The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What it takes to be a FAN.

Hank Moody

to be a true FAN, you have gotta just stick it out during the good and bad/respect the players even which way the team is going/dont bandwagon because you wouldnt be considered loyal/be happy about our picks in the draft and future signings for the free agency, sure there are things we can dissagree on but to be a fan you just have to believe that this is your team and even if we dont have a cup it will get better one day, also 1 thing many people dont know much about is the AHL system we have in utica which is sorta sad. Too close off just dont stop the support but atleast know what ur talking about when you do and dont pretend ur some fan an then says ur a fan of another team or is like *so how bout that riot?* cause that is no true fan to me or many of you loyalist who dont stop the support

He isn't saying you have to worship everything the Canucks do. He's saying a good fan doesn't have a seething hatred for Virtanen already, who has been part of the organization for 2 days, just because they had a raging boner for Ehlers or Nylander's picture plastered all over their bedroom wall.

He isn't saying you have to worship everything the Canucks do. He's saying a good fan doesn't have a seething hatred for Virtanen already, who has been part of the organization for 2 days, just because they had a raging boner for Ehlers or Nylander's picture plastered all over their bedroom wall.

I'd bet that most fans don't have a clue who the Canucks did or didn't draft. CDC in the offseason is a pretty narrow portion of the fan base.

Well that's pretty obviously not who I'm addressing.

My comment was intended to be more of a general statement than anything specific to yours. But yes, hacking on a kid whose only time in the jersey was on the draft stage makes no sense (fan or not).

I do not care what anyone says but Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc... All have some of the dumbest people who consider themselves to be "fans". I personally don't comment on any other site about the Canucks except for CDC because those people on social media know next to nothing about who the Canucks get and who they trade (not all of them).

I seriously hate all these people that claim to be fans and just piss all over everything, then in the end claim that they believed in the team. It's pretty difficult to find an extremely knowledgeable hockey/Canucks fan here since many who claim to be fans are fairly fairweather. Those who aren't that invested in the Canucks usually say they know everything and ruin it for the actual fans who watch the team relentlessly.

On CDC people are trying to already get rid of Ryan Miller even though we barely know anything about the situation and the guys only been here for a day to check it out. It's fine to hate a player or say he's not good enough, but let him play at least a full season or half a season first. If GM is incompetent like how MG was near the end of his tenure then I can see why people would be questioning the teams moves, but this is a new regime and let them do what they want for first two seasons and lets see where we end up.

I gotta disagree.

I see where you are coming from OP, but I think you took that too far.

People who bitch about everything, people who aren't objective when they are uninformed. In alot of cases I agree with you.

But fans of these team aren't complaining about a pick or a trade because they want to see the team do worse, its because these fans desperately want to see the team do better and don't think the moves made are the correct ones to getting better.

But I guarantee you, 100% of those fans who don't feel a move is right, want to be eating crow at the end of the day about it.

So no, just because someone doesn't blindly approve of every move right away, doesn't mean they aren't a fan.

What's worse is these losers acting like they have an eye for talent, but the reality is they don't. They piss and moan about players and prospects we don't get by overrating them because we don't have them, but the underrate our own prospects and players because they are full of crap. The reality is these losers have no clue about anything, and it's why Benning is the GM, not them.

Stoked to have him. We need players who want to play for us and this is a perfect player to market the team around in the future. "Hometown boy drafted buy his idolized team now leads them to the playoffs" or something like that.

Also, most of the other top draft picks were picked by the team the wanted to be drafted by the most (from the realistic options that is). Players probably tell the team they want to be drafted by that they'd play their hears out for them

Ekblad - Wanted to be a panther. Why? Young players his age/nationality and gets to live near Miami in sunny Florida with his young teammates he'll fit in well with. Draft picks dream.

Draisaitl - Admitted he was really hoping to become an Edmonton Oiler

Dal Colle - Wanted to be an Islander because the team is moving to brooklyn + wants to play with John Tavares.

Virtanen - Probably the best story as out of ANY 30 teams, he'd want to be a Canuck.

4 of the top 6 players got their wish. Maybe more, but I just don't really know how the Sams feel about Buffalo and Calgary.

I'm happy with Virtanen in VAN. Actually, it's who I was hoping we picked.

What it takes to be a fan? You have it all wrong.

It takes:

• Guts: To risk getting major heck from your parents for staying up late in bed after designated bed time listening to Jim Robson on the transistor radio.
  • Thick skin: To endure years and decades of seeing your team being the butt of jokes and a laughingstock franchise.
  • Great Friends: Who remain your friend even after years of telling them that it's nothing personal, but you'd rather watch the game on your own instead of hanging with them.
  • An Understanding family: Who know and accept that quite often on game nights, a certain someone can be quite the bear and can be in a growly mood.

@ HankMoody: thanks for making your points without: accusing the fandom of being the problem for all things wrong with the hockey team; calling anyone names; grandstanding with a superiority complex; and scolding the fanbase. We've all seen too many of these types of posts in the past.

One thing for sure, CDC is one place where over-reaction to every minute move made by the team management, players, scouts, etc. is common place. As well, everyone has a strong opinion of everything, and seems to me that the immediate reflex is to attack someone if someone presents a different idea...and opinions here on the CDC appear to be presented as facts, and events and facts are selectively used to support one's opinion regardless of how skewed it may be.

There's a whole spectrum of fans here...ranging from one extreme to the other...wide range of emotions and view of the world. That's what actually interesting and entertaining for me about the CDC. People are entitled to cheer for the Canucks as they wish...being critical doesn't = bad fan...being a double fisted pom-pom waver doesn't = great fan...being supportive of all things management does doesn't = great fan...you get my point.

IMO, we have a wonderful fan base...but it is at times over-exuberant, over-critical...over-the-top...over-emotional...over-irrational. To me, that's what adds color to this forum.

Great post OP! Our fans are definitely interesting. After a bad game, Canucks fans wanted Luongo driven to the airport and shipped out, next game he posts a shutout and Canucks fans want him for Premier of BC. Funny how that works.

I gotta disagree.

I see where you are coming from OP, but I think you took that too far.

People who bitch about everything, people who aren't objective when they are uninformed. In alot of cases I agree with you.

But fans of these team aren't complaining about a pick or a trade because they want to see the team do worse, its because these fans desperately want to see the team do better and don't think the moves made are the correct ones to getting better.

But I guarantee you, 100% of those fans who don't feel a move is right, want to be eating crow at the end of the day about it.

So no, just because someone doesn't blindly approve of every move right away, doesn't mean they aren't a fan.

Couldn't have said it any better myself Smash.

There are people (I won't call them fans) who are uninformed, just want to be a sh*t disturber, or just really young, that say some pretty stupid things in here. But the vast majority wouldn't waste hours on this board if we didn't care about how the team does and want the best for it.

Archived