The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Basically, the concern about Horvat is now eliminated, so now we have to be concerned about Virtanen. Personally, I see no cause for concern. Virtanen is going to be a special player.

Concern about horvat? We were worried his 74 pts in 54gms would translate to above a 3rd liner.

Now virtanen with 52 pts in 50 gms.

The concern is not even comparable. Bo was a playoff stud and defensively responsible. If jake doesn't turn around in the whl next year with 1.5ppg then I can't see him as anything more than a 3rd liner like kreider. You need to put up more points in the whl to put up points in the nhl. Not stat watching... just basic math

• Upvote 1

Concern about horvat? We were worried his 74 pts in 54gms would translate to above a 3rd liner.

The concern is not even comparable. Bo was a playoff stud and defensively responsible. If jake doesn't turn around in the whl next year with 1.5ppg then I can't see him as anything more than a 3rd liner like kreider. You need to put up more points in the whl to put up points in the nhl. Not stat watching... just basic math

If only hockey were as simple as basic math, we'd all be all stars.

If only hockey were as simple as basic math, we'd all be all stars.

Okay how about playing the odds. It is a HIGH percent chance that a ppg player in juniors won't be on the 1/2 lines in the nhl. Look at gaunce and jensen. Both players were ppg and didn't get any better from their draft years. Jensen looks like a bust and hopefully gaunce can be a great 4th liner with 3rd line spot duty with injuries.

• Upvote 1

Okay how about playing the odds. It is a HIGH percent chance that a ppg player in juniors won't be on the 1/2 lines in the nhl. Look at gaunce and jensen. Both players were ppg and didn't get any better from their draft years. Jensen looks like a bust and hopefully gaunce can be a great 4th liner with 3rd line spot duty with injuries.

Neither of them was the 6th overall pick.

Guest Dasein

Unfortunately that doesn't actually work. WHL plays 72 games per season for 22 teams. The OHL has 20 teams playing a 68 game schedule.

For the WHL: 5246 goals is divided by 1584 games (72x22)

giving a goals per game of: 3.31

For the OHL: 4766 goals is divided by 1360 (68x 20)

giving a goals per game of: 3.50

The OHL plays 224 fewer games but puts up a higher avg of goals per game.

Danke Ossi ;)

Also didn't touch on that Horvat had a better team either (or their different usage, TOI etc).

In short, doing a direct stats only comparison is not going to give you anything resembling a clear picture.

Virtanen's merely having a good, not great year. I see little cause for concern at this point.

Wow a league that scores 0.19 goals more per team

Amazing

• Upvote 1

Kris Kreider is a 3rd liner?

Huh, no wonder you're disappointed in Jake, you clearly have inflated expectations for every single player in the NHL. What's a 1st liner? 130 points Selke winner?

And no, junior PPG isn't a straightforward progression from junior to NHL. If it was then Derek Brassard would be an NHL superstar and Andrew Ladd would be a 4th liner. Players grow and change their games from junior to pro. You have no idea how Jake's game will translate once he makes that jump though you clearly believe you do.

Premature how?

It's not like I'm not calling him a bust

He has all the ingredients but hasn't shown it in his draft+1 year. Can he bounce back? Yes, he's still only 18. Has this season been a disappointment? Yes, and that is what my concern is based upon

Just calling it like it is

can't have it that way on cdc. Its 100% positive or 100% negative. I've been fighting that battle all year in this thread. Edited by Gooseberries

Kris Kreider is a 3rd liner?

Huh, no wonder you're disappointed in Jake, you clearly have inflated expectations for every single player in the NHL. What's a 1st liner? 130 points Selke winner?

And no, junior PPG isn't a straightforward progression from junior to NHL. If it was then Derek Brassard would be an NHL superstar and Andrew Ladd would be a 4th liner. Players grow and change their games from junior to pro. You have no idea how Jake's game will translate once he makes that jump though you clearly believe you do.

Getzlaf... J. Staal...

Never mind all the countless over ppg junior players who bust...