The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Salaries: Lowest in Canada?

Russianfan

This thread kind of reminds me of something I read from Mike Rowe... http://www.lifebuzz.com/mike-rowe/#!YHo6z

For those that don't want to read the whole thing, here's the best part...

Mike Rowe is a great man.

If your parents had $60,000 each in the 70's they were way above average in income. The way companies are cutting back you'll be lucky if you make $60,000 now. And $60,000 in the 70's is about $120,000 in today's dollars.

$60K Canadian in 1975 is $266,382.98 in 2014

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/related/inflation-calculator/

seems a little high, they got paid more than any NHL player back then

I can't believe people are actually taking this guy seriously lol

good troll job OP

it's ironic how everyone is calling him out on his intelligence

Well the reason it starts out that way? Trolling is against the rules and will eventually get you evicted here so we tend to think most threads are sincere and truthful, if at least initially. So most will respond accordingly.

Secondly, people who troll others on the internet? Either lacking in intelligence or not applying it to something useful.

And my final point being that someone pumping their own tires as the greatest being on the planet should have a basic grasp of spelling and grammar in support of that. Clearly, not the case.

I am serious, I will ask for 65 k because i feel this is perfectly normal, especially for a great degree like communucations which many of you have downplayed, but failed to realize that only SFU offers this highly saught after degree in BC. Give your head a shake people.

Maybe he didn't start out trying to troll, but with this post its pretty clear he has now given up. That, or he is desperate to save face.

There are tons of communications students at SFU and I'm sure they will all be hired before a guy who cannot even spell....seems like an important quality of a communications student....

Regardless of how you feel about the op, he does bring up some interesting points re salaries/expectations.

The majority of posters here laughing at his expectations shows me that they simply lack the confidence to achieve and ability to visualize a 6 figure income. Granted, working for someone else is usually not the way to get there but the first step is being able to imagine it.

Cliche but true.

In my experience, being unwilling to settle for less will either get you what you want, or send you down the road to newer opportunities where you can achieve what you want. It's all do-able, if you can envision it.

Also, there are an infinite number of ways to achieve something like 100k/yr. Unfortunatley, getting a 9-5er usually isn't one of them. It may be part of the equation, depends on your drive and your brain power and your risk tolerance. Multiple income streams is where it's at for regular joes.

So laugh it up, because telling yourself something is impossible is a sure fire way to make it impossible. True story.

"So laugh it up, because telling yourself something is impossible is a sure fire way to make it impossible. True story."

If something is impossible it IS impossible, telling yourself that something improbable is impossible might make it impossible, or not.

Telling yourself it is impossible will only make it impossible to you.

Regardless of how you feel about the op, he does bring up some interesting points re salaries/expectations.

The majority of posters here laughing at his expectations shows me that they simply lack the confidence to achieve and ability to visualize a 6 figure income. Granted, working for someone else is usually not the way to get there but the first step is being able to imagine it.

Cliche but true.

In my experience, being unwilling to settle for less will either get you what you want, or send you down the road to newer opportunities where you can achieve what you want. It's all do-able, if you can envision it.

Also, there are an infinite number of ways to achieve something like 100k/yr. Unfortunatley, getting a 9-5er usually isn't one of them. It may be part of the equation, depends on your drive and your brain power and your risk tolerance. Multiple income streams is where it's at for regular joes.

So laugh it up, because telling yourself something is impossible is a sure fire way to make it impossible. True story.

I think you've missed the point of our comments.

It's not that we're shooting down his ambitious attitude, it's how he's presenting things in a "the world owes me" way. To feel that someone will hand you a golden ticket isn't realistic...you have to go out there and earn opportunities that will come your way. Or at least hunt them down and prove yourself as part of the process.

We're not saying it's impossible...we're saying it's unreasonable to expect that simply flashing a degree will secure you a starting salary that he's aiming for. He'll have to demonstrate his worth beyond that piece of paper and that's where our argument comes in.

Confidence is great but if basic people skills like humility aren't in place (along with spelling and grammar), you've likely got to work on that as part of your game plan. Talking the talk is only part of it and if you can't walk the walk (or compose a proper cover letter), someone else will likely beat you out. It is "doable"....but a well rounded approach is more likely to succeed than walking in and throwing down a piece of paper with a sense of entitlement behind it.

I would really like to see what it is that makes these kids coming out of university and college think that the world will be handed to them on a silver platter. Not too long ago I was looking to hire someone in a sales position and interviewed a guy fresh out of school who sounded almost exactly like the OP. He figured he was owed $70,000 a year plus commission. I asked if he was joking and asked to explain why I should pay an unproven graduate that much. One of his reasons was he said he spoke fluent Afrikaans. Great, you speak a language in a market I have absolutely zero interest in. My HR lady and I literally laughed him out of the door. The sad thing is there are many recent graduates I have talked to who are not far off. I never went to university, so I don't know what it is that is giving all these students such unrealistic expectations. No wonder so many of them get depressed.

I think you've missed the point of our comments.

It's not that we're shooting down his ambitious attitude, it's how he's presenting things in a "the world owes me" way. To feel that someone will hand you a golden ticket isn't realistic...you have to go out there and earn opportunities that will come your way. Or at least hunt them down and prove yourself as part of the process.

We're not saying it's impossible...we're saying it's unreasonable to expect that simply flashing a degree will secure you a starting salary that he's aiming for. He'll have to demonstrate his worth beyond that piece of paper and that's where our argument comes in.

Confidence is great but if basic people skills like humility aren't in place (along with spelling and grammar), you've likely got to work on that as part of your game plan. Talking the talk is only part of it and if you can't walk the walk (or compose a proper cover letter), someone else will likely beat you out. It is "doable"....but a well rounded approach is more likely to succeed than walking in and throwing down a piece of paper with a sense of entitlement behind it.

As I said to him in one of his other threads...

White collar resume but Blue collar work ethic.

He argued against that logic.

This is the philosophy i live by:

Be a movie star or rock a main stage,
An Xbox tester, or an astronaut in space,
If they tell you that you can't,
You can shove it in their face,
I can, I can, I can, so

Quotes from a world renowned group HEDLEY in their hit single "Anything".

This song represents modern societies view on youth and their supression of their dreams. The song says that if you want to be anything you wanna be, go for it, there are no consiquences for going after your true desires. The song illustrates that if you want to be someone you have to persue that goal no matter what, and try your best to be whatever it is you want to be, because ultiamtely that is the best way to go about life.

For those interested the full lyrics can be found here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/hedley/anything.html

Well said.

Thing is, the entire purpose of an interview is to look beyond the stuff on paper so that supports the thinking that you have to have more than a degree. People skills as well as fundamental, basic communication skills are part of the big picture. This guy needs work on some of that.

Confidence is a definite asset but there's a fine line that crosses over into cockiness and arrogance, which don't make for great first impressions.

This is the philosophy i live by:

Quotes from a world renowned group HEDLEY in their hit single "Anything".

This song represents modern societies view on youth and their supression of their dreams. The song says that if you want to be anything you wanna be, go for it, there are no consiquences for going after your true desires. The song illustrates that if you want to be someone you have to persue that goal no matter what, and try your best to be whatever it is you want to be, because ultiamtely that is the best way to go about life.

For those interested the full lyrics can be found here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/hedley/anything.html

And now I'm convinced you are, in fact, trolling.

So you are developing a life plan based on Hedley lyrics? This is getting good now.

And please use spellcheck, this is killing me.

FTR, you weren't discussing what you wanted to be. You were discussing your salary expectations in just starting out...those are two different things. All those things listed in the song? People have to work their way in - attend an interview, beat out all the other interviewees by using people skills, prove their worth and then settle in.

You CAN be whatever you want if you try hard enough. Your employer will then establish your salary based on what he/she feels you're worth.

We are the champions, my friend(s).

I am about to graduate from college and I was thinking of what I can expect as a new graduate. All my life my parents, my school staff, the media, literature etc has told me that if I went to school and hung on to get my degree i will be rewarded with an amazing future.

My parents started with 60,000$ a year and full benefits in the 70s, and I am expecting something similar out of marketing school. I feel that with a lot of old timers retiring the companies will be desperate for new staff, especially highly trained college educated staff. How much should I be asking for on my first job interviews? Do you feel $55,.000-$60,000 a year is an appropriate income for a business professional such as my self?

I always told my self I should be making 100k a year within first 3 years of coming out of college, because Vancouver is so expensive to live in, my rent is $1500 which is huge vs what I make now.

What is scaring me is that I read an article saying Vancouver salaries are among the lowest in Canada, how does that make sense if our housing is the highest in Canada? How does that relate? Please help me understand, should I be asking for a higher salary from my employers to justify the high rent I pay and the increasing real estate?

Is it time to push for higher salaries?

If you want to make lots of money and run a successful business, you need to go outside of Vancouver and maybe outside of Canada. There are more business opportunities in Asian countries and middle east. I will also say that you need to bring down your expectations a little bit. Only people that make 100K a year within first 3 years of coming out of college are probably dentists, doctors and maybe some lawyers.

I'm sorry but this makes zero sense to me. Blue Collar work ethic? lol

Hey, I agree, most of these snotty self entitled 20 somethings don't deserve much of what they think they do but, on the other hand, if you shoot for the stars what is the worst that can happen? You end up at a 30-40k/yr job. So why not go for 60 or 70k?

That's always been my approach and it has served me well. In life, the real risk is in taking no risk at all, because then you have nothing to gain. If you are at a shitty dead end job, you have to realize that the worst that can happen is that you'll end up at a shitty dead end job, which is where you started, so go for it. Demand what you think you are worth and you might be surprised at what will happen.

I'm sorry but this makes zero sense to me. Blue Collar work ethic? lol

Hey, I agree, most of these snotty self entitled 20 somethings don't deserve much of what they think they do but, on the other hand, if you shoot for the stars what is the worst that can happen? You end up at a 30-40k/yr job. So why not go for 60 or 70k?

That's always been my approach and it has served me well. In life, the real risk is in taking no risk at all, because then you have nothing to gain. If you are at a crapty dead end job, you have to realize that the worst that can happen is that you'll end up at a crapty dead end job, which is where you started, so go for it. Demand what you think you are worth and you might be surprised at what will happen.

I will say that OP seems like an ambitious guy but he needs to either put in the effort or think like a genius to reach his ultimate goals. Can the OP do that? That is the real question.

i got a better idea for you.. get a job you actually enjoy doing and stop thinking of the money.. I would take a job I enjoy for 25,000 over a horrible job I hate for 80,000. After 7 or so different jobs I am still not in a great financial position but the feeling I get from waking up in the morning and not hating my job/life/co-workers is freaking amazing, something completely invaluable and something you cannot put a price on.

Well said ^. Money can't buy happiness and if you're miserable in your job, it sucks the fun out of life. Believe me, I just left a job after investing several years there to move on to something that made me happier.

And I think the "blue collar" work ethic Minister speaks of is a put on your work boots and nose to the grindstone thing. That you have to invest a bit of blood, sweat and tears if you want success (unless, of course, you "know somebody").

Actually, the "worst that can happen" is that he struggles to even get a job - there are no guarantees.

Archived