The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Multiple offers made for top NHL Pick.

Edler might be someone they wouldn't mind bringing in but there's a current conflict with Florida's left side depth (Campbell and Kulikov, but also Jovo if he can stay healthy, Robak and even Matheson, who has another year at least of college hockey). I can see Edler being an improvement and certainly welcome as Jovo and Campbell move on though, even if it is a lot of offensive d-men on the left. Gudbranson, Gilbert and Petrovic are their right side guys, so I'd wonder if they want to improve more on that side or if they're happy with the balance of offence and defence.

Looks like TO just ousted more than canucks could even think about offering.

They don't need star power they need a young player to step in, play big minutes, and help them reach the playoffs. Tanev does all that and they can still find their guy with star power at the 6th pick.

I personally wouldn't do the trade regardless, I just think the value is probably there to justify it.

Tanev is solid because he has, positioning, smarts, closeout speed, gets to pucks and moves them out of the zone. Offensively he's smart, and rotates the puck well.

That should not be mistaken for any type of elite offensive vision, instincts, pucks skills or shot. Geez, Tanev rarely handles the puck or lugs it? Merely moves it along quickly (admittedly usually to the right guy). And we of course know his size puts him at a disadvantage in puck scrums, clearing the net and contributes to wear and tear that see's him injured sometimes. An effective role player with limitations will not cut it.

To get a team to bite on trading a no 1 overall pick, trust me, the selling team will want either a monster in front of their net or a D man who can lug and handle the puck for them all game.

Weber, Chara, Keith, Subban - all drafted outside the 1st round. Heck, Karlsson was even drafted at 15th overall where other notables like Luke Schenn (5th overall) and Colten Teubert (13th overall) were taken before him that same draft year. Who's won the Norris trophy the last several years? Subban, Karlsson, Keith and Chara - oh and some guy named Lidstrom who was drafted in the 3rd round won it a bunch of times.

People forget why guys like Chara and Subban did not get drafted early.

Subban grew several inches and put on 20 plus pounds after he was drafted. Chara was the opposite, a hulking monster who's coordination had not caught up to his body yet. He could barely walk and chew bubble gum. Heaven forbid chew gum, and walk in his skates to get to the ice...

I embellish, but you get the point.

These guys did not have the mature physiques and skills at draft age. It would have been near impossible to project them where they are and they simply did not warrant a higher selection.

But when a guy, say Drew Doughty or Seth Jones, has those attributes its a different story.

Relying on getting D men late is just rolling dice! Defaulting to believing you can convert some uncoordinated lunk into a Norris winner unquestionably an in-exact science.

Toronto isn't always known for being that bright though. More power to them if that's what they want to do, not that I'm hoping it works out for them.

People forget why guys like Chara and Subban did not get drafted early.

Subban grew several inches and put on 20 plus pounds after he was drafted. Chara was the opposite, a hulking monster who's coordination had not caught up to his body yet. He could barely walk and chew bubble gum. Heaven forbid chew gum, and walk in his skates to get to the ice...

I embellish, but you get the point.

These guys did not have the mature physiques and skills at draft age. It would have been near impossible to project them where they are and they simply did not warrant a higher selection.

But when a guy, say Drew Doughty or Seth Jones, has those attributes its a different story.

Relying on getting D men late is just rolling dice! Defaulting to believing you can convert some uncoordinated lunk into a Norris winner unquestionably an in-exact science.

I didn't forget, and you get my point right? Picking defenceman early (and goalies as well, don't forget goalies) isn't usually a good idea no matter how highly touted they are. I mentioned Schenn earlier but Barker was noted as well at 3rd overall.

Phaneuf, Kadri, and the 8th?

How could Van not offer more than that? :lol:

They're gonna trade one overpriced D-man for another? How does that help Florida.

And Kadri is so one dimensional, it's not even funny. Florida has way better centers in their system than him. They need wingers.

OEL and Johnson are not franchise Dmen. Johnson isnt even the best D on Colorado.

There's also defenceman drafted in the top 6 who never lived to that franchise potential, and both Johnson's and Schenn are examples of that. Maybe even Bogosian.

Lol. Jack Johnson...Not Erik.

OEL is definitely a franchise D-man. I suggest you look at his numbers, and then tell me he's not.

There's also forwards drafted in the top 6 that never become star players. That's the gamble you take when drafting anyone. But if there's a potential that we can draft a TRUE number 1 d-man, with that pick, I'd rather take a gamble on that than getting a franchise player with the 6th.

As far as moving up goes, we either pay the price to get Ekblad at #1 or try to move up to #4 for a significantly cheaper cost and still get a game changer. We aren't trading in to the top 3 to get Reinhart, the kid is not a franchise player. Eckblad is...

I think what people forget is the following.

If Kesler moves we NEED to draft a future center

If Edler moves we NEED to draft a future D man

If both move we NEED to be patient for the next season because we will be stumbling a lot.

Looking at our contract space I am wondering how we will work it out for the 50 man limit

I think what people forget is the following.

If Kesler moves we NEED to draft a future center

If Edler moves we NEED to draft a future D man

If both move we NEED to be patient for the next season because we will be stumbling a lot.

Looking at our contract space I am wondering how we will work it out for the 50 man limit

The Canucks don't need to draft a center, even if Kesler is moved. They have Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Labate, Foxe, and Schroeder.

They can easily afford to lose Edler because they don't need him or Garrison playing on the third pairing. The Canucks could use a good defensive prospect regardless of moving Edler.

What the Canucks desperately need in the prospect pool is wingers. After Shinkaruk and Jensen theres not much worth mentioning.

The Canucks don't need to draft a center, even if Kesler is moved. They have Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Labate, Foxe, and Schroeder.

They can easily afford to lose Edler because they don't need him or Garrison playing on the third pairing. The Canucks could use a good defensive prospect regardless of moving Edler.

What the Canucks desperately need in the prospect pool is wingers. After Shinkaruk and Jensen theres not much worth mentioning.

Not really. Fox and LaBate will most likely end up as wingers, perhaps Gaunce as well. We already have Kassian as a young player in the lineup as well and even Matthias played wing at the end of the year. There's also Grenier in the AHL along with Archibald.

We have depth in almost all positions, but we really need blue chip/high end talent at each position for the future.

Not really. Fox and LaBate will most likely end up as wingers, perhaps Gaunce as well. We already have Kassian as a young player in the lineup as well and even Matthias played wing at the end of the year. There's also Grenier in the AHL along with Archibald.

We have depth in almost all positions, but we really need blue chip/high end talent at each position for the future.

So do most teams...

As far as the Canucks prospect pool goes they have a bunch of centers and goalies, but not enough wingers and d-men. Sure, you can switch some centers to wingers but why not keep players in their natural positions if you can?

That's where I am at.

If we trade Kesler we are staring at losing the Sedins in 3 years to retirement or age and slow down leaving us with NO genuine #1 center.

We need that bona fide talent for the top line.

That's where I am at.

If we trade Kesler we are staring at losing the Sedins in 3 years to retirement or age and slow down leaving us with NO genuine #1 center.

We need that bona fide talent for the top line.

this is true regardless of whether or not kesler gets moved.

despite what people on this website believe, there's no chance in hell kesler could step into the primary scoring role on a team that's any better than dead last in the league.

this is true regardless of whether or not kesler gets moved.

despite what people on this website believe, there's no chance in hell kesler could step into the primary scoring role on a team that's any better than dead last in the league.

I still don't see how anyone could honestly think he could. He is not that kind of player, he will drive the play but he will not control it. It is not his forte.

In all honesty while he's an awesome F/O guy and solid shutdown Center, he's a better winger with a playmaker.

Once he's gone we need a bonafide top 6 C to replace him while STILL looking for that eventual #1c to replace Hank in 3-4 years or less.

That is the long term situation and that is what people are forgetting in their haste to draft virtanen ritchie ehlers trade all the players get all the picks mentality.

We have far bigger issues coming up than just worrying about whether Tanev Garrison Edler Burrows Hansen Kesler get traded and who gets drafted.

Biggest of them is that top center and a minimum of two more top 6 players to fill in in the near future.

How about Burrows, 6th overall, and a 3rd? Not saying I would or wouldn't do this, but I think that would be an intriguing offer for FLA to consider.

Again.... It would be a serious offer for both sides.

I'm not sure that the management is going to make a move unless the player somewhat forces their hand.

I don't expect surprise names to pop up this offseason until the new coach has had camp. Kes maybe but only because he may ask for it. Whether that causes a domino effect we'll have to see. Without that domino I can't see it happening.

Toronto isn't always known for being that bright though. More power to them if that's what they want to do, not that I'm hoping it works out for them.

I didn't forget, and you get my point right? Picking defenceman early (and goalies as well, don't forget goalies) isn't usually a good idea no matter how highly touted they are. I mentioned Schenn earlier but Barker was noted as well at 3rd overall.

I get, but disagree with your point. That said, to be fair; I sort of made a general statement as opposed to one specifically directed at yourself.

But yes, where it's warranted, absolutely you should pick a D man early. And above you have sort of documented maybe who should not pick a D man early? ("Toronto isn't always known for being that bright!") Luke Schenn, what was he number 5 overall, was an example of guys getting overly excited about a big guy who looked like he could play. A common thing on CDC and in real life. A high draft pick on the other hand should be reserved for elite talent, elite results against top competition and elite athleticism. Only after that is exhausted do you pick guys who check some but not all the boxes.

The signs should have been there at the combines and in scouting with Schenn and Barker. He just isn't fast enough, and his coordination aint great. Barker was also slow. Who knows how he interviewed, as his head was apparently as big a problem as his slow feet I'm not saying they should not have been drafted. In a different sport, look how many big goof's get drafted high in the NBA hoping they'll be the next Kareem? They were just drafted too high!

I will grant limitations on drafting D. They have to make decisions faster, under more pressure. Is there a level of competition at draft age where they can adequately display that? How many teenagers have the strength and puff to play a 22 or 25 minute role at substantially advanced levels of intensity? And maintain their pucks skills, composure and game thinking?? Not as many D are advanced enough, because their development normally takes longer, to deserve an early selection.

Here is an example? Does Ekblad have the game stewardship, explosive power, endurance, balance, skills, battle level and knack for making plays? Scouting should just be a science of evaluating such things. And if he is the best talent, already most ready to compete at the highest level; well he should be first. (Now I'm not a scout, I'm not answering that. But being a D should not stop the best guy from going first)

Archived