The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

With 4 goals and tied for 8th in team scoring? Considering Jake already hits everything in sight, it shouldn't be hard for him to surpass those lofty offensive totals and become a rich-man's Torres :)

Cam Ward won a Conn Smythe with 0 goals, 0 assists. Raffi was fantastic in that Oilers run, although I'd say he was probably their 3rd/4th best player overall.

Cam Ward won a Conn Smythe with 0 goals, 0 assists. Raffi was fantastic in that Oilers run, although I'd say he was probably their 3rd/4th best player overall.

I'm sure he played well - lots of players usually do if they get to the SCF - but there is 0% chance he was their "best player" with 4 goals and 8th in scoring. You can hit, back check, and play great D all you want but some offense is required to get into the conversation of "best player".

As Vinnie Barberino (aka John Travolta) used to say , I'm so confused ...

Is this an argument about whether Torres was the Oiler's best player at some time in 2006 and, if so, what is the importance of the point again?

• Upvote 1

Virt is still without a goal though, we have an aggressive, 6 foot, tenacious, rookie checker that plays the body in Kenins. Lets wait to see Virtanen make some miraculous offensive plays or pot a few wristers before we jump on the VirtJesus bandwagon. Everyone likes quoting Benning on his "earn your spot" attitude towards rookies, but from what i am seeing things are falling into place with Virtanen and he is getting EVERY opportunity served to him on a platter with a side of yam fries with truffle oil chipotle mayo dip. Especially after the weak playoff performance he had.

Virt is still without a goal though, we have an aggressive, 6 foot, tenacious, rookie checker that plays the body in Kenins. Lets wait to see Virtanen make some miraculous offensive plays or pot a few wristers before we jump on the VirtJesus bandwagon. Everyone likes quoting Benning on his "earn your spot" attitude towards rookies, but from what i am seeing things are falling into place with Virtanen and he is getting EVERY opportunity served to him on a platter with a side of yam fries with truffle oil chipotle mayo dip. Especially after the weak playoff performance he had.

High picks will always get longer looks / more attention. Makes sense as the team has more invested and expects a greater return. Makes no sense to compare Virts to Kenins considering the age/experience gap (favours Kenins) and the ceiling/potential gap (favours Virts). They will each make the team for different reasons.

That's a simplistic statement. It's like asking why Virtanen and McCann weren't immediately slotted into the lineup when they came to Utica, and of course they weren't because there were players in Utica's bottom six playing very important roles.

That's how Virtanen got his shot though, when there injuries in the bottom six and the Comets needed a winger who could forecheck, skate fast and play the body. That he took that opportunity and excelled at it (despite not contributing goals) is why he's been moving up from the bottom 6 to the top 6.

That's not getting the opportunity served to him, that's him making the most of a chance.

• Upvote 4

That's a simplistic statement. It's like asking why Virtanen and McCann weren't immediately slotted into the lineup when they came to Utica, and of course they weren't because there were players in Utica's bottom six playing very important roles.

That's how Virtanen got his shot though, when there injuries in the bottom six and the Comets needed a winger who could forecheck, skate fast and play the body. That he took that opportunity and excelled at it (despite not contributing goals) is why he's been moving up from the bottom 6 to the top 6.

That's not getting the opportunity served to him, that's him making the most of a chance

after considering your counter statement and pondering your viewpoint, i agree, you are correct.

Your avatar is offensive. (And yes, this is coming from somebody with MY avatar.)

Edited by BanTSN