The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

LOL I think you need a reminder.. Jake did not impress in that tournament

He made the team and played a minor role, but that's about it. Never stepped up and rose above the expectations like some of the power forwards who made it as a 4th line winger before like Evander Kane

He had an okay tournament (didn't impress but didn't stink it up either) and an okay season as well. Looks like he's doing better in the playoffs as of late so this current stretch of hockey might be the bright spot for him this year

i was there. Like in Toronto. Jake was great. One of the youngest players on the team always a threat. He was a physical presence every single game. When he wasnt scoring he was putting fear into every other player not in red and white. I guess its all what you define as "impress". I cam tell you that he was the best forward outside of the top 6. Way better than crouse Whos projected to go top 10.

He just needed to use his linemates more and clean up a vouple turnovers and he would have been trusted more by his coach.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

LOL I think you need a reminder.. Jake did not impress in that tournament

He made the team and played a minor role, but that's about it. Never stepped up and rose above the expectations like some of the power forwards who made it as a 4th line winger before like Evander Kane

He had an okay tournament (didn't impress but didn't stink it up either) and an okay season as well. Looks like he's doing better in the playoffs as of late so this current stretch of hockey might be the bright spot for him this year

LOL Another armchair scout who thinks he should be Delorme's boss. Opinions are like assholes.

• Upvote 1

and you have more than one?

That might be the single dumbest rebuttal I've ever read.

If you don't like getting called out for making silly assertions about how 18 year old power forwards play in the WJCs, maybe you shouldn't write such garbage.

Edited by SamJamIam
  • Upvote 1

I don't think anybody is labeling Jake a bust. What's happening here is that Jake is a 6th overall pick that is supposed to score a bunch of goals because he's supposed to be a goal scorer.

Did I watch any of Jake's games? Yes. Plenty i fact in both the regular season and playoffs.

Was I impressed? Only at times. But his season as a whole? It's been disappointing.

Does this mean Jake is a bust and I don't support him? Of course not. I support Jake as much as the rest of you but I'm also aware of the fact that a prospect who is supposed to put up lots of points is supposed to do exactly that. Jake simply isn't putting points up on the board and like I said, I've actually seen him play live multiple times throughout the season.

I don't know why cause for concern is such a surprise to some of you people. Jake is in his post draft year and his PPG hasn't improved and he's still playing in the same role as he did last year.

Honestly, I can see Jake like Ladd or Getzlaf who will put up big points in the big leagues, but being concerned for Jake isn't crazy at all. If we had Ladd or Getz and they performed like crap, I'd be concerned too. But we all know they turned out well. We can only hope with Jake. It's not like every junior that doesn't put up big points will become like a Ladd or Getzlaf. Point is that we don't know and that's why we're concerned.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anybody is labeling Jake a bust. What's happening here is that Jake is a 6th overall pick that is supposed to score a bunch of goals because he's supposed to be a goal scorer.

Did I watch any of Jake's games? Yes. Plenty i fact in both the regular season and playoffs.

Was I impressed? Only at times. But his season as a whole? It's been disappointing.

Does this mean Jake is a bust and I don't support him? Of course not. I support Jake as much as the rest of you but I'm also aware of the fact that a prospect who is supposed to put up lots of points is supposed to do exactly that. Jake simply isn't putting points up on the board and like I said, I've actually seen him play live multiple times throughout the season.

I don't know why cause for concern is such a surprise to some of you people. Jake is in his post draft year and his PPG hasn't improved and he's still playing in the same role as he did last year.

Honestly, I can see Jake like Ladd or Getzlaf who will put up big points in the big leagues, but being concerned for Jake isn't crazy at all. If we had Ladd or Getz and they performed like crap, I'd be concerned too. But we all know they turned out well. We can only hope with Jake. It's not like every junior that doesn't put up big points will become like a Ladd or Getzlaf. Point is that we don't know and that's why we're concerned.

Actually thats what several people were doing. HF is even worse, they are a bunch of mouth breathing troglodytes over there. Then Jake has a big game and they take their lithium and change their minds about him.

Actually thats what several people were doing. HF is even worse, they are a bunch of mouth breathing troglodytes over there. Then Jake has a big game and they take their lithium and change their minds about him.

find me 2 different users on cdc who has labelled Virtanen a bust. Otherwise zip it.
  • Upvote 1

Really? Like who?

Not to mention, how classy of you to make fun of the mental ill. It's people like you that give people with Bipolar Disorder a bad stigma. Grow up buddy.

• Upvote 1

That might be the single dumbest rebuttal I've ever read.

If you don't like getting called out for making silly assertions about how 18 year old power forwards play in the WJCs, maybe you shouldn't write such garbage.

tumblr_nmug0ytWaC1szdb1do4_1280_1.jpg?t=great logo!! no sign of moby dick

• Upvote 2

Nice WJC highlight pack.

I just remember thinking that he started the tourney playing down the lineup then was used more prominently as the tourney went on.

I thought that he was being coached (hopefully) to play a passive game by not being involved in board battles by being the third guy high waiting for loose pucks or outlet passes.

I also saw a lot of plays dying on his stick. Simply powering down the wing then shooting from the side boards or trying a wrap around every time you go behind the net isn't going to cut it in the NHL. Many times he had players open in much better scoring positions but decided to shoot or try the wrap around instead and most times that led to the end of the play.

What I didn't see a lot of in that tourney was him battling in front of that net using his size to his advantage to create havoc. It seems that most times he would simply do a fly by of the net after trying to make a play rather than crashing the net. Again, I haven't seen him enough to know whether this is his typical game or whether it was coached into him for this tournament to keep him up high so he could chase down any pucks turned over the other way.

Either way, his size, speed and talent will get him into the NHL, and NHL coaching should take care of the rest. As long as he's willing to learn and work his tail off to adjust his game, I'm not worried at all about an 18 year old Jake.

Guest Dasein

find me 2 different users on cdc who has labelled Virtanen a bust. Otherwise zip it.

Seriously.. you voice some concern about a prospect and all of a sudden that means you labelled him a bust apparently. Only unwavering positivity means that you think he isn't a bust around here

• Upvote 2

Really? Like who?

Not to mention, how classy of you to make fun of the mental ill. It's people like you that give people with Bipolar Disorder a bad stigma. Grow up buddy.

Exactly. Amen.

As a big supporter of Virtanen and how happy I was when the Canucks picked him at 6th overall, I was starting to get critical of his lack of production in the playoffs. Virtanen had been playing undisciplined hockey with untimely penalties. However, I have been fully aware that having shoulder surgery had a created a dominoes effect on his overall season performance. I give Virtanen credit for having a much better game and I get accused of being "back on the bandwagon". Very classy.

Bottom line is this: people are entitled to their opinions and viewpoints. Just because one disagrees with another, one doesn't need to use condescending and trolling behavior.

Are you concerned? Pretty sure you're concerned. Not sure why you're concerned. Don't be concerned.

I'm with you suitup. It's not unreasonable to have certain expectation for a 6th O/A pick. He was noted ( based on his stats for his draft year ) as a goalscorer and has certainly not kept that stat going this season. Maybe he's being put in a different role this year, I have no idea. But is their reason for concern, definitely

• Upvote 2

here's quite late game 3 vs MH Tigers

i thought he had a pretty good game despite no shiny numbers
showed his typical lots of speed
had quite a few breakaway but with no cigars
was really physical. couple of his calls @ 8:25 and 12:15 were i thought was weak
but didnt stopped him from being physical later on
Something to look later on is his FO....i thought he was excellent in this game
i wished he was more creative in the powerplay...felt he was too stationary looking for that one timer or osmething
Edited by ihaveyuidonttouchme