The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Trotz to announce his new coaching job in next 48 hours

Good and interesting point about the Kesler situation affecting the Benning/Linden's choice for a coach. However, I'm not sure if that would make as big difference as you suggest. Even if Kesler were traded for youth, Trotz has plenty of experience with younger players.

That said, I don't think our veteran group—with or without Kesler—would have a problem with a coach without NHL experience like Desjardins.

He sure does. Especially young d-men. I still think he's in play for this head coaching position, regardless of what is coming out of the media hacks.

Stevens in LA is the guy they're referring to...when they mention that there's still a candidate involved in the play-offs.

His intel & video prep....along with his development of great defensemen & team defense would be invaluable, when it comes to competing against the monster teams of the Pacific division. Maybe he can fix Edler? He would clearly know the weaknesses of our division foes better than anyone. He's hardworking & a cerebral guy who preps & studies his own team & scouts the opposition extremely well. He raises the bar mentally for everyone....the opposite of Tortorella, really.... and clearly the direction that this team should have gone in, last season.

Trotz would have been fine and would have been adored by the city & the players...but Stevens will offer them more - if JB fills some gaps in the 'Nucks roster.

Stevens is also my choice for the job. Wonder if I will go 3/3 with the hirings this offseason!

I really feel like Stevens would be the best choice out of the candidates available to the Canucks. I had Trotz at #2 if Stevens isn't hired so I am now really hoping they go for him. Unlike other candidates discussed (Desjardins, Johnston, Oates etc.) he has had success at the NHL level and has now been learning under the wing of Sutter. I think he will fit in very well with the philosophy that Linden and Benning are trying to create for this organization as well. He is very good with young players.

Caps just announced this on Twitter:

@washcaps: BREAKING NEWS: #Caps Promote Brian MacLellan to General Manager, Name Barry Trotz Coach. http://t.co/J7Mwpw4Qmj http://t.co/HYSghWspXi

Happy for the Caps, they hired one hell of a coach. Not so sure on the GM choice though, might be because I have no idea who he is.

Archived