The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alberts: Career might be over

Strombone1

Glad the league looks at these seriously.

They do? IMO both the league and the PA do nothing but give lip service to the issue and talk a lot about player safety but don't have the guts to do something substantive about it.

The double standard/bias against us was proved even more this year. I still have no idea how McGrattan didn't get at least two games for that.

But Kassian gets 5 for missing his hit and accidently hitting the guy with his stick.

He is part of the problem,which is ignorance.

Booth,Hamhuis and Daniel are all serious head injured players that Gillis signed and are on the present roster.

There are other players that he signed that are no longer on the team.

Signing head injured players suggests the issue is not taken seriously enough.

The player is threatened and secondarily,the team is weakened when signing mentally damaged and compromised athletes.

Wtf is this? Well, people might as well waive Crosby to the minors and get him boughtout then

Mmm. Willie Mitchell's potential 2 rings in 2 years must have meant his "mentally damaged" brain had nothing to do with the team

The double standard/bias against us was proved even more this year. I still have no idea how McGrattan didn't get at least two games for that.

In the end, two games is hardly much of a price (out of 82 games) compared to the impact of these type of plays. No matter what the suspension, Alberts would still be going through this. What is important is to avoid players from having to deal with htese types of injuries in the first place.

Jesus! This thread is about Alberts and his post concussion symptoms.

Yet some are rating his usefulness as a player and rating Gillis' ineptitude as a GM.

I feel for Andrew Alberts immensely and hope he has a quick and full recovery.

Hope mcgrattin feela like crap

Hard to know what he feels.

What is known is that neither McGrattan nor his agent nor anyone from the Flames has contacted Alberts. Not even the standard apology text message that most guys send after they injure somebody. Nothing even months later and with Alberts facing retirement and possible a lifetime of concussion related health issues.

Nothing.

So who know what Grats is feeling. But his actions certainly do speak...

And with him and his agent doing such a masterful PR job with his off ice efforts (anti-bullying, substance abuse, etc), people tend to give him a pass and call him a "good guy."

It's touchy stuff because I think we need to celebrate people who are in recovery and who have successfully come back from addiction, but that doesn't give him a free pass as human being.

But I've felt for quite some time that McGrattan has become something of a poster child and success story for the NHL Substance Abuse program and they seem pretty invested in the idea that he's a "tough guy with a heart."

Alberts probably feels differently.

Why make this about Gillis? Yes, he was a train wreck of a GM, but he's gone.

I'm with nit on this one, any chance you have to take a shot at MG shouldn't be passed by. There should be a law passed in Van that every dart board in the city must have MG's face on it.

Wtf is this? Well, people might as well waive Crosby to the minors and get him boughtout then

Mmm. Willie Mitchell's potential 2 rings in 2 years must have meant his "mentally damaged" brain had nothing to do with the team

Wow nuck nit you really dug deep for that little gut shot. I bet you would have no trouble with our GM signing Toews though, would you?

Get real, Albertsons was given a clean bill of health, otherwise he would not have been signed by Gillis.

By the way nuck nit, Gillis was fired so just let that vengeance of yours go like water under the bridge. No one likes to smell the same old garbage. Give it a break it will be much easier on your health too.

His name is Alberts and he has a history of serious concussion/head injury.

BTW, your lack of an informed position regarding the subject matter is telling.

Gillis stated a vague position of ignorance on the subject and many fans have no idea what that fully implies.

Again,my best to AA and his family.

Just read that article. Poor guy! The author is right, it does illustrate the NHL's inconsistency and lack of true commitment to ending head injuries, especially for non star players..

I wish Alberts nothing but the best. I hope he's able to play hockey again, but if not I hope he can at least resume a normal, pain free life.

I`ve asked around occasionally about the status of Alberts since the McGrattan assault and finally I have my answer, which turns out to be more or less the news I was expecting. What a tragedy, and completely unnecessary. What is someone like McGrattan doing in pro sports. He should be working for organized crime. That`s where enforcers ply their trade, I think. NHL continues to embarrass. Let`s hope they get theirs one day for doing nothing. And let`s hope it`s an expensive lesson. They deserve it.

If I'm Alberts I'm suing the NHL.

Absolutely. Stuff like this that makes me hope the NHL gets bent over in these concussion lawsuits. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the league only cares about player safety when it affects the owners' wallets (ie. when star players are the victims). If McGrattan had forced Sidney Crosby into retirement with a dirty hit, would the league act like it never happened? Not a fracking chance.

Anyways, best of luck to Alberts. Hopefully he can recover enough to live a normal life from here on out.

Side note: I'm glad that bumbling idiot Shanahan is in charge of the Maple Leafs now. No better man to run them (even further) into the ground.

Archived