The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Because players don't make the NHL all the time.

So you don't care when our draft picks end up as busts? Hasn't everyone constantly been complaining about the canucks draft history? Didn't think there were fans who were so ho hum about failed draft picks and don't care or expect better.

Edited by FireGillis

We won't be in the next two years in my opinion. Maybe after that when the Sedins retire we're really that bad that we're back in the top 10 for picks perhaps, but then that'd mean there's a gap while we draft that replacement for the Sedins skill and wait for them to develop. Seems like a backwards way of thinking, especially if you're suggesting we'll be back to having that high a pick yet still think drafting character/physical/hard working guys with our recent high picks like Horvat, Virtanen, etc. was the right choice for us to continue to be successful.

And that's a large assumption to think Benning sees Nylander and Ehlers in the same light as you and only one-dimensional skill that wasn't even that good. Another possibility is he wanted the home town boy, or that he preferred the overall style and less risk of Virtanen versus wanting to go for a higher upside.

Maybe the plan is to not select Sedin replacements, but instead to select improvements on the Sedins. Meaning guys who are better playoff performers. And considering Nylander's and Ehlers no-show efforts in big games thus far...

Anyway, I'm certainly glad Benning passed on these guys, regardless of how they turn out for their respective teams. If Virtanen fell to either team, they'd be drooling all over the power and speed aspect to his game while we would be pumped about power play points scored in meaningless and easy games while defending diving and falling antics.

Meanwhile, what of Ritchie? Are we totally ignoring his decent OHL playoff? OMG Ritchie!

I think there will be other players besides Nylander and Ehlers in the future. I wish them well, but frack I am sick to death of you guys bringing them up.

How was ehlers a no show in big games thus far? He had 31pts in 14 playoff games this season...

Looks a hell of alot better than jakes 13 in 14.

Not to mention Ehler's PPG actually went up by a bit in the playoffs.

Jake's PPG on the other hand has gone down during the playoffs.

I don't really get where this Virtanen is better playoff performer is coming from.

• Upvote 3

Not to mention Ehler's PPG actually went up by a bit in the playoffs.

Jake's PPG on the other hand has gone down during the playoffs.

I don't really get where this Virtanen is better playoff performer is coming from.

Be prepared to hear some turbo BS.

"Ehlers is soft..."

"Jake plays physical..."

"Jake had shoulder surgery like a year ago..."

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 2

Sooo about Jake...

How do you think he will rebound after having a healthy off season?

He will prob get a good look in training camp, but dont think the Canucks will keep him for a 4th line role when he can play 18-20 mins a game in the WHL.

It would be nice to see him get 50+ goals (90 points) in the WHL, then come into the AHL playoffs with a tonne of swagger and confidence.

What does CDC think?

Be prepared to hear some turbo BS.

"Ehlers is soft..."

"Jake plays physical..."

"Jake had shoulder surgery like a year ago..."

No BS needed. Enough has already been said in the full calendar year since the 2014 draft. Maybe you guys can just cheer for your boys on their boards or something.

No BS needed. Enough has already been said in the full calendar year since the 2014 draft. Maybe you guys can just cheer for your boys on their boards or something.

hey i never said anything about wanting ehlers or nylander. But its pretty obvious your spewing crap from your mouth when you say that jake is a better big game player after ehlers led the q in playoff scoring.
  • Upvote 2

hey i never said anything about wanting ehlers or nylander. But its pretty obvious your spewing crap from your mouth when you say that jake is a better big game player after ehlers led the q in playoff scoring.

Leading the Q in playoff scoring doesn't mean much if he doesn't advance past round two, does it? It makes the Q look like a joke. In his elimination game he was pointless and said he was tired. But aside from that, how about the 1 goal scored by him all WJC despite getting 30mins a game in an offense-only role?

Anyway, there are other ways to make an impact on games besides empty points in losing efforts. And as for the 'franchise' capability of either other player, i'm just not buying it. There are just so many unlikeable aspect to their game and I'm sure we'll do better in drafts down the road. Even if we have to wait for a Sedin retirement.

• Upvote 1

Leading the Q in playoff scoring doesn't mean much if he doesn't advance past round two, does it? It makes the Q look like a joke. In his elimination game he was pointless and said he was tired. But aside from that, how about the 1 goal scored by him all WJC despite getting 30mins a game in an offense-only role?

Anyway, there are other ways to make an impact on games besides empty points in losing efforts. And as for the 'franchise' capability of either other player, i'm just not buying it. There are just so many unlikeable aspect to their game and I'm sure we'll do better in drafts down the road. Even if we have to wait for a Sedin retirement.

yeah thats like saying sbisa had a better playoffs than tyler johnson...
  • Upvote 3

He will prob get a good look in training camp, but dont think the Canucks will keep him for a 4th line role when he can play 18-20 mins a game in the WHL.

There are certainly arguments for Virtanen to go back to Jr. next season but this is a poor one IMO.

Is "coasting" at 85% for 20 minutes a night while physically dominating boys really more beneficial to his development than learning to play at 100% 8-10 minutes a night against more skilled men with better quality coaching, competition and team mates?

I don't think so.

There's plenty of arguments to make as to why he may not be ready to play at this level. 20 minutes of un-challenging, motivation sucking ice time isn't one of them IMO.

Edited by J.R.

You said this, not me.

i did say this using your twisted logic though.

See Tyler Johnson didnt get asingle point in his elimination game. Just like ehlers.

All the while sbisa had a goal for us in our last against Calgary.

So is sbisa a better big game player?

i did say this using your twisted logic though.

See Tyler Johnson didnt get asingle point in his elimination game. Just like ehlers.

All the while sbisa had a goal for us in our last against Calgary.

So is sbisa a better big game player?

No you didn't. You're just making some lame point about toughness over skill. Let it be known though that Virtanen has skill. I do wish more people would notice.

No you didn't. You're just making some lame point about toughness over skill. Let it be known though that Virtanen has skill. I do wish more people would notice.

we're getting off track. this all goes back to you claiming that ehlers doesn't show up in big games while virtanen does. shall we start over?

you definitely implied it. Or why else bring it up in your argument?

I said maybe the plan was to not merely replace the Sedins, but to improve on them, in regards to playoff performance. Jake would be part of that plan, but not the whole. This is why i'm not too hung up about passing on the pseudo 'franchise' talent that Ehlers and Nylander represent. It seems that Benning agrees. If he changes his mind about that, well, then I won't be surprised. It's the Canucks.