The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

Hopefully Desjardins doesn't move to Point Roberts.....

Desjardins strikes me as an honest, tax-paying Canadian citizen...assuming the rumors are correct, he'll will probably settle into a nice $1.5M townnhouse on Marinaside so that he can walk to Rogers Arena.

This way he will be able to spend lots of time at the office (another hard-working guy, just like TL and JB)...seems like the Rog is a place the players like to hang out, so hopefully that means lots of face time between coach and players.

I'd be lying if I said I knew much about WD, but he apparently had a team that played an up-tempo, puck possession, strong on transition type of game...sounds like a hybrid of Winter Crow's WCE/AV's puck control style. If that's the case, a new question arises...do we have the right players to play this style? The team that I saw last year looked old, tired, and slow (with the exception of the Boston game).

are electrolytes even a real thing?

or is it more a marketing term meaning water with flavor added?

its salts that your body needs and you lose through peeing and sweating so yeah it is a real thing but i was making a movie reference lol.

It'll be a huge mistake hiring Desjardins as the Canucks' next head coach. A 57-year old with no NHL experience at all. Really?

You should check his bio.

From 2010-12, Desjardins was the Associate Head Coach of the Dallas Stars (NHL). That's basically the same position that Stevens was just promoted to in L.A. (and as about as high a coaching position you can hold without actually being named Head Coach).

So he has NHL level coaching experience.

He also has a decade of head coaching experience in the WHL (where he won two championships) and another two years of head coaching experience in the AHL (where he's just won a championship). He's even served as a WHL General Manager in 2005-06. And he's coached at the university level, in Japan, and for Team Canada (Men's and Juniors).

He's dealt with all types and all ages of players--from juniors to pros.

And he's also a highly educated guy (two Bachelor's degrees and a Masters) plus he's completed the highest levels of formal training with the NCCP.

Desjardins' credentials are impeccable. He's not your typical "rookie" head coach.

It'll be a huge mistake hiring Desjardins as the Canucks' next head coach. A 57-year old with no NHL experience at all. Really? This is not some expansion team that can let a rookie NHL coach make mistakes and learn from them. Their top end players are not old but the team needs to win now before they do get old.

The Sedins sucked last season as did Burrows which is the single biggest reason they struggled (that and this team was too soft to play the hardnosed style Tortorella wanted). Those guys should have a big year to erase the horrid memories from last season. If Kesler wants out, good riddance. He's a winger posing as a centre anyway and whines when he gets played as a winger. They should get a decent return for him which is another reason to believe the Canucks will bounce back in a huge way.

Hiring a newb coach isn't going to help this team. They need a veteran NHL coach with a strong voice who won't be worrying about whether he's handling NHLers the right way or not.

Willie doesn't just have AHL experience. He has NHL experience - just not as Head coach. From 2010 to 2012, Willie served as the associate head coach of the Dallas Stars. He's been around the NHL long enough to know whether he's handling NHLers the right way.

lol i don't understand how he got so butt hurt over water, or was it Gatorade or maybe it was Brawndo: the Thirst Mutilator. now that would make sense, its got Electrolytes.

Check him out, surtur...messed up his 80s hairdo, water-stained his tie, got his virgin-wool suit wet...all good reasons to flip out on one of your top players who's obvious not happy with what just happened on his last shift. That's just real good coaching -- beating down your player when he's obviously upset with himself...doesn't an intuitive coach lift his guys up when they're down and bring them down a notch when they're too high on themselves? Nice coaching job, Eakins. Back to the "A" you go, Dallas.

I'm sure this has been posted, but I didn't see it, so for those who care:

Former Medicine Hat Tiger Wacey Hamilton:

“His greatest quality in my mind is how much he cares about his players and how passionate and committed he is to winning at the same time,” wrote Hamilton, a centre who signed with Ottawa as a free agent in March 2011, and just finished his third AHL season with the Binghamton Senators. “Willie is one of those few coaches, in my experience, who can get absolutely everything out of each and every player on his team.”

I think what made me finally say, ‘I’ll come to Medicine Hat,’ was just how sincere he was and how passionate he was about winning, all the while focusing on developing his players,” Hamilton remembered. “Not that I didn’t feel that from Vancouver. I just felt like I instantly trusted him and his plan to get me to the next level.”

Former Medicine Hat Tiger, Steve Marr:

“I’ve got guys I know in the NHL that I wouldn’t go to these lengths for if they quit tomorrow and were looking for a job,” said Marr, who works on Vancouver’s waterfront for Viterra, a company that handles and markets grain. “Willie has influenced my life that much. I owe it to him to do this.”

Bob Green, Former AGM of theMedicine Hat Tigers:

“Willie will coach what he’s got,” said Bob Green, who worked under Desjardins as assistant general manager with the Tigers and is now a scout with the Edmonton Oilers. “That’s why he’s had success in the AHL. You’re losing guys all the time. “He worries about the guys he’s got and he figures out a way to win. He just wins.

“Guys really like playing for Willie. He just has a way about him.”

The (apparent) negative:

Terry Jones wrote this: “An absolute media relations disaster, colourless and quoteless during this world juniors, the Medicine Hat Tigers coach has been stiff, short, uncomfortable and almost intimidated by the media mob.” And that was in the preview story for the finale, which Canada lost 6-5 in overtime to the U.S.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/20/former-medicine-hat-tigers-players-rave-about-coaching-of-willie-desjardins/

From 2010-12, Desjardins was the Associate Head Coach of the Dallas Stars (NHL). That's basically the same position that Stevens was just promoted to in L.A. (and as about as high a coaching position you can hold without actually being named Head Coach).

He also has a decade of head coaching experience in the WHL (where he won two championships) and another two years of head coaching experience in the AHL (where he's just won a championship). He's even served as a WHL General Manager in 2005-06. And he's coached at the university level, in Japan, and for Team Canada (Men's and Juniors).

And he's also a highly educated guy (two Bachelor's degrees and a Masters) plus he's completed the highest levels of formal training with the NCCP.

Desjardins' credentials are impeccable. He's not your typical "rookie" head coach.

Starting to like WD more and more...one thing for sure, Linden has not deviated from the profile that he's looking for in the people he's hiring.

Linden's acumen, leadership and ability to run the hockey operations to date gets a high grade from me...hopefully we'll see more little successes over the next couple of weeks.

Umm, it bolsters their credentials? Would you rather hire a coach that just got knocked out of the first round of a tournament?

eeyore_rain.jpg

I'm not sure where in my post you got "it's implied a new coach will make us contenders"--seems more like you're making crap up to attack my position.

You're the one who said the reason you didn't want Bylsma was because of his poor playoff record yet he had a great regular season record even when dealing with key injuries. I believe Pittsburg was one of the most injured teams throughout the regular season yet Bylsma kept them on track.

What does a poor playoff record mean when the team is likely not even going to make the playoffs or if they do have little odds of advancing?

You're just back-peddling.

His education means nothing. This is hockey. Jacques Demers coached 14 years in the NHL and won a Stanley Cup all while being functionally illiterate.

I'm still hoping this falls through cause I'm not sold on this guy at all.

it I thought it was reported earlier? wasnt it on the front page of nhl.com

feel free to reply without the smartassness

Desjardins is being interviewed this weekend. It was originally rumoured that Desjardins would go to either Carolina, Pitt, or Van. Carolina just hired Peters. After being interviewed with Pitt, Desjardins did not sign there and is now on his way here. Since Pitt didn't wow him enough to get him signed during their interview process, people are logically suggesting that he is more interested in Van. Desjardins has not signed here officially nor has it been rumoured that he's signed here. All that facts have only been interpreted to mean that Van is most likely to sign him. Thus, there isn't anything to report other than Desjardins did not sign with Pitt.

I never read that NHL.com front page I was going off the Kevin Weekes and Bob Mac tweets which were the only original sources I've read/heard today.

Archived