The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The PK, PP and Second line

EoH

As we all know Ryan Kesler is a staple not only for our second line, but also our PP and PK.

Going into the next season, its unlikely Keslers going to be in a Canucks Uniform.

So my question is, who takes Keslers place on the PP, PK and become our second line centre?

I'm not sure if Henrik and Daniel are still going to be on the PK after that little fiasco we had with Tortorella. If anything Henrik will just be on for draws, but if that's not the case, who do you guys see taking key faceoffs on the PK?

Also, there comes the question of the PP. Kesler is always the presence in front of the net. However, we could always use Kassian or Burrows to replace him, or would you guys like a different personnel?

And the final question regards the second line centre. Do we give chances for our upcoming rookies, move up Richardson/Mathias/Re-sign Santorelli or would you guys prefer it if we signed someone?

Daniel Hank Jenson

Burrows Matthias Kassian

Shinckarukak Horvat Higgins

Sestito Richardson Booth

Not bad but will help with additions from the kesler trade and drafting and ufa's

That's not bad if we're trading Kesler for futures but if we are trying for a playoff spot in lieu of a better draft pick, we should least bring back Santorelli.

Also Shinkaruk should spend a year in the AHL.

If we're actually trying to contend next year, I see no reason to trade Kesler. He's a great 2 way player on a very good contract.

If we do trade him, it will be for a rebuild. If we're rebuilding, we'll just stick a couple plugs into the PK, PP, and stick Santorelli/Schroeder into the 2c slot. With one of those two guys anchoring the 2nd line and the Sedins on the first, I smell some Mcdavid

If we're actually trying to contend next year, I see no reason to trade Kesler. He's a great 2 way player on a very good contract.

If we do trade him, it will be for a rebuild. If we're rebuilding, we'll just stick a couple plugs into the PK, PP, and stick Santorelli/Schroeder into the 2c slot. With one of those two guys anchoring the 2nd line and the Sedins on the first, I smell some Mcdavid

He's getting traded if he didn't get traded it would be a huge distraction for the team... Lou 2.0.

As we all know Ryan Kesler is a staple not only for our second line, but also our PP and PK.

Going into the next season, its unlikely Keslers going to be in a Canucks Uniform.

So my question is, who takes Keslers place on the PP, PK and become our second line centre?

I'm not sure if Henrik and Daniel are still going to be on the PK after that little fiasco we had with Tortorella. If anything Henrik will just be on for draws, but if that's not the case, who do you guys see taking key faceoffs on the PK?

Also, there comes the question of the PP. Kesler is always the presence in front of the net. However, we could always use Kassian or Burrows to replace him, or would you guys like a different personnel?

And the final question regards the second line centre. Do we give chances for our upcoming rookies, move up Richardson/Mathias/Re-sign Santorelli or would you guys prefer it if we signed someone?

Richardson can be the key faceoff guy (he had a better FO% than Kesler). Santorelli, Hansen, Burrows, Higgins, and if he makes the team Horvat can kill penalties.

Assuming rest of the roster is the same.

PK

Richardson Hanson 1st

Matthias Burrows 2nd

Horvat Higgins 3rd

PP

Sedin Sedin Kassian big Kass in front of the net.

Garrison Edler alternate and switch up who has shot, cannon or shot through

Higgins Horvat Burrows hard work PP, rotate other guys in. Giving Horvat experience

Bieksa Tanev

The second Line will be Horvat or Matthias baring UFA and/or Trade

Even if Kesler brings us nothing but high picks and prospects that aren't NHL-ready, we'll have to roll something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Jensen - Santorelli - Higgins

Hansen - Matthias - Burrows

Booth - Richardson - Horvat

Maybe throw MDC/Nylander into the mix because they could easily out-play Hansen, Burrows or Booth for a roster spot.

Our season is essentially going to rest on whether Kassian, Jensen and Matthias can have a break-out season. If they can score 20 goals each we may well make the playoffs. If Horvat/Shinkaruk/MDC/Nylander play well and play 15 minutes a game in our top-9 we could make the playoffs. Even if the Sedins struggle to score again and only put up 60 points, if these young kids can contribute the way they do in Detroit, Boston, Los Angeles and Colorado then look out - we've still got a solid, stable defence and Lack handled 40 games quite well. The reason we sucked last season was our offence, but if these young guys get it going then we'll actually surprise some people and make the playoffs.

As for PP:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Edler - Garrison

Kassian - Santorelli - Booth

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Everyone but the Sedins should play as a pairing on the PK.

We have lots of PK'ers. Hansen, Higgins, Richardson, Burrows can all PK well. The power play is shot unless someone can get the Sedins to shoot the puck. I wouild think if Kesler goes we'll get a center back or we would pick one up in free agency.

If we're really going full rebuild, I'd like to see Santorelli not signed. He's been a good plug, but I'm hoping we draft a centre in a few weeks, like Draisatl or Bennett, and have them under the Sedins. Pray they turn out like Galchenyuk has for Montreal

Daniel Hank Jenson

Burrows Matthias Kassian

Sestito Richardson Booth

Not bad but will help with additions from the kesler trade and drafting and ufa's

Thank you for the good chuckle!

also, if Kesler ends up being traded, signing Santorelli should happen to secure more depth at center ice. Shawn Matthias is not a 2nd line center in the NHL. If anything Burrows would play that position out of anyone if Santorelli is not signed. Matthias suits better as a winger either way.

Sedin - Sedin - JENSEN

Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian

Matthias - Horvat - Burrows

UFA - Richardson - UFA

SHINKARUK will at least start the season in the AHL

Booth bought out.

Hansen and Kesler traded

Even if Kesler brings us nothing but high picks and prospects that aren't NHL-ready, we'll have to roll something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Jensen - Santorelli - Higgins

Hansen - Matthias - Burrows

Booth - Richardson - Horvat

Maybe throw MDC/Nylander into the mix because they could easily out-play Hansen, Burrows or Booth for a roster spot.

Our season is essentially going to rest on whether Kassian, Jensen and Matthias can have a break-out season. If they can score 20 goals each we may well make the playoffs. If Horvat/Shinkaruk/MDC/Nylander play well and play 15 minutes a game in our top-9 we could make the playoffs. Even if the Sedins struggle to score again and only put up 60 points, if these young kids can contribute the way they do in Detroit, Boston, Los Angeles and Colorado then look out - we've still got a solid, stable defence and Lack handled 40 games quite well. The reason we sucked last season was our offence, but if these young guys get it going then we'll actually surprise some people and make the playoffs.

As for PP:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Edler - Garrison

Kassian - Santorelli - Booth

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Everyone but the Sedins should play as a pairing on the PK.

Agreed and like you said, Santo or anyone else mentioned can outplay Hansen.

Sedins + Kassian

Jensen Santo Burrows

Hansen Horvat Matthias *We all know Matthias can't take a face off to save himself lol*

Sestito Richardson Booth

If we do trade for Kesler these lines have to be relooked but honestly we need Kassian to have another crack with the Sedins after seeing his last offensive burst near the end of the last season. Even though scoring was an issue for our team it's hard to deny his offensive ability especially he's like what? Top 6 in scoring on our team of last year?

Daniel Hank Jenson

Burrows Matthias Kassian

Sestito Richardson Booth

I dont see Matthias being ready to fill 2C. Hes a perfect 3C.

I'd say we trade Kesler to the east so we dont have to deal with him as much :D

Really Kesler is the only one as of right now with lots of trade value. We could get a lot from him. As much as I want Kesler to stay, I also want to make the playoffs next year. If that means trading away one of our best players for more and younger players, I'd do thosr kinds of deals in a heartbeat.

Archived