The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Umberger traded to Philly for Hartnell

It would appear at first glance as though Hextall messed the bed on this one. But Hartnell has been on the wane for over 2 seasons. This is the same forum that wants Burrows traded after 1 off season but claims Philli lost this deal in a big way.

All i can see with Umberger coming back is a secondary move involving Lecavelier.

I would also like to point out that no Umberger takes care of any of the reasons Kesler would not want to go to Columbus.

What do you mean on the wane? Hartnell put up 52 points last year.

That's his 3rd best season ever.

Takeaway personality, Overall for their career PPG totals are not that different. 0.56ppg for Hartnell vs 0.54ppg for Umberger. Umberger is also a bit bigger than Hartnell...its not that bad of trade.

Like I guess Philly might have done it as a cap dump but even then if they wanna sign someone in FA, they'll sign at a high price and won't bring what Hartnell to the table. Don't get it tbh.

Not really. The cap dump is only like 200,000 at most.

Has to be term. Hartnell is signed for like 6 more years

A little fact checking would help you. Hartnell has 5 more years while Umberger has 3, both at very similar cap hits and same age. Those extra two years are probably pretty bad, but still not that far apart to call it a cap win for the Flyers since Hartnell could just retire before then.

Takeaway personality, Overall for their career PPG totals are not that different. 0.56ppg for Hartnell vs 0.54ppg for Umberger. Umberger is also a bit bigger than Hartnell...its not that bad of trade.

exactly both have had injuries both get their 20 goals a year hartnell has the potential to score 30+ if hes heathly for a full year where umberger wont get passed mid 20s at best. hartnell is a much better playmaker.

Not really. The cap dump is only like 200,000 at most.

Holy smokes then. Idk why but I assumed Hartnell had a $5 mill cap hit and Umberger had around $3 mill. It isn't even $200k, the differential is less than that.

Oh well, great to know Philly management is still following the footsteps of Holmgren doing cracked out things.

Great deal for Columbus. They've really turned the page after the Nash trade.

they also really messed up the gaborik trades... they traded brassard , john moore, and dorsette for gaborik and then traded gaborik for matt frattin....CBJ is responsible for LAs cups haha carter for jack johnson....

Don't see why everyone are so quick to say that Columbus win this trade, I say it's pretty fair from both sides.

Hartnell is the best piece involved but has seen his overall play become worse, his physical health become worse and he is sitting on a 5 year deal at 33 years old. Hextall removed this future anchor of a contract for a player that is not that far away from Hartnells level and a significantly less salary cap restricting contract in the long-term. I like it from both teams perspectives.

I'm guessing this has something to do with Philly having used both of its compliance buyouts.

Another trade coming where they ship out a bad contract (Lecavalier) to a team willing to take one. This will give them some flexibility to get younger and faster.

Umberger isn't a Hartnell replacement, he's a Vinny replacement.

Don't see why everyone are so quick to say that Columbus win this trade, I say it's pretty fair from both sides.

Hartnell is the best piece involved but has seen his overall play become worse, his physical health become worse and he is sitting on a 5 year deal at 33 years old. Hextall removed this future anchor of a contract for a player that is not that far away from Hartnells level and a significantly less salary cap restricting contract in the long-term. I like it from both teams perspectives.

he just turned 32 years old in april.

Archived