The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

yo i wasn't the one you were responding to prior

i was being helpful i was teaching you to use your own brain vs asking someone to provide you with all the answers before you did something very simple on your own

its called doing research by using google

i know mommy and daddy do everything for you so when you have to figure something out on your own you just expect others to do it for you

gen y written all over you.

hopefully today you learned to research on the interweb! lmao

Wow .. are you ever a nasty, wee fella .. :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to trade up and go all in.

I don't think we're going to be this close to a number 1 pick any time soon with the roster we have, so if we can get into the top 3 somehow, now's the time to do it.

If I was GM I'd go all in for Bennet,. This guy is the next Gilmour/Toews. I natural leader and everything I would want a Canuck to be. Not sure if JB, and TL feel the same, but what would it take to get this guy?

Our 6th and.....

Supposedly thin and needs to add quite a bit of muscle. Style is Toews like but I think he'd end up as a Brayden Schenn/Mike Richards type perhaps Vinny Lecavalier.

Personally I'd take Reinhart just because I feel Bennett is sorta similar to Horvat. Can't go wrong with either.

Edit: dont get me wrong with the thin comment, I think he'd turn out as a great player. Cant remember the name of the coach/trainer but I wished all our prospects would join that training program the same one Stamkos Gaunce & CoHo attend

Gary Roberts

I'm pretty sure FLA will take Ekblad, or Reinhart so... I would trade and swing a deal with Buffalo.

Maybe our 6th, Schroeder and Edler for 2nd overall, and Erhoff.

IMO with Erhoffs departure it left a big hole in the back end no pun lol. We need a PMD and this team was better with him in the lineup. I would take Bennet over Reinhart. He's not as skilled maybe but he's got a lot of grit and drive to his game. Natural leader and good work ethic. This is who the Canucks need as a leader moving forward.

If I was GM I'd go all in for Bennet,. This guy is the next Gilmour/Toews. I natural leader and everything I would want a Canuck to be. Not sure if JB, and TL feel the same, but what would it take to get this guy? Our 6th and.....
I think we might have to give up an offensive prospect like Schroeder, defensive prospects like Tommernes, Price and/or McNally plus the 6th to Florida for Bennett. Seeing that Florida still gets a shot at a solid player with our pick, the difference in value shouldn't be astronomical (especially considering Florida already has big ticket draftees in the cupboard). If the asking price is astronomical, hardly end of the world to pass. Buffalo's pick is unobtainable IMO because if I were their GM, Bennett would be my choice over Reinhart. They need help on the wings considering the amount of solid centers they have recently drafted. Pretty sure if we took first overall, they would hardly be upset over having to choose Ekblad on defence however.

If they're serious about a "cornerstone" player out of this draft, Ekblad and Bennett appear to be the two most likely to fit that mantle. Ekblad will have to be traded up to get, but all we need is for rivals Edmonton and Calgary to go big (which they both need) with Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Ritchie, and we can probably count on Garth to pick Nylander or Ehlers.

We would regret picking ritchie. Nylander will be so much better and could be influenced by the sedins.

Agreed. The more I read about Ritchie the less he fits what we should be looking for. Ok he has size but I don't think he fits easily to an elite team's top 6.

We are looking for size, yes but Benning has stated, someone to carry the franchise forward, that to me screams high skill, speed, and character.

If you take that view it seems to me we need to move up.

It has to be Sam Reinhart, and he's from North Vancouver BC.

"Reinhart is a nice blend of poise, maturity and a high hockey IQ. He's got creative hands, excellent vision and superb instinct in the offensive end. He's able to slow things down and dissect the play. He battles hard and is a true team leader"

I think if Benning wants to make a signature statement of his intentions for the Canucks he would achieve it with Reinhart's acquisition.

Agreed. The more I read about Ritchie the less he fits what we should be looking for. Ok he has size but I don't think he fits easily to an elite team's top 6.

We are looking for size, yes but Benning has stated, someone to carry the franchise forward, that to me screams high skill, speed, and character.

"Reinhart is a nice blend of poise, maturity and a high hockey IQ. He's got creative hands, excellent vision and superb instinct in the offensive end. He's able to slow things down and dissect the play. He battles hard and is a true team leader"

I think if Benning wants to make a signature statement of his intentions for the Canucks he would achieve it with Reinhart's acquisition.

I have put some thought into this and I can tell you my personal feeling;

I dont think Reinhart is any better than Dal Colle or Bennett. I think he is slightly better than Ehlers and Nylander. I think he is a little better than Ritchie and Drasaitl . I part with our second round pick plus the sixth (6, 36) for him at #2. Thats all.

Its not scientific. Its a gut reaction to watching him play as opposed to watching the others in the top 8. I dont see anything special in comparison.

1.) You are correct, chum, you are not the person to whom I was originally responding. I was aware of this when I made my first response to you, but thanks for pointing it out anyways.

2.) To my mind, you were not being "helpful", you were making an attempt at sarcasm. The irony of it is, you were unable to recognize that sarcasm was being used on you in my original reponse (to you), or in my response to that original post to which you have just pointed out that you weren't the guy who wrote it. Once again, thanks for that clarification.

Note: I'm not taking any bets from anyone that you are even capable of recognizing the sarcasm being used on you in this response.

3.) You say that you are helping me by suggesting that I do research prior to responding. This is good advice for everyone, and thanks for passing it along.

I would also note the irony here in that you obviously did not first do your research by fully reading my post (if you did at all), and then comparing it to what you had found on your link to capgeek (a page with which I, and probably the vast majority of people who post here, are well aware).

Had you done your research (at all), you would have noted from reading the capgeek page that I had responded correctly to the other person's post. And you would have (should have) realized that I was being just a bit sarcastic to that person by asking them to explain where I was wrong in my understanding of how NTC's work and requesting that they supply links to pages which countered my position (which I'm pretty sure don't exist).

I'd acknowledge part of your post as what could be taken as an attempt at sarcasm on your part ("its called doing research by using google"), however I believe it was merely accidental. Research by using Google is kind of despised in academic circles.

4.) As to the rest of your post, gosh that stuff was devastating. I'll probably never be able to post on the internet again. Ever.

regards,

G.

sorry verbal diarrhea ....for someone not bothered you certainly splattered alot on the toilet bowl...

RAHGAAAAAHDDSSS

There are probably only two players in this draft that can step right into the Nhl.

Ekblad and Richie If we don.t move up for Ekblad we will be taking Richie if he's available, he can make an immediate impact as a 3rd or 4th liner and has the potential to move up to the second or 1st line in years to come!

If they're serious about a "cornerstone" player out of this draft, Ekblad and Bennett appear to be the two most likely to fit that mantle. Ekblad will have to be traded up to get, but all we need is for rivals Edmonton and Calgary to go big (which they both need) with Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Ritchie, and we can probably count on Garth to pick Nylander or Ehlers.

.... reinhart

There are probably only two players in this draft that can step right into the Nhl.

Ekblad and Richie If we don.t move up for Ekblad we will be taking Richie if he's available, he can make an immediate impact as a 3rd or 4th liner and has the potential to move up to the second or 1st line in years to come!

I dont think there has been a power forward who make the NHL right after they were drafted. Not in a long time anyways. Let me go check..........

Tom Wilson is a true powerforward. A highly touted one at that. He played an extra year in Plymouth. Before him Zack Kassian is another true power forward and he played two years extra in junior. Kyle Beach was also a highly touted power forward but he played extra years in junior as well.

Powerforwards tend to take the longest time to develop so he will no doubt be in junior next year.

I dont think there has been a power forward who make the NHL right after they were drafted. Not in a long time anyways. Let me go check..........

Tom Wilson is a true powerforward. A highly touted one at that. He played an extra year in Plymouth. Before him Zack Kassian is another true power forward and he played two years extra in junior. Kyle Beach was also a highly touted power forward but he played extra years in junior as well.

Powerforwards tend to take the longest time to develop so he will no doubt be in junior next year.

this is the whole irony of the size debate.....other than Ekblad and maybe Draisatl, its more than likely the rest of the draft eligible top players go back to junior, none of them are ready other than those 2 physically (maybe Dal Colle but likely more time in Junior and the A as well).

So really size should not factor into who we draft as whomever it will be won't be with the big club for 3-4 years.

Sure if we are drafting big players as a focus then fine, but worrying if a guy in 178 vs 190 right now is pointless bc by the time he makes the Nucks he'll be 190

Edm and Cal should be happy right were they are. Both teams are guaranteed one of the top five and will get a very good player any way you slice it. From a pure prospect standpoint there isn't a whole lot of separation so unless there's a certain player that they feel is head and shoulders above the rest, staying put would be the smart move. If Benning is targeting a top two or three pick I hope he doesn't feel the need to overpay just to beat out Edm and Cal

I have a feeling they will go hard after the number one pick with Florida and select Reinhart. I'm not sure about Ekblad being a #1 defenseman and I think Florida wants Ehlers, who could be had at #6. It all depends what else Florida would want?

Linden said the player they draft will become a "cornerstone of the franchise" but how many 6th overall picks have become a cornerstone of a franchise? I only count 1 since the 2000 draft, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, although you could argue Mikko Kouivo is another.

So either they are planning to trade for the first overall pick or they think they are going to get a franchise player with the 6th pick.

Linden said the player they draft will become a "cornerstone of the franchise" but how many 6th overall picks have become a cornerstone of a franchise? I only count 1 since the 2000 draft, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, although you could argue Mikko Kouivo is another.

So either they are planning to trade for the first overall pick or they think they are going to get a franchise player with the 6th pick.

Yes, Mikko Koivu is certainly a corner stone of the Minnesota Wild, Captain and all.

Wow, you could've just said you disagreed with my opinion that an NTC isn't necessarily a handcuff but I guess you're a practising novelist or screenwriter.

In any case, according to Iain MacIntyre's Q&A with Benning in yesterday's Sun, he has a similar view to my take on NTC's, but feel free to reply with another War and Peace novel.

Ok straw man. I said the Canucks would gladly trade some skill for toughness. I didn't say draft acomplete goon with #6 pick who will only play 6-8 mins a game.

Its my opinion that Benning or Linden or who ever has final say will not pick a skilled smurf like Ehlers or Nylander over a skilled, hard nosed player with speed and tenacity. Face facts my man there is no chance they draft the guy you have convinced yourself is the next Patrick Kane... understand?

Its not horse crap. Its an opinion and I aint the only one on here who's posted one.

Why?

I would rather actually getting victories rather than getting 'moral victories'.

I actually disagree and believe the exact opposite will happen. 6'0 feet tall offensive wingers are a dime a dozen. Their are always numerous oppurtunites to draft someone who has the height of 6'0 tall under 180, and play an offensive skilled man. We many opportunisties to do something like that. Mean while 6'3 offensive winger, who can hit fight and is weighted at 229 lbs? When does something like that happen again? yea, not a chance we will be taking Princess Nylander.

I already responded to/busted this theory. Still waiting to hear your rebuttal back.

Maybe it means his looking to a high upside guy like Ehlers/Nylander.

But there is a difference between cornerstone of the franchise, and franchise player. We probably won't get a franchise player at #6. But there is definitely the chance to get a future cornerstone of the franchise.

Archived