The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'm very curious what Benning has to be thinking. I'm still happy about taking a local power forward, even at sixth overall.

However, when you look at the monster performance that Nick Richie is showing with S.S. Marie compared to Virtanen's "Kyle Beach" performance in the WHL playoffs, you really have to wonder.

I like Virtanen and I just hope Benning and Linden get to the bottom of Virtanen's problematic season.

Have you ever had major shoulder surgery? Let me guess your one of the guys calling Shinkaruk a bust 3 months into his season also. Sometimes I wonder how long some of you guys have been following hockey. Jake has things to work on no doubt, mainly consistency, but he hasn't had a Kyle beach season... He played well in the WJC and he has been the Hitmens best player in several of their playoffs games.

I take it that you haven't read my support towards Shinkaruk in the Hunter Shinkaruk thread this season, eh? :picard:

Virtanen's shoulder injury has played a huge role in his drop in offensive consistency, I totally agree. However, the rust from being off the ice is no longer an excuse. He had a nice stretch in late January, which included his last multi-goal game vs the woeful Giants, had a nice run in late February but has had a lousy month of March. For a guy who has the skill set that he does, Virtanen has just 3 goals in his last 19 games. That includes the regular season and the playoffs. That's not good nor acceptable for a goalscoring power forward in junior hockey. Getting assists is a nice bonus and so is putting opponents over the boards and into the team benches. It could be possible that his shoulder might still be bothering him or he may have an undisclosed injury that may be hampering his deadly shot that usually results in turning the red light on.

Hopefully, we will know more about Virtanen's situation after the Hitmen's season is over and done with.

Sigh... No, he won't need much time in Utica at all, if any. One thing easily noticable is that the guy never falls down. Amazing balance for a young player with that much speed.

Likely the same reason he's so fast for a big man. Guys got to have legs damn near like tree trunks. Probably very strong core too. Just imagine when he matures and gets "man-strength".

He's a lot better off playing, and for now that is in Calgary. He won't play every game in Utica, it will be hard for him to even draw into the lineup.

So your telling me the 6th overall pick and prize possession of JB wouldn't play for Utica in the playoffs?? I find that hard to believe....

I take it that you haven't read my support towards Shinkaruk in the Hunter Shinkaruk thread this season, eh? :picard:

Virtanen's shoulder injury has played a huge role in his drop in offensive consistency, I totally agree. However, the rust from being off the ice is no longer an excuse. He had a nice stretch in late January, which included his last multi-goal game vs the woeful Giants, had a nice run in late February but has had a lousy month of March. For a guy who has the skill set that he does, Virtanen has just 3 goals in his last 19 games. That includes the regular season and the playoffs. That's not good nor acceptable for a goalscoring power forward in junior hockey. Getting assists is a nice bonus and so is putting opponents over the boards and into the team benches. It could be possible that his shoulder might still be bothering him or he may have an undisclosed injury that may be hampering his deadly shot that usually results in turning the red light on.

Hopefully, we will know more about Virtanen's situation after the Hitmen's season is over and done with.

He is getting tons of shots, been robbed multiple times, and has hit some posts in the post season. Hes getting chances. Hes pretty much a point a game and a physical force. He could be injured since he played hurt last season, but in playoffs most players have injuries.

Virtanen's face after reading this post:

virtanen.jpg

Feelings hurt too easily by mere questioning stats. Bust.

• Upvote 4

He is getting tons of shots, been robbed multiple times, and has hit some posts in the post season. Hes getting chances. Hes pretty much a point a game and a physical force. He could be injured since he played hurt last season, but in playoffs most players have injuries.

Last game I watched against the Ice Virtanen was firing rockets. He has a NHL slapper. He could have had a couple of goals in that game.

I have no basis for suggesting a problem with the team/coaching but I wonder. When Virtanen's line has a great shift and the camera pans the line sitting on the bench with no talk I wonder.

Last game I watched against the Ice Virtanen was firing rockets. He has a NHL slapper. He could have had a couple of goals in that game.

I have no basis for suggesting a problem with the team/coaching but I wonder. When Virtanen's line has a great shift and the camera pans the line sitting on the bench with no talk I wonder.

Laughs, I think its time for another gif.

But what about his facial expressions. :bigblush:

Virtanen is playing better than he was on his February/March cold streaks, but his coach bounces him from line-to-line waaay to much for my liking. All this does is ensure he fails to develop chemistry with linemates and adds to the frustration you can see in his game.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen is playing better than he was on his February/March cold streaks, but his coach bounces him from line-to-line waaay to much for my liking. All this does is ensure he fails to develop chemistry with linemates and adds to the frustration you can see in his game.

but can you see it on his face or in his body language?

seriously though, i agree. The coach should probably know what lines work by now, he had an entire freaking season plus a first round of playoff to figure this crap out already.

I like how Ritchie only puts up points cause he's on the best team in the league but McCann putting up tonnes of points is just because he's awesome, not because he's on the best team in the league

Welcome to CDC.

• Upvote 1

Lol this thread is starting to sound like the Horvat thread last year after the Memorial cup and WJC. Whaa guy cant score,whaa whats wrong with him, whaa should have picked somebody else..friggin laughable.

QFT

All those kids and with their Nichushkin boners seem to have magically disappeared.

Patience, some people have it some people don't.

• Upvote 1