The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

My only question about Trotz was whether or not he could adapt his style to play the more up-tempo one that Linden wants.

I've never had anything but good to say about his character and his ability to coach.

It just comes down to the right fit, which after some consideration I definitely think it could work.

He certainly can from his track record. He's been given very limited options in Nashville so he had to play to their strengths. When he had Kariya, Sullivan, Zidlicky and all them he changed to become more offensive and dominated the league. There's no doubt in my mind that he will be able to adapt, it's not even a question really.

Ya I totally agree, there's more context to take into account re: Nashville. But from what I've seen, it's enough to raise a red flag from my perspective.

Ya, I knew Van was a decent possession team last yr. It happens, rarely, that a strong possession team doesn't make the playoffs. IMO had Torts followed advanced stats this team would have been in the playoffs. But I guess that's off topic.

I don't know about you, but I've been getting my numbers from Extra Skater and the stats on their site only goes back a couple of years. (BTW, if you know of a site that has advanced stats from earlier seasons, I'd love to know about it.) I'd be curious to see what Nashville's possession stats were during the mid-2000's when they had a much better offence.

Still, the main reason why I'd really like to see Trotz as the Canucks head coach is because of the uncertainty regarding the roster moving forward. At this point, we fans don't know whether there's going to be a full rebuild, a slight re-tooling, or something in between. Given that, Trotz's key attribute is his well-known capability of working with whatever roster he has. No matter what the Canucks management decides to do with the roster, if Trotz is the head coach, there's good reason to expect that he'll get the best out of what he has.

Let's not get too carried and hyped about Trotz, this reminds me of when Torts was about to get hired. Trotz seems like a good players coach BUT he hasn't been tested with trying to coach a offensive style... Could be risky if the team suddenly has a losing streak, he could try to switch back to his old methods of playing defensive hockey. Old habits don't change easily.

Looking at things with a wider or macro approach is good, but I also think that when it comes to analytics, there's a lot of context to take into account. NJD's higher possession metrics make sense, now that I've seen some of the players on there roster (I don't follow the Devils at all); NSH simply never had the players to play a possession game.

Another example of possession metrics not telling the whole story: the Canucks possession metrics were actually very good last season, believe it or not. Look how far that got them.

Possession is one thing. Knowing what to do with it is another.

Our version of 'old school' differs, cause their usage of advanced stats implies they aren't old school from my perspective.

Do I have evidence he doesn't do the same thing? I have never read any piece about Trotz and advanced stats - so I assume he doesn't use them. Perhaps you have evidence he does? By his teams metrics I also assume he doesn't. Could he learn? Definitely. The question is, does he want to? Is he willing to implement new metrics into his coaching techniques? That is the million dollar question for me.

Our version of 'old school' differs, cause their usage of advanced stats implies they aren't old school from my perspective.

Do I have evidence he doesn't do the same thing? I have never read any piece about Trotz and advanced stats - so I assume he doesn't use them. Perhaps you have evidence he does? By his teams metrics I also assume he doesn't. Could he learn? Definitely. The question is, does he want to? Is he willing to implement new metrics into his coaching techniques? That is the million dollar question for me.

That's why the have associate and assistant coaches.

I don't know about you, but I've been getting my numbers from Extra Skater and the stats on their site only goes back a couple of years. (BTW, if you know of a site that has advanced stats from earlier seasons, I'd love to know about it.) I'd be curious to see what Nashville's possession stats were during the mid-2000's when they had a much better offence.

Still, the main reason why I'd really like to see Trotz as the Canucks head coach is because of the uncertainty regarding the roster moving forward. At this point, we fans don't know whether there's going to be a full rebuild, a slight re-tooling, or something in between. Given that, Trotz's key attribute is his well-known capability of working with whatever roster he has. No matter what the Canucks management decides to do with the roster, if Trotz is the head coach, there's good reason to expect that he'll get the best out of what he has.

Ya, the earliest season you can find advanced stats online is 07/08. Extra skater, Behind the Net, also another great site for WOWYs etc: Link

It's kind of odd that we don't really know what this teams plan is for next season. Are they re-buidling, re-tooling? I wonder if Lindens doesn't know and he's waiting for a new GM to determine this.

I'd be higher on Trotz if we were an expansion team or something. I want offence.

Idk why people are so sucked into this thought. He only played a boring defensive game cause it was the elements he had to play with. Had he be given better cards with more talent he would adapt to make the players play to their strenghts. Like Trotz says, he doesn't coach teams, he coaches people. Most coaches just have a strategy and implement it everywhere they go no matter what; he coaches the people/the players and the players he had wouldn't play to the best of their ability if he made it offensive cause they simply weren't. In 05/06/07, he finally got some juicy players on the roster and he adapted like he says. Didn't keep it, coached the player, and people are far to quick to forget of they didn't witness it but those 2 years, Preds were one of the deadliest teams out there just outright electric.

05/06 season he led them too 49 wins and in 06/07 to 51! That is simply put amazing. To say he won't be able to implement an offensive strategy in comparison to most of what he did in Nashville makes no sense cause his track toward says otherwise. When he had the elements he dominated and when he never (basically all but 2 years his tenure there), he did what was best for the team to win and had to play defensive.

05/06 - 49 win season:

Kariya had 85 pts in 82 games, Sullivan 68 in 69 games, YANIC PERRAULT had 57 in 67 games, Timmonen had 50 in 79 games, Erat 50 pts in 80, Zidlicky 49 pts in 67, Hartnell 48 in 81 games, etc.

06/07 - 51 win season:

Kariya had 76 in 82, Dumont 66 in 82, Legwand 63 in 78, Sullivan 60 in 57, Erat 57 in 68, Timmonen 55 in 80, Arnot 54 in 67, Weber 40 in 78, Forsberg 15 in 17, etc.

If that, ^^^, is not enough offense, idk what is. Wake up people and realize Trotzcan play any game. It just depends on the talent he had to work with and if he comes here, I have no doubt he'll be able to play and get some of our offensive players back up in the ranks blasting away.

Archived