beach is an example of a big forward that busted, but they're not really comparable. Ritchie has a way higher skill level than Beach did. The only reason Beach even went close to the top 10 is because of his size and nastiness. It was widely reported that he had of ice issues though; something that I haven't heard about Ritchie.

Drafting down and picking players with an even lower liklihood of becoming top line players doesn't make sense either if our goal is to plan for a post-Sedin team.

Archived