The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Multiple offers made for top NHL Pick.

I would expect the teams that have the top ten picks this year to be making most of the offers since teams that have a pick after number ten pick would have to pay the price as in adding more prospects or picks. Anyways, as for the Tanev deal that someone mentioned, I think we should hold on to him for now as he was one of our best defenseman this year and we would have to add more pieces than just a sixth overall pick if a better offer came from another team.

But for Ekblad? I mean a chance at a franchise defenseman. It makes you think about it.

Do Roman Hamrlik and Eric Johnson scream franchise defenseman? Does Hedman look to be anything more than a solid #2/3?

The majority of elite defensemen in the league were not even 1st rounders (Keith, Weber, Subban, Letang, etc). Whereas most of the top forwards were top picks. Easier to project them.

Considering our fairly shallow prospect pool, and how rarely we get a pick this high, I'd take a forward. Unless, of course, Ekblad ends up doing a 'Fowler-drop' and is still there at #6.

Do Roman Hamrlik and Eric Johnson scream franchise defenseman? Does Hedman look to be anything more than a solid #2/3?

The majority of elite defensemen in the league were not even 1st rounders (Keith, Weber, Subban, Letang, etc). Whereas most of the top forwards were top picks. Easier to project them.

Considering our fairly shallow prospect pool, and how rarely we get a pick this high, I'd take a forward. Unless, of course, Ekblad ends up doing a 'Fowler-drop' and is still there at #6.

Doughty, Pronger, Johnson, Pietrangelo, OEL, Murray, Jones.

All highly ranked D-men taken in the top 6 that are franchise D-men.

Ekblad is not your everyday top 3 defenseman. Guys like him don't come around too often. He's more like Pronger and Doughty than he is like Johnson and Hamrlik. The perfect mix of size, skating ability, offensive ability, and toughness.

Ekblad is not your everyday top 3 defenseman. Guys like him don't come around too often. He's more like Pronger and Doughty than he is like Johnson and Hamrlik. The perfect mix of size, skating ability, offensive ability, and toughness.

One just has to weigh the risk of taking him, a potential franchise D. Or having a cemented guy in the top 4 with room to grow and the 6th overall.

If kesler is traded except the canucks to trade the best available centre (probably Drasilti or Nylander) and except him to be rushed (probably 1-2 years) because of the need for a 2nd line centre and the fact Horvat is unproven right now. Also I say if 3 centres go in the top 4, except the Canucks to scramble and probably try and move up so they get there centre.

Umm, whoever we pick will be just as unporven as Horvat.

I would trade our 6th and Tanev for Reinhart. We need a future #1 Centerman more than we need a top four defenseman. Look at how hard it is to aquire a true #1 centerman in the NHL. I truly believe SR can be that. I think Tanev is a terrific young D-man, but he will never be a number #1. Probably a #2-3 at his peak. Although its also possible that we draft a potential #1 centerman at 6th (Nylander, Draisaitl). This draft is starting to drive me nuts.

As much as I would love to have Sam Reinhart on the team going forward, giving up assets like Tanev in order to move up 5 spots is not beneficial in my opinion. The Canucks need smart D men like Tanev and the prospect pool on the back end is shallow enough as is. I think everyone is underrating the 6th pick just because of the prestige that comes with the 1st. Sure it would be a great thing to add but at what cost? Having a young piece like Tanev and an A prospect from the 6th is a better move.

I think I'd be content giving up a player to flip picks with a team higher in the draft...if its to get somone we are really sweet on. And I assume that would not be Draisaitl unfortunately...or we would have seen his combine-testing video featured by the 'Nucks on CDC....along with those of Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, & Ekblad.

Ekblad or Draisaitl would be the ones I'd be most thrilled to see attending VAN's next prospects' camp, if possible. Yet, this home-boy angle is playing with most 'Nucks' fans better. Nylander is the wild-card... & Dal Colle's irritability may play better with the GMs & scouts who see this as just having an edge or some truculence. It will be very interesting to see how things play out on draft-day indeed..

There's a reason why Ekblad is ranked so high.

Hedman still looks like he has Franchise potential. 55 points(3rd leading score on TBL) for a 23 year old is pretty darn good. 3 years from now who knows how much better he will be.

If we are moving Tanev with the 6th pick then we should be getting Ekblad.

You take a risk with whoever you draft.

I would trade our 6th and Tanev for Reinhart. We need a future #1 Centerman more than we need a top four defenseman. Look at how hard it is to aquire a true #1 centerman in the NHL. I truly believe SR can be that. I think Tanev is a terrific young D-man, but he will never be a number #1. Probably a #2-3 at his peak. Although its also possible that we draft a potential #1 centerman at 6th (Nylander, Draisaitl). This draft is starting to drive me nuts.

I would love to have Reinhart on the team, he is my favorite player in this draft. I would do anything to get him other than trade Tanev. We need young guys and the Panthers need to compete now, I think there must be another way this deal can be done. Perhaps we can package some of the assets acquired in a Kesler or Edler deal. I think very highly of Tanev and think he would be part of a core group alongside Reinhart for years to come.

The jury is still out on the last three, as far as being "franchise".

And people thought similarly about Klesla, Pitkanen, Whitney, Barker, Johnson & Johnson, Hickey, Alzner, Schenn... All were top-5 picks that would have likely been far better spent on some of the forwards that were available.

I would love to have Reinhart on the team, he is my favorite player in this draft. I would do anything to get him other than trade Tanev. We need young guys and the Panthers need to compete now, I think there must be another way this deal can be done. Perhaps we can package some of the assets acquired in a Kesler or Edler deal. I think very highly of Tanev and think he would be part of a core group alongside Reinhart for years to come.

I know. I think he's a fantastic player for this org moving forward also. Although it is possible that if there is a Kesler/Edler trade in the works we may also land a good young defender with Tanev potential coming back our way as well.

I know. I think he's a fantastic player for this org moving forward also. Although it is possible that if there is a Kesler/Edler trade in the works we may also land a good young defender with Tanev potential coming back our way as well.

I do think the prospects are a step back, crossing fingers in hopes they make it to the same level. That's my only issue with it. I think Tanev would thrive even more in the east against smaller players. Just a tough decision because of where he's at in his development, he seems to do nothing but improve.

I guess it really boils down to how much the Canucks like a player. If they are in love with Reinhart and feel that he's a significant upgrade at what they might get at 6, then I think you have to consider dealing from a position of strength. Even if its overpayment on an NHL14 level, getting that potential 1A center or d-man for the next generation is one of those moves where you will always have to give more in quantity for the quality.

I don't think Dallas is upset with trading Eriksson, Smith, and Morrow for Seguin, even though it might be a really solid outcome for Boston if Smith continues to develop into a top 6 power forward and Morrow develops into a solid top 4 d-man. Dallas still got their #1C to play with Benn, and theyre dynamite to watch together.

I think that Reinhart has an Yzermanish element to his character. Nylander will be a skilled top offensive player, no doubts in my mind, but will he be a team leader off the ice as well? How bout Ehlers, Virtanen, or Ritchie? idk but they don't scream leader nearly as much as I see in Reinhart while listening to his interviews from the combine. This is something the Canucks will NEED to address as the Sedins and Kesler ultimately move on. They've got some solid depth candidates in Horvat and Gaunce, but could use that top line potential with leadership qualities in that group as well.

I guess it really boils down to how much the Canucks like a player. If they are in love with Reinhart and feel that he's a significant upgrade at what they might get at 6, then I think you have to consider dealing from a position of strength. Even if its overpayment on an NHL14 level, getting that potential 1A center or d-man for the next generation is one of those moves where you will always have to give more in quantity for the quality.

I don't think Dallas is upset with trading Eriksson, Smith, and Morrow for Seguin, even though it might be a really solid outcome for Boston if Smith continues to develop into a top 6 power forward and Morrow develops into a solid top 4 d-man. Dallas still got their #1C to play with Benn, and theyre dynamite to watch together.

I think that Reinhart has an Yzermanish element to his character. Nylander will be a skilled top offensive player, no doubts in my mind, but will he be a team leader off the ice as well? How bout Ehlers, Virtanen, or Ritchie? idk but they don't scream leader nearly as much as I see in Reinhart while listening to his interviews from the combine. This is something the Canucks will NEED to address as the Sedins and Kesler ultimately move on. They've got some solid depth candidates in Horvat and Gaunce, but could use that top line potential with leadership qualities in that group as well.

I agree with your assessment of character. The Canucks have been trending with a lot of their recent draft picks in selecting character and leadership.

What I will say is there is a big difference between the Dallas/Boston trade which was more of a hockey trade (Dallas needed the center and Boston needed the depth) and trading significant assets for an unknown. At least Dallas knew what they were trading for and if he could compete at the NHL level when they got Seguin. If the trade ends up being Tanev and Nylander for Reinhart and both Nylander and Tanev thrive and Reinhart doesn't (I think he will) then it will go down as one of the worst trades in history. A lot of risk but yes, the reward would be high.

I agree with your assessment of character. The Canucks have been trending with a lot of their recent draft picks in selecting character and leadership.

What I will say is there is a big difference between the Dallas/Boston trade which was more of a hockey trade (Dallas needed the center and Boston needed the depth) and trading significant assets for an unknown. At least Dallas knew what they were trading for and if he could compete at the NHL level when they got Seguin. If the trade ends up being Tanev and Nylander for Reinhart and both Nylander and Tanev thrive and Reinhart doesn't (I think he will) then it will go down as one of the worst trades in history. A lot of risk but yes, the reward would be high.

I think Nylander is a REALLY good prospect, but I think what Reinhart brings overall as a player is on another level IMO.

Tanev + 6th pick for number 2 pick might be a little much, considering number 2 is probably Reinhart.

the way I see it is..

Dal Cole + Tanev for Reinhart is way too much, considering Dal Cole and Reinhart are pretty much at the same level almost, with Dal Cole being more dynamic, Reinhart the game thinker. its like

Eric Staal (Dal Cole) and Chris Tanev for Jonathan Toews. (Reinhart).

I will try to ask For Christian Ehrhoff in return also, I don't like the idea of giving up a roster dman and our 6 th pick in exhange for a 2nd pick, and nothign else.

I think Nylander is a REALLY good prospect, but I think what Reinhart brings overall as a player is on another level IMO

Straight up from WHL fans whois seen Reinhart play, they believe Reinhart is a better player at the same age then Hopkins. He's stronger and smarter, and is capable of playing an a much much superior all around game. Hopkins is a better skating dangler and maybe a deadlier wrist shot, but this is how the measuring stick works.

Rienhart> Hopkins (who was the 1st overall pick) so right now, the top 2 picks in the 2014 draft is probably stronger then the 2011. Anyways I'm dreaming of Reinhart again. I might actually trade the 6th pick and Tanev for the 2nd pick and take a once in a life time oppurtunity and a Vancouver boy.

Have a Vancouver boy lead the way for the next Generation of the Vancouver Canucks. In 3 years Henrik Sedin will be passing on the Torch to a kid from West Vancouver? A dream come true. Get it done Benning.

Tanev + 6th pick for number 2 pick might be a little much, considering number 2 is probably Reinhart.

the way I see it is..

Dal Cole + Tanev for Reinhart is way too much, considering Dal Cole and Reinhart are pretty much at the same level almost, with Dal Cole being more dynamic, Reinhart the game thinker. its like

Eric Staal (Dal Cole) and Chris Tanev for Jonathan Toews. (Reinhart).

I will try to ask For Christian Ehrhoff in return also, I don't like the idea of giving up a roster dman and our 6 th pick in exhange for a 2nd pick, and nothign else.

I take Toews over Staal and Tanev everyday of the week. Toews is a true leader and has accomplished much more than Staal in his career thus far.

Archived