The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Johnny Gaudreau was fine in the playoffs.

Against us, but merely hitting him got Burrows tossed. Against the Ducks he was a non-factor until the Ducks pretty much let Calgary win a game. I know this is an extreme, but if you take a team full of Gaudreau's and put them against a team full of Virtanen's, it will be a bloodbath unless it's an all-star game.

However, I am not ever going to be a fan of Johnny Fraudreau, and Virtanen's my boy, so it is what it is. Right now Calgary has temporarily surpassed this team.

• Upvote 1

Against us, but merely hitting him got Burrows tossed. Against the Ducks he was a non-factor until the Ducks pretty much let Calgary win a game. I know this is an extreme, but if you take a team full of Gaudreau's and put them against a team full of Virtanen's, it will be a bloodbath unless it's an all-star game.

However, I am not ever going to be a fan of Johnny Fraudreau, and Virtanen's my boy, so it is what it is. Right now Calgary has temporarily surpassed this team.

Do you like Dustin Brown instead of Patrick Kane As well?

I'm sorry. I should've been more clear in my analogy.

I'm not saying Jake Virtanen is already like dumping money into Enron. I'm just saying that after this season's production, it FEELS like we've invested into Enron. I know we haven't and I'm sure nobody (sensible) does either. Let's be honest, Jake's offensive output this season has been a disappointment and comparing their offensive output (with Nylander/Ehlers) is like watching the value of our 6th overall pick go down. Hence the comparison to Enron.

No problem man! :)

Another thing I want to bring up would be when SOME, not all, but some people on here accuse Nylander/Ehlers fans of not being "real" Canuck fans because we criticize Jake or whatever.

Just to be clear, I don't think those who do that are hating on Jake but rather they simply want the best for the Canucks. If these fans didn't care about the Canucks, they wouldn't care if the Canucks drafted someone like Kyle Pettit with our 6th overall pick? No offense to Kyle Pettit, but he's obviously not first round material, let alone a top 10 pick.

To put that in perspective, would you "real" fans care if L.A., SJS, or even Boston had a 6th overall pick but then drafted Kyle Pettit with their first round pick?

Now obviously that's a hyperbole, we know Jake Virtanen isn't Kyle Pettit, but the Nylander vs Virtanen issue has always been about knowing/thinking that we could've drafted someone better.

I hope this clears things up.

If we had drafted a complete dud you would be onto something.

But there's no indication that's what has happened, and all the players you talk about are still way to young to be certain in your assessment. Let's see what happens when they are 25.

In the meantime if you are a fan of the team then perhaps consider supporting instead of belittling the current players for the team. At least pull your punches for the teenagers a little bit?

It's not really love if you are always questioning decisions and belittling the choices afterwards. That's just an abusive relationship.

But there's no indication that's what has happened, and all the players you talk about are still way to young to be certain in your assessment. Let's see what happens when they are 25.

In the meantime if you are a fan of the team then perhaps consider supporting instead of belittling the current players for the team. At least pull your punches for the teenagers a little bit?

It's not really love if you are always questioning decisions and belittling the choices afterwards. That's just an abusive relationship.

25 lol? We dont want that long. Kassian was traded at 24. From here on out prospects have till that age to figure it out or they're out of here for nothing. Thats what happened with kass so i expect the same treatment with every player now.
  • Upvote 1

Cmon man, Kassians skill wasn't in question when he was shipped, it was his work ethic, consistency and locker room presence. Stop reaching for these little jabs at Benning, or atleast understand the bigger picture first.

I'll continue to show my displeasure with bennings moves. A young player should have the same opertunity to mature as he does to develop. I'll continue to believe that giving up on kassian is similar to when Boston gave up on Seguin (on a smaller scale obviously I don't think he's going to tally 80 next season lol)

Sorry for sidetracking

I REALLY don't think you understand what I've said. Never have I ever implied Virtanen is a bust nor have I ever thought Virtanen is a bad player.

Look, first of all, I think it's fair to say that Virtanen's lack of production is alarming this year since he was drafted to be a top six goal scoring winger. Wouldn't you say so yourself? On the other hand, we have a player like Nylander for example, who was the forward drafted right after Jake and he had a comparable PPG with Jake not in the CHL, but in the SHL AND the AHL. Isn't that ridiculous?

I like Virtanen and I don't know what he's going to be in the future, but obviously I he'll be who we hope he'll become.

In the end yes, I do cheer for the team and want the best for the team. But I also believe that part of that is having the best players on the team, and I think it's fair to say that Nylander had a much better season than Virtanen did himself.

Why is it so bad that I would rather have Nylander over Virtanen?

Why am I a poor fan for showing concern?

I hope you don't think I'm a fairweather fan that criticizes every single thing and talk only in absolutes because that would mean you're misinterpreting the things I'm trying to get across.

Edited by suitup
  • Upvote 1

I REALLY don't think you understand what I've said. Never have I ever implied Virtanen is a bust nor have I ever thought Virtanen is a bad player.

Look, first of all, I think it's fair to say that Virtanen's lack of production is alarming this year since he was drafted to be a top six goal scoring winger. Wouldn't you say so yourself? On the other hand, we have a player like Nylander for example, who was the forward drafted right after Jake and he had a comparable PPG with Jake not in the CHL, but in the SHL AND the AHL. Isn't that ridiculous?

I like Virtanen and I don't know what he's going to be in the future, but obviously I he'll be who we hope he'll become.

In the end yes, I do cheer for the team and want the best for the team. But I also believe that part of that is having the best players on the team, and I think it's fair to say that Nylander had a much better season than Virtanen did himself.

Why is it so bad that I would rather have Nylander over Virtanen?

Why am I a poor fan for showing concern?

I hope you don't think I'm a fairweather fan that criticizes every single thing and talk only in absolutes because that would mean you're misinterpreting the things I'm trying to get across.

I know this is addressed to another poster but I thought I'd echo your sentiment that "liking" or "not liking" a Canuck pick has no bearing on whether you are a "true" Canuck fan or not. Being a fan does not mean having to like or agree with every move a team makes.

And this is coming from someone who wanted Jake at 6th and still believes he will be an excellent NHLer.

I know this is addressed to another poster but I thought I'd echo your sentiment that "liking" or "not liking" a Canuck pick has no bearing on whether you are a "true" Canuck fan or not. Being a fan does not mean having to like or agree with every move a team makes.

And this is coming from someone who wanted Jake at 6th and still believes he will be an excellent NHLer.

Thank you Uselessstats.

I'll continue to show my displeasure with bennings moves. A young player should have the same opertunity to mature as he does to develop. I'll continue to believe that giving up on kassian is similar to when Boston gave up on Seguin (on a smaller scale obviously I don't think he's going to tally 80 next season lol)

Sorry for sidetracking

So we gave up on Hodgson, who has since been bought out and Kassian, who has been through multiple teams, coaches, GMs etc. Sometimes the player has to own some of the 'quit'.

Kass did nothing to keep his spot with this team.

25 lol? We dont want that long. Kassian was traded at 24. From here on out prospects have till that age to figure it out or they're out of here for nothing. Thats what happened with kass so i expect the same treatment with every player now.

We are also talking about a guy with 4 NHL seasons under his belt at 24.

• Upvote 1

The Kassian crybabies always have to drag his name into every thread around here. Get a towel and go sob elsewhere.

• Upvote 1