The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Leading the Q in playoff scoring doesn't mean much if he doesn't advance past round two, does it? It makes the Q look like a joke. In his elimination game he was pointless and said he was tired. But aside from that, how about the 1 goal scored by him all WJC despite getting 30mins a game in an offense-only role?

Anyway, there are other ways to make an impact on games besides empty points in losing efforts. And as for the 'franchise' capability of either other player, i'm just not buying it. There are just so many unlikeable aspect to their game and I'm sure we'll do better in drafts down the road. Even if we have to wait for a Sedin retirement.

Too much is made of this at this point. None have flopped & none have become franchise players at this point. Plus there is merit to you pointing out there are holes in the game of each.

I personally would have picked Nylander.

Not that I am right. Nor is Jake, which I have never claimed, a bad pick. The AHL playoffs are a good example. Jake at 18 was capable of coming in & imposing himself on the game physically. He had the speed and strength to overwhelm pro's. Quite easily in fact, and still has his skill to bring to the table. There will be a solid role available for Virtanen who is a superb athlete.

This thread is ridiculous.

Why isn't there an Ehlers / Nylander thread where goose and friends can go congregate.

Leave us Virtanen lovers be.

270 pages of the same arguments

IMHO If you can't get on board with a HOME TOWN KID drafted by YOUR TEAM in the first round there's something wrong with you as a fan.

Despite who you thought was the best pick at 6 is it really necessary to bash the guy 1 year after the fact?

Edited by Seven pounds soft
  • Upvote 4

This thread is ridiculous.

Why isn't there an Ehlers / Nylander thread where goose and friends can go congregate.

Leave us Virtanen lovers be.

270 pages of the same arguments

IMHO If you can't get on board with a HOME TOWN KID drafted by YOUR TEAM in the first round there's something wrong with you as a fan.

Despite who you thought was the best pick at 6 is it really necessary to bash the guy 1 year after the fact?

Nobody is bashing Virtanen. People are discussing the selection. Even the most die-hard Ehlers/Nylander fans aren't mad at Virtanen, if anything they are upset with Benning for making the pick. And this type of discussion is kind of the point of these forums...

The pro-Virtanen crowd brings up Nylander and Ehlers as much if not more than the anti-Virtanen crowd (and of course there's a lot of people in the grey area between those two poles) anyway, why don't you just ignore it when people bring it up if you're offended.

The pro-Virtanen crowd brings up Nylander and Ehlers as much if not more than the anti-Virtanen crowd (and of course there's a lot of people in the grey area between those two poles) anyway, why don't you just ignore it when people bring it up if you're offended.

This post is redundant.

I just find it super annoying when I visit my favorite prospects thread to find out news about him and it's the same old arguments about who we should have drafted and who's better. Can't we just be happy for Jake and support him?

You guys are right though and I usually do ignore the BS but it just got to me this time.

• Upvote 1

Ehlers and Nylander are probably discussed more than Virtanen in a Virtanen thread. Been in Vancouver my whole life and haven't seen this level of negativity; how come all the optimism and patience suddenly disappear when you get onto a Canucks forum?

Because people get to say how they really feel without people seeing or knowing who they are.

I think what's sad is that Nylander's PPG in the AHL and SHL combined this year is almost the same as Jake's PPG in the WHL this year.

The whole Nylander/Ehlers vs Virtanen argument isn't "I hate Virtanen because he sukzzz ballzz. Nylanderz and Ehlerz RuLezzz!"

It's like winning $10K which is nice, but knowing that if only you had answered that ONE trivia question correctly, you could've hit $100K instead.

We're not bummed out by the 10k but we're bummed out knowing we could've had 100K.

Seeing Nylander and Ehlers have the season they did is like watching the dude that won the 100k invest in Apple while you dumped your 10k into Enron.

I think what's sad is that Nylander's PPG in the AHL and SHL combined this year is almost the same as Jake's PPG in the WHL this year.

The whole Nylander/Ehlers vs Virtanen argument isn't "I hate Virtanen because he sukzzz ballzz. Nylanderz and Ehlerz RuLezzz!"

It's like winning $10K which is nice, but knowing that if only you had answered that ONE trivia question correctly, you could've hit $100K instead.

We're not bummed out by the 10k but we're bummed out knowing we could've had 100K.

Seeing Nylander and Ehlers have the season they did is like watching the dude that won the 100k invest in Apple while you dumped your 10k into Enron.

Except you don't even know you've won yet. With that level of hindsight, why don't you also include not drafting Benn, Karlsson...etc?

you know ive been trying to relay this for a while now but have had troubles conveying my feelings into words. You hit he nail on the head with this one. Thank you

Played yourself.

Played yourself.

Except you don't even know you've won yet. With that level of hindsight, why don't you also include not drafting Benn, Karlsson...etc?

I'm sorry. I should've been more clear in my analogy.

I'm not saying Jake Virtanen is already like dumping money into Enron. I'm just saying that after this season's production, it FEELS like we've invested into Enron. I know we haven't and I'm sure nobody (sensible) does either. Let's be honest, Jake's offensive output this season has been a disappointment and comparing their offensive output (with Nylander/Ehlers) is like watching the value of our 6th overall pick go down. Hence the comparison to Enron.

you know ive been trying to relay this for a while now but have had troubles conveying my feelings into words. You hit he nail on the head with this one. Thank you

No problem man! :)

Another thing I want to bring up would be when SOME, not all, but some people on here accuse Nylander/Ehlers fans of not being "real" Canuck fans because we criticize Jake or whatever.

Just to be clear, I don't think those who do that are hating on Jake but rather they simply want the best for the Canucks. If these fans didn't care about the Canucks, they wouldn't care if the Canucks drafted someone like Kyle Pettit with our 6th overall pick? No offense to Kyle Pettit, but he's obviously not first round material, let alone a top 10 pick.

To put that in perspective, would you "real" fans care if L.A., SJS, or even Boston had a 6th overall pick but then drafted Kyle Pettit with their first round pick?

Now obviously that's a hyperbole, we know Jake Virtanen isn't Kyle Pettit, but the Nylander vs Virtanen issue has always been about knowing/thinking that we could've drafted someone better.

I hope this clears things up.

It's all starting to make sense now. Your an ehlers apologist.

Or he's just a Canucks fan? Instead of calling him an Ehlers apologist, why don't you reply what he said?

If Jake was that much of a playoff performer, then where are his playoff totals?