The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alberts: Career might be over

Strombone1

But, but, but, he was selling it, right Flames fans?

There are a collection of idiotic motherf***ers in that city, that's for sure.

The whole thread is an embarrassment, really: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1570307

And to think that CalgaryPuck is 10 times worse than that.

It's Calgary best to ignore those idiots.

Best of luck to Alberts. Head injuries are never good and really hope he gets better.

Sucks to hear that Alberts is still feeling the effects of the hit. McGrattan certainly deserved supplemental discipline one way or another, but as usual, the league turns a blind eye.

Here's to an easier road to recovery as I can't imagine the pain he's going through.

All the very best in the future AA:41!

Just terrible.

It doesn't matter how good or not good a player he was. Every athlete deserves to go out on their own terms. It's the least they are owed when they devote their entire lives to the pursuit of high performance athletics. Even if there was no room for him in the NHL anymore, he could have gone to Europe if he wanted to continue to play hockey. It's sad when you play your last game and you didn't even know it was your last. Even as a rec leaguer, I'd be sad if that happened to me.

Best wishes to him.

PS - can I also say that it's nice when our media members take time to follow up on players who we've forgotten about. It's nice that at least his story can be told.

I hope he recovers and manages to resume his career, or at least regains his quality of life.

I wish I was shocked that the elbow he took did not even get a look from the NHL, not even a game suspension for a clear head shot - but that's conistency in the NHL. One more for the file that evidences how seriously the league takes protecting it's players..

I like Alberts a lot as a player - he has improved significantly as a Canuck, kept his game simple, was a good physical presence, and became a very reliable depth defenseman imo.

Alberts also took a significant pay cut last year and stayed with the club. A real likeable team player as far as I'm concerned and I wish him the best.

Developing_Header.jpg

In Depth Article:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Andrew+Alberts+hoping+without+headaches/9898138/story.html#ixzz33Ui6DCg8

Some people wonder why players are paid what they are paid. Not many of them get to enjoy, really enjoy their money once their career is over. If it's not constant headaches (think Daniel Sedin in a few years), it's knee or hip or shoulder pain. This is a brutal game, not as bad as the NFL, but not that far from it either. Does Linden look healthy to anyone? What does he weight now, looks like 125 pounds.

Source:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/02/canucks-alberts-concussion-knows-career-might-be-over

I was a fan of the A Train...his hit on that punk DerekDorsett..great stuff. He was improving his game and becoming a solid 8th dman especially against the heavier teams...

Hope you regain your health and live a fulfilling life in the future AA.

His name is Alberts and he has a history of serious concussion/head injury.

BTW, your lack of an informed position regarding the subject matter is telling.

Gillis stated a vague position of ignorance on the subject and many fans have no idea what that fully implies.

Again,my best to AA and his family.

Dude, just shut it. You're not doing yourself any favours.

From what I know, Lindens lifestyle involves high cardio activities - adventure races etc...hes not in the gum mudcling it up for contact sports anymore...im sure hes very healthy.

OK doctor, if you say so. He just looks a little skinny. But then I thought Gillis looked a little chubby and red!

OK doctor, if you say so. He just looks a little skinny. But then I thought Gillis looked a little chubby and red!

Not sure the doctor comment is warranted but wutevs... just saying what I know from people who have competed along side him at certain events. Many endurance athletes tend to look gaunt or slight. Its their mind and their ticker thats the major muscle group.

Your assessment of Gillis is accurate.

Not sure the doctor comment is warranted but wutevs... just saying what I know from people who have competed along side him at certain events. Many endurance athletes tend to look gaunt or slight. Its their mind and their ticker thats the major muscle group.

Your assessment of Gillis is accurate.

Good to know about Linden. The doctor comment was in response to the statement that you are sure he is very healthy- I thought this was a little presumptuous. You might think that he is, you might have been told that he is, but can you be sure without being his doctor?

So sad for AA.

This entire situation was a result of Flames coaching and management trying to make thier team relevant by gooning it up on Vancouver and in my opinion knowing full well they'd get away with it.

I only wish Torts would have gotten a piece of Hartley.

The NHL has a clear vendetta against the Canucks. Looking back at those games around that time the Canucks received unprecedented punishment from the league for simply standing up for themselves. 5-3 for five minutes x2. Or was it three. Was it any wonder the Flames knew they could push the envelope?

It's a loser organization with loser fans employing losers like Mcgratten and Hartley. The fact most Flame fans defended this hit and called Alberts a diver and still do makes me sick. Fn losers.

More than any fan base I find Flames fans to be the most unreasonable and irrelevant.

But, but, but, he was selling it, right Flames fans?

There are a collection of idiotic motherf***ers in that city, that's for sure.

The whole thread is an embarrassment, really: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1570307

And to think that CalgaryPuck is 10 times worse than that.

I was banned from Calgarypuck for suggesting that Mike Vernon was a better goaltender than Miikka Kiprusoff.

Zero credibility on that 'forum'. More like a collection of people with no lives and low IQs.

I still think there was more than Willie's head injury involved with him not being signed. I can understand why Gillis would not sign a player with a history of concussion but there were worse guys than Willie who found work. My suspicion is that Willie did not like the way the Van defence was being ran. I have nothing to base that on other than his demeanor on the bench after a shift where an error

had happened.

Yeah,Gillis' signing of head injured players outlines his level of competence in his former position.

Best to AA.

What? THIS... is on Gillis?! Off-base & off-side, Nuck Nit.

CUE RANT: This is on McGrattan NOT respecting his fellow union brother enough to avoid smoking him in the head when he was vulnerable along the boards! And this is ALSO on the league for playing favorites & preferring to shield some players from proper discipline... rather than protect the majority of them from being victimized by those who feel regularly entitled to cross-over the waivering lines of NHL rules & propriety. Let's not forget how the Chairman's voting block-brothers seem to get their interests regularly protected over others, too. THIS is all on THEM!

There are clearly have & have-NOTs when it comes to the power-mongering that's done in this league....and the kind of influence that they can peddle within the DPS. The McGrattan take-out of Andrew Alberts...& McGrarttan's NON-suspension for clearly knocking-out & concussing Alberts at the time... & now possibly ending his career....is just ONE example of this disparity.

McGrattan is a veteran player with perhaps the most "sand-paper"... on Brian Burke's team...who plays a very "truculent" style of game. Canucks are Flames' division rivals. Gillis & Burke were widely known to be fast-feuding foes. A woefully un-qualified Patrick Burke (by DPS standards) sometime after Brian Burke put his hands all-over the Rome-suspension (2011) & the unfairly, un-grandfathered, & very punishing CBA amendments...is miraculously appointed to the DPS! How & why exactly?

I wonder if they've misdiagnosed him like Crosby having an upper cervical problem causing concussion like symptoms. Once they found that on Crosby he was back playing shortly there after.

With the track-record that this Canucks' medical staff has had...anything is possible. Waiting for some announcements that JB has addressed some of those issues too. Certain upcoming free agent players out there may be counting on that.

Archived