The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

"Here we go again..."

panic

can't question virtanen man. The guy can do no wrong. I've fought this battle and lost every time. Best just sit back and see what happens. Hopefully we don't get an opertunity to use our told you so cards.

Alright, well my apologies then. The main point of my post is just that it might not be so bad for Virtanen to go back to juniors that's all.

Especially when we've got Grenier, Cassels, and Friesen who can possibly fill his spot so we don't have to put so much pressure on him.

Alright, well my apologies then. The main point of my post is just that it might not be so bad for Virtanen to go back to juniors that's all.

Especially when we've got Grenier, Cassels, and Friesen who can possibly fill his spot so we don't have to put so much pressure on him.

When I talked to him he didn't seem so sure he was going to make the team but I guess he just doesn't want to be over confident. I think he will make the team though there's no point in him killing some kid cause he is too strong to play junior.

When I talked to him he didn't seem so sure he was going to make the team but I guess he just doesn't want to be over confident. I think he will make the team though there's no point in him killing some kid cause he is too strong to play junior.

Sounds like a humble good character guy. I hope he makes the team too. We could probably develop him the same way the Capitals are doing with Tom Wilson.

In fact, I can see Hansen being replaced by Virtanen pretty soon.

In fact, I can see Hansen being replaced by Virtanen pretty soon.

Rather move Higgins first. I don't think Hansen gets moved until deadline of his last year of current contract.

Too fast, too good at both ends, good cap hit...there's really no reason to move him...yet.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

Rather move Higgins first. I don't think Hansen gets moved until deadline of his last year of current contract.

Too fast, too good at both ends, good cap hit...there's really no reason to move him...yet.

True, but if it does happen, who do you think would get moved to left wing? Virtanen or Hansen? I know Virtanen played some left wing but I believe he has converted to right wing?

True, but if it does happen, who do you think would get moved to left wing? Virtanen or Hansen? I know Virtanen played some left wing but I believe he has converted to right wing?

Any of Dorsett, Hansen or Virtanen can play LW (as can Burr, though likely less related here). I'm sure they'd figure something out ;)

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

I was getting excited about Virtanen playing this coming year, Then, last night on satellite they replayed the WJC final with Russia/Canada and was reminded how young and raw Virtanen is.

Canada was up 5-1 in the 2nd period, and he took a penalty,Russia scored and it was 5-2, Virtanens next shift it was 5-3 and don't recall seeing him get another shift again.

I think others and myself may be a little quick thinking he can be better, than the pro athletes we already have on the team now,

It may be best to start him in the junior, let him play in the WJC and let him play with the farm team when he can after that.

He is not a flashy type player, he plays a mans game, only thing is, in the NHL lots of players are his size, and having played in the NHL they are savvy to what he will try and can do.

I now would think its best to hopefully have him tear up the junior team, play with the Comets before coming to the best and hardest league in the world.

I believe Benning and Linden will do whats best for his development, as they obviously have more info and knowledge, but looking from the outside in, that is my take on it

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure Virtanen will play at least 9 games, but how he plays in those 9 games should determine if we should send him down or not. He might be ready, but we'll just have to wait until the preseason to figure that out.

whether he's ready or not; he'll be on the team.

i'm interested to see if he obviously earns it or he is gifted it too.

Assuming he ends up playing 12 NHL mins/game, with vets like higgins/hansen/dorsett/prust to grind it out with;

What do you think that means for his development?,

Would his offensive upside be stunted by never having the chance to be that number 1 guy, both in CGY where he played behind overagers and WJC where he played 4th line?,

Should he be given sedin time? what if burr/vrbata were both out?,

Would he get PP time?

Edited by Edlerberry

How can we expect a player who was barely trusted by his coach in junior to be trusted by Willie Desjardins in Vancouver?

Jake should start by proving he can be the go to guy in Calgary and at the WJC before playing in the NHL.

All I saw out of him at the junior level was inconsistent play and dumb penalties. Willie ain't got time for dat

To be fair he was trusted with some heavy ice time in utica. I'm not sure what's different maybe the hitmen wanted to help him develop a more complete game. Or they wanted him to stay next season so they reduced his opportunities. The latter is what I've thought all season but I'm probably wrong. They would be a hell of a team with him leading the hitmen next season. Doubt they'd delay him tho just for that. I shouldn't be speculating I'm not them I don't know the inner workings of their organization.

Giving him a spot on the Canucks would be a mistake IMO. He's not ready and he still has a lot to do and learn, even in the junior level. He will have an opportunity to start the season healthy, play a big role in the WJC, and maybe end the season with Utica. This is probably best for his development.

• Upvote 3

Giving him a spot on the Canucks would be a mistake IMO. He's not ready and he still has a lot to do and learn, even in the junior level. He will have an opportunity to start the season healthy, play a big role in the WJC, and maybe end the season with Utica. This is probably best for his development.

i think this as well... but if he doesn't jump again... yikes.

he's gotta get that shot in the scoring holes and i see lots of knuckle-pucks, whiffs and misses along with wearing out goalie pads.

i think this as well... but if he doesn't jump again... yikes.

he's gotta get that shot in the scoring holes and i see lots of knuckle-pucks, whiffs and misses along with wearing out goalie pads.

Water down your hateraide down bro.... It's bad for your brain.

Edited by jstewboy

He'll basically have to show he can outdo Kenins. Similar enough game at this stage: forechecking and aggression with skill. If Virts can match the first two, and do better on the third, then he gets a chance.

kid needs a good camp, and not just normal stuff, he has NHL ready skating puck control and probably shot, but there are other elements that he needs to work on, such as puck decision making, and playing better defensively, not that he is terrible and that part of his game.

From feedback Jake was pretty good as a 18 year old, at times making a lot of noise for Utica, that said at this age, I believe it's best he plays one more year for Caglary, this time around with all of last years Hitmen overagers moving on, this is a excellent opportunity for Jake to get some extra ice time.

think about it, Bo Horvat Averaged 10 minutes per game, as a very good player.

Virtannen will tops get maybe 10 minutes or 9 minutes per game, I rather him play 19 minutes a game with hitmen then 9 minutes with the Canucks. Heck even McCann is being sent back why not send Virtannen back for one more year?