The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Poille - "No, we are not trading Shea Weber."

I will. His combination of size (6'4" 234 lbs), hockey sense, leadership, and agility make him a premier defenseman.

He has a mean streak and a 106 mph shot that is frighteningly accurate.

He certainly has an abundance of patience as well considering he has played through some pretty unsuccessful campaigns in Nashville.

There are other great defensemen, but Shea Weber is probably the apex predator (pun intended) of the bunch.

He is good offensively no one is debating that but he is not that great defensively. Keith, Doughty are clear 1 and 2 in the league Shea Weber is at best number 3 but you could easily but slot Suter in there and then if Karlsson cleans up his defensive game he will be the best dman in the league by far.

I consider any team that never made the playoffs a team that had a bad year.

Some are worse than others.

the predators had a bad year when pekka rinne went down,but they finished the season 3 points out of the playoffs,don't really consider that a bad team,but its you own opinion

the predators had a bad year when pekka rinne went down,but they finished the season 3 points out of the playoffs,don't really consider that a bad team,but its you own opinion

I did point out that injuries never helped NSH. Hutton is a big reason why they were only 3 points out.

could not have said it any better,l get to watch him play everyday,so i should know how great of a defenseman his is and he is a top dog defenseman.

Lucky you. Having a likely HOF, franchise dman isn't something you get to have everyday. My fav team is the Red Wings and I got to watch Lidstrom dominate the league for decades. Now Weber is no where near Nick as he's arguably the best ever lol but just saying how rare it is to have a true franchise defenseman.

...you'll be even more appreciative when Weber retires/leaves...the saying is true that you don't know what you have till its gone.

That means absolutely nothing the Predators were out of the playoffs months before they started. To be honest if you look at the standings next year the only team that the Predators might be able to squeak by is Dallas. You are not going to be finishing 1-3 in your division and Minnesota ran away with the first wild card slot so you would have to hope for the last spot. Seeing how incredibly deep the draft is next year I would prefer to miss the playoffs and take the chances at McDavid No matter what the Preds do they will be a non playoff time of barely squeak in and get eliminated in the first round,

Next year is the year to miss playoffs the Predators need a lot of work to compete in their division Chicago, St. Louis and Colorado are all stacked and young.

I'd like to see the Preds get Spezza to help out the young guys and balance the lineup in front of Weber.

Something like Bourque, Hellberg/Beck, 1st

This would be a great move for the Preds to go after a top name center on the market. Spezza will probably be the cheapest to get trade-wise. Thornton, Marleau, Kesler, etc. would all be good additions if possible.

If Nashville is short on cash (not saying that they are, just always seemed to be a team that has trouble making money) then about the only way you might get Weber out of there at this point would be:

To Nash:

Kesler

6th Overall

1st Round Pick 2015

20 Million US

To Van:

Weber

Emil Pettersson (or 4th or 5th round pick - something to balance contract count)

That might be a starter if it could be done before Nashville has to cough up the next 13 Million Signing bonus

Like Poile said, they have a great young defense to build around. They need offense. #6 Selection would help them build that and Kesler would provide immediate scoring.

That deal may get ownerships attention and get an override on moving Weber.

Canucks have the cash to absorb a 20 million payment and then the 13 million bonus.

If Nashville is short on cash (not saying that they are, just always seemed to be a team that has trouble making money) then about the only way you might get Weber out of there at this point would be:

To Nash:

Kesler

6th Overall

1st Round Pick 2015

20 Million US

To Van:

Weber

Emil Pettersson (or 4th or 5th round pick - something to balance contract count)

That might be a starter if it could be done before Nashville has to cough up the next 13 Million Signing bonus

Like Poile said, they have a great young defense to build around. They need offense. #6 Selection would help them build that and Kesler would provide immediate scoring.

That deal may get ownerships attention and get an override on moving Weber.

Canucks have the cash to absorb a 20 million payment and then the 13 million bonus.

Stopped reading at the $20 million US. You can't trade money...

Stopped reading at the $20 million US. You can't trade money...

I tried to find any reference to a rule preventing this. Gretzky was traded in part for a 15 million dollar cash payment directly to Pocklington.

Can anyone find anything saying this can't still be done, business to business?

I know its not common anymore, but teams used to trade players at times just straight up for cash.

Weber is a beast! Can do it at both ends of the ice! Gotta love that hes a BC boy too. You would have to catch Poille passed out and forge his signature on a trade! Thats the only way hes getting taken out of Nashville. Hes definitely a guy worth going all in for.

I still say Nashville shot themselves in the foot when they didn't manage to re-sign Suter.

Suter - Weber was a Hall-of-Fame pairing, on par with the likes of Pronger - Neidermeyer in their own way.

Nashville was prepared to re-sign suter and also sign parise, but parise wanted to play in minnesota,so suter decided to go there to play with him

Nashville was prepared to re-sign suter and also sign parise, but parise wanted to play in minnesota,so suter decided to go there to play with him

Nashville never had a shot at Parise and Suter should of been traded for a kings ransom. The Preds would be in a much better position than they are now. Weber wants out of Nashville the only reason he's not demanding it and just sucking it up is because he doesn't have a NTC; he tried to get Poile to add one but was denied. If Weber demands a trade now he can get sent to an even worse team; those are the only teams that will give up the picks and roster players than Nashville wants.

Archived