The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Multiple offers made for top NHL Pick.

Nevermind Florida/Buffalo. IMO the prices will be too high.

I think Benning should be targeting NYI. Maybe Tanev+ or Hansen+ then make the Kesler deal with ANA for their 10th+ and we'd have the 5th, 6th and 10th picks.

Reinhart and Ekblad are great talents, but I wouldn't want to move Tanev. He's literally the only good Canuck defensive prospect we have going forward other than Corrado. Cederholm and Subban can turn out as well, but there's a singificant amount of risk involved. The only way I'd consider it would be if we got the 10th pick and got Fleury. We're really thin on the backend going forward and trading Tanev would be a huge mistake.

Also, if we do rebuild, next year's draft has another Ekblad clone (Hanifin) and tons of centers so we should be patient.

I think you are undervaluing Stanton in a big way.

Was just listening to the flames radio and they had the Panthers beat writer on today. He fully expects that pick to be moved for help now. The just layed off 30 sales staff because they are losing money and the fans don't really care about going to the games. They also don't feel Ekblad is a franchise D man, He may fit that 1-2 role but he's not a Sutter, Keith, Weber, Doughty Elite.

He's not sure exactly what they would want since they have a large amount of holes. Possibly a D, but he'd have to be young and already making an impact in the top pairing (Bogosian type). Others wise they just draft Ekblad who's likely NHL ready next season.

The do need a scoring right winger that can play on the first line, someone with flash to help draw in a crowd would be idea (one of the Oilers 4)

The will also likely need to make a bit of a splash in the UFA market. There goal is to be playoff bound next april.

I had to laugh when fans started talking about FLA as if they were a 'profitable' NHL team once new

ownership took over. Not surprised to hear about the staff layoffs. I suspect that the new owners will

have an option to move that club within a timeframe if it does not turn around.

Since the OP didn't quote any of the story, I'll add an important point from it people seem to have forgotten when they go off making proposals:

So our 1st, an established player (maybe Tanev fits that, certainly a prospect wouldn't) and a 2nd/3rd round pick. I'd rather keep Tanev and the 6th overall, let alone add.

Tanev for the 1st or 2nd overall? Sure - but Tanev plus the 6th overall and another pick for the 1st/2nd? Meh. No guarantee we get anything close to a Sedin-level calibre player with the pick.

Weber, Chara, Keith, Subban - all drafted outside the 1st round. Heck, Karlsson was even drafted at 15th overall where other notables like Luke Schenn (5th overall) and Colten Teubert (13th overall) were taken before him that same draft year. Who's won the Norris trophy the last several years? Subban, Karlsson, Keith and Chara - oh and some guy named Lidstrom who was drafted in the 3rd round won it a bunch of times.

Ekblad's 'franchise' potential is absolutely in question. That doesn't mean he couldn't still be a Hamhuis level defenceman, which is still pretty damn good, but I'd hesitate to put him in the rarefied air of franchise potential defencemen. That said, the top talent at this draft has more questions about their elite status than last year's crop or next.

Our 6th, Booth, 3rd?

Probably not the best offer but it fits the description.

Happens every year…. Only really interesting if there significant offers that florida is considering

Edit: buffalo looking for two picks in the top twenty, do you think vancouvers 6th and are 2015 get it done? or maybe vancouvers 6th and detroit 15th (if elder gets dealt)?

There is a chance that one of the top 5 picks will drop to 6th...but the more likely situation is that Canucks trade up.

Nevertheless, I can't wait for NEXT years draft

Tanev is the last D-man we should be adding for a higher pick. We would want to build around him and that pick. He is good enough to lead a D by committee, as we had under Hamhuis. Add Ekblad to that, and all is golden.

Bite the bullet on Edler, flip it.

Tanev is highly overrated. He's a good, albeit small 4th d-man. He's no Hamhuis (a stellar # 2 guy).

Lol at Tanev + our 6th would net the top pick.

Ask yourself, how often does the top overall pick EVER gets traded? Maybe once in ten years?

GMs always like to "test the waters" and make the 1st pick available at the draft, to see what kind of return they could get. Tanev + 6th would be an insult not only to Tallon, but to Ekblad or Reinhart.

That was my first thought entering this thread. There are teams every year that say they'd be willing to listen to offers - and plenty come in - but it's rare that a top pick is ever traded.

Tanev is nothing special. It's hilarious how highly valued he is. Buffalo will never take that deal especially since they already have a couple of "Tanev's" in the system.

Tanev is injury-prone and soft. He's great defensively, but his offensive game is still questionable. He's a good defenseman, but he's not a deal-breaker in a trade.

The Canucks and Florida could potentially be good trading partners, but it's going to take more than Tanev + 6th for them to bite, especially when other teams are likely throwing in more lucrative offers for the 1st pick.

While I don't quite agree on the Tanev evaluation (injury prone?!), I agree that it's unlikely Tanev and the 6th (plus a 2nd or something) would get a trade done.

If Fla hires Gerard Gallant as head coach, can we toss in Sauve, Steven Anthony?

They already have Steven Anthony. We traded him as an extra piece in the Luongo deal.

Was just listening to the flames radio and they had the Panthers beat writer on today. He fully expects that pick to be moved for help now. The just layed off 30 sales staff because they are losing money and the fans don't really care about going to the games. They also don't feel Ekblad is a franchise D man, He may fit that 1-2 role but he's not a Sutter, Keith, Weber, Doughty Elite.

He's not sure exactly what they would want since they have a large amount of holes. Possibly a D, but he'd have to be young and already making an impact in the top pairing (Bogosian type). Others wise they just draft Ekblad who's likely NHL ready next season.

The do need a scoring right winger that can play on the first line, someone with flash to help draw in a crowd would be idea (one of the Oilers 4)

The will also likely need to make a bit of a splash in the UFA market. There goal is to be playoff bound next april.

Jesus christ move it to seattle or quebec alrdy

That certainly might lead credence to the idea of an Edler deal. I think we may have to add more but I don't think the 6th would be required on top of him. The gap isn't that wide for the 5 spots.

I wouldn't be shocked if they considered Booth as an asset to them. He was a popular player there, might have name recognition with the fan base, and they could use his skill set. He also us not a long term commitment. It would greatly depend on their internal cap.

There might be a chance for an Edler,+ deal or a 6th, Booth,+ package, where both of the +s is not a large piece.

It makes sense that Flirida is seeking position players though as the UFA crop is not deep in impact players. If they are salary buyers, from a club like Toronto for example, they may be able to make a few serious additions.

If we could move Edler and keep our 6th overall, I'd be in. I'd include Booth at 50% if they wanted him back as well, as it's only one year we'd have to eat that salary, and then Florida could re-sign him for less. Both players could be quite effective for them actually.

Nevermind Florida/Buffalo. IMO the prices will be too high.

I think Benning should be targeting NYI. Maybe Tanev+ or Hansen+ then make the Kesler deal with ANA for their 10th+ and we'd have the 5th, 6th and 10th picks.

Yup, that was my proposal to deal with NYI as well, but aiming to get a little more back from them:

[Proposal] Vancouver and New York Islanders

With the news that Nilsson's signed in the KHL and the Islanders are forced to either re-sign Nabokov or run with Poulin as their backup to Halak, perhaps they'd be interested in making a deal for a better option. I proposed this in the thread about the Nilsson signing, but thought I'd put it here as well.

To NYI:

Markstrom

Tanev

Shinkaruk

2014 2nd

To Van:

Strome

2014 1st

Shinkaruk's a good prospect but Strome's better. Tanev's a steady if unspectacular defensman, but our top 4 is pretty full right now and we have Corrado in the wings with Weber available as well. Goalies don't get a lot of value so Markstrom and the 2nd should balance it out.

Then maybe the draft goes like this:

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Draisatl (Edm rumoured to be high on him)

4. Ritchie (Burkie and truculence, 'nuff said)

5. Bennett

6. Dal Colle

However the draft goes, we get one of the top 5 if not two.

Hmm, maybe do that, and do the Edler/Booth @ 50% deal with Florida?

1. Ekblad

5. Bennett

6. Dal Colle

Or maybe even trade the 5th and 6th for Buffalo's 2nd overall and 2nd round pick (31st overall, could we also get the 39th overall they have?), then draft Reinhart and Ekblad?

I'd still like to take Nylander if we have the 6th, but I really don't think Benning/Linden are aiming that way considering some of the comments they've made.

That certainly might lead credence to the idea of an Edler deal. I think we may have to add more but I don't think the 6th would be required on top of him. The gap isn't that wide for the 5 spots.

I wouldn't be shocked if they considered Booth as an asset to them. He was a popular player there, might have name recognition with the fan base, and they could use his skill set. He also us not a long term commitment. It would greatly depend on their internal cap.

There might be a chance for an Edler,+ deal or a 6th, Booth,+ package, where both of the +s is not a large piece.

It makes sense that Flirida is seeking position players though as the UFA crop is not deep in impact players. If they are salary buyers, from a club like Toronto for example, they may be able to make a few serious additions.

Edler would be a piece but I don’t think they do that without the pieces, Edler doesn’t make them a playoff team. Edler, higgins, +? maybe helps, Edler just really adds depth to their top 4 and doesn't push them over the top. And I'll be honest i'm hesitant to move our 6th overall. This team also has a need for some help up front, if we get more picks in a Kesler deal maybe but I like having the option of drafting someone in the top ten.

Calgary even played with the idea of Wideman, +. I can see Edmonton making a push moving Yak. He does fit FLA’s right winger needs. Young and has superstar potential. And EDM would jump at the chance to get Ekblad and Draisaitl in the same draft.

I would love to have Reinhart on the team, he is my favorite player in this draft. I would do anything to get him other than trade Tanev. We need young guys and the Panthers need to compete now, I think there must be another way this deal can be done. Perhaps we can package some of the assets acquired in a Kesler or Edler deal. I think very highly of Tanev and think he would be part of a core group alongside Reinhart for years to come.

Reinhart's performance in the the latest WJC really turned me off of him. I don't think he's a great skater. He also played wing.

Ekblad would anchor the franchise for a decade.

Good looking

big

skilled

canadian

Everything u want. Iam afriad id still go with reinhart. The north van connection is too sentimental

This made me chuckle a little. Good looking players = Franchise players

Edler would be a piece but I don’t think they do that without the pieces, Edler doesn’t make them a playoff team. Edler, higgins, +? maybe helps, Edler just really adds depth to their top 4 and doesn't push them over the top. And I'll be honest i'm hesitant to move our 6th overall. This team also has a need for some help up front, if we get more picks in a Kesler deal maybe but I like having the option of drafting someone in the top ten.

Calgary even played with the idea of Wideman, +. I can see Edmonton making a push moving Yak. He does fit FLA’s right winger needs. Young and has superstar potential. And EDM would jump at the chance to get Ekblad and Draisaitl in the same draft.

Edler might be someone they wouldn't mind bringing in but there's a current conflict with Florida's left side depth (Campbell and Kulikov, but also Jovo if he can stay healthy, Robak and even Matheson, who has another year at least of college hockey). I can see Edler being an improvement and certainly welcome as Jovo and Campbell move on though, even if it is a lot of offensive d-men on the left. Gudbranson, Gilbert and Petrovic are their right side guys, so I'd wonder if they want to improve more on that side or if they're happy with the balance of offence and defence.

Tanev is highly overrated. He's a good, albeit small 4th d-man. He's no Hamhuis (a stellar # 2 guy).

He was better than Hamhuis last season defensively, and scored at the same rate. I fully expect the gap to grow next season. He's not really small either, he's got the frame, just needs a sandwich. Has slowly been putting on weight over the last few seasons, at the right age for that to become easier. He could be better than Hamhuis ever was.

How many franchise players do you people think are in this draft? Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Toews, Kane and the Sedins weren't all drafted in the same damn year.

Some of these kids will bust. Others will do far worse than anticipated. The biggest name from this draft could very well be passed over multiple times by teams before being picked, if he even does get picked and not signed as a free agent.

This is the way the draft has always been. A pick, whether it's #1, #3 or #6 is hardly a guarantee. You guys are deeply undervaluing already-proven players, regardless of their performance, compared to draft picks. Tanev and #6 for #1? Kesler for #10? What the hell is our #6 worth then? Datsyuk? Any GM would take those deals and run because they are absolutely batshit.

TL;DR - CDC doesn't understand risk

Archived