The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Umberger traded to Philly for Hartnell

It would appear at first glance as though Hextall messed the bed on this one. But Hartnell has been on the wane for over 2 seasons. This is the same forum that wants Burrows traded after 1 off season but claims Philli lost this deal in a big way.

All i can see with Umberger coming back is a secondary move involving Lecavelier.

I would also like to point out that no Umberger takes care of any of the reasons Kesler would not want to go to Columbus.

Not as bad as a lot of people are making this out as. Hartnell's age and injuries are catching up to him and his contract is worse.

That said, he's definitely the better player so CBJ certainly could be bigger winners on this gamble if he can stay healthy. If.

people my look at this deal and say its terrible but here the facts:

1. scott hartnell had a bad and injury proned season

2. hes 33 years old and plays a power forward type of game that can only be sustained for so long

3. his contracts is around 4.75 for another 5 years

its pretty easy to see that hextall thought hartnell was a sinking ship and he wanted out of that contract. umbergers contract is 4.6 for 3 years.

Please explain how 52 points in 78 games is a bad and injury prone season?

It would appear at first glance as though Hextall messed the bed on this one. But Hartnell has been on the wane for over 2 seasons. This is the same forum that wants Burrows traded after 1 off season but claims Philli lost this deal in a big way.

All i can see with Umberger coming back is a secondary move involving Lecavelier.

I would also like to point out that no Umberger takes care of any of the reasons Kesler would not want to go to Columbus.

Burrows season wasn't even close to Hartnell's.

This is a bad trade. However I agree another deal is likely in the works.

You guys think Van. proposals are bad? Someone (Flyers fan) said this on Facebook

Look at the big picture guys. We got umberger because we are trading Schenn and Lecavalier for Weber. LOL

I actually really like the Flyers and Hartnell was on of the few I hated. Glad he's gone but goddamn get some value next time!

Kesler to CBJ?

Wonder how Philly fans feel? Hartnell was a fan favorite

Except Kesler hasn't indicated Columbus is a team he'll go to. They aren't moving Umberger to make space for anyone either, Umberger requested a deal.

Very surprised though that's all Philly got for Hartnell. Maybe if it was a 2nd round pick or better, but Hartnell's still producing more than Umberger. And Umberger can play multiple forward roles but Philly has plenty of centers so it makes little sense from that front as well.

The only thing that makes some sense is that Umberger has played in Philly before so they know what they're getting.

people my look at this deal and say its terrible but here the facts:

1. scott hartnell had a bad and injury proned season

2. hes 33 years old and plays a power forward type of game that can only be sustained for so long

3. his contracts is around 4.75 for another 5 years

its pretty easy to see that hextall thought hartnell was a sinking ship and he wanted out of that contract. umbergers contract is 4.6 for 3 years.

That is the only thing I could see. It was a long deal and pretty suspect when they signed Hartnell to it, but Umberger is 32 and has 3 more years on his contract at a very similar cap hit. They could have gotten a better deal than this for Hartnell I'd have to think.

As others have said, Hartnell putting up 50+ points isn't that bad a season. Don't forget the season Umberger's coming off of, playing through injury and dealing with even some healthy scratches yet only putting up 30+ points.

Archived