The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its not necessarily a failure to me. I wrote Tryamkin off as an option to ever play for the Canucks again when he left.

Tryamkin not wanting to wait to sign a contract is not any reason to slag the guy. What has Benning done to earn that trust from him? He dicked him around last year by all accounts and almost cost him a contract anywhere. Cant blame Tryamkin to not want to live the sequel this year.

I am not really making assumptions. I am just going by what both parties have said and not trying to attribute unknowns about either parties motivations. Like suggesting Tryamkin was asking for too much money or didnt want to play in the NHL or was stringing along the Canucks. None of those things are facts at this point. They are simply ways to lay blame on the player. And that is to make it seem, like so many times before, that Benning did his best but circumstances outside his control or someone else messed things up.

Based only on what has been said by both sides, the Canucks mangled cap situation - which is purely on Benning - is what got in the way.

you are making assumptions. 

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When did I advocate to overpay him? Benning himself said they agreed with what Tryamkin and his agent presented. I havent seen what that number was. Diamond said they could only agree to it after Benning could move out cap but that the current offer to sign before that happened was too low for Tryamkin.

I dont know how that points to anything other than the cap situation getting in the way of a fair deal for both sides.

internal cap. its a real thing

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You do know the contract situation happened yesterday, right? Last year is irrelevent. 

We've been discussing both years...

Last year = uncertainty.

This year, clearly Tryamkin has little actual desire to come back. If he did, he wouldn't have signed a 2 year deal. Cap was in no way hampering us from signing him this year.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

you are making assumptions. 

internal cap. its a real thing

No, I am just going on all the public info available acrually.

And if you are ok with Benning overpaying by "only a million" on several contracts and cant see how that chain reacts down the line then its probably not worth having a conversation about it.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Last year has zero to do with this years contract situation though. I am talking about what happened this year. 

You do realize I was also discussing this with @Jimmy McGillright? He and I were discussing last year as well.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

We've been discussing both years...

Last year = uncertainty.

This year, clearly Tryamkin has little actual desire to come back. If he did, he wouldn't have signed a 2 year deal. Cap was in no way hampering us from signing him this year.

Funny how his agent has said for months he wanted to come back and it was his number one priority. And yet no one should believe him because it looks bad for Benning?

Honestly, him signing a 2 year deal doesnt mean he didnt want to come back. It just means he didnt want to get lowballed or wait for cap to be cleared.

It seems Benning has already internally allocated any cap he is gaining this offseason. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

benning gave a offer, tree didn't like it. benning had to wait till offseason to do any moves. tree couldn't wait 2 weeks? he obviously did not care to play that much.

I dont think you understand what the actual message is about the cap here. Benning has seemingly already internally allocated any cap space he is gaining and would have needed to move out more to fit Tryamkin in. Given his complete inability to move cap out I can understand the player not wanting to take his word on it.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It was everywhere when they were shut down.

And no, I'm talking about last year in that case. It's your error if you're conflating the two.

This year we're have zero requirement to clear cap to have signed him. He clearly wanted to stay home.

it is possible, that a deal could not be done with 18% escrow, taxes, we likely had to offer him 2.2 million plus to even break even with the russian offer.

i wouldn't pay more than 2.2

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think you understand what the actual message is about the cap here. Benning has seemingly already internally allocated any cap space he is gaining and would have needed to move out more to fit Tryamkin in. Given his complete inability to move cap out I can understand the player not wanting to take his word on it.

iNtErNaL CaP

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Also wait 2 weeks for a trade? tree didnt care

Eriksson Luongo Sutter ..  as far as pay, pay for performance, or non performance goes,  that’s a brush that can cover an entire wall , and the imperfections push through.

The flat cap, and of course the disruption of all business due to C-19 are also a reality check.    ... and yes,  we all look at our pay cheques, TAXES paid, bank accounts and life style, to see if adjustments can be made for the better,  or realize something dosent work.

Sometimes Timing is everything in those decisions, and you could win, or lose more by waiting for the truly unpredictable.

Lets all be real .     

Tryamkin was only a possibility at this time in a disruptive world.

Had the cap risen significantly, especially realizing a new Cable deal was signed, 

Had the NHL readjusted some of the rules regarding protected players being allowed to play durring this C-19 time (we could have had Nik last season).

Buy outs could have been re-adjusted. Caps shouldn’t be secret.

.. and surely a former player (Luongo) being paid by us while working for another organization because of an made up rule by the NHL (a pissing match with Bettman) , should have disappeared durring this time.

although the league and organizations have done a lot to keep the game on ice, they forget they could have looked to the organizations to see how they could have helped .  Each has interesting situations that bleed money,  instead, Bettman has looked for the grandeur of inking a substantial Cable Contract, than get on the benches with each organization and owner, not only to listen, but to implement proper changes to keep all and everything in hockey healthy.

it will also be interesting to see where the new cap, and team numbers (the great unknown) lie, after this season as some contracts expire, what others sign for.

..and what money remains,.   another hind sight moment awaits.

Good Luck Tryamkin,  

And for all invoved in this where, the Canucks , Tryamkin, and Diamond are concerned, sometimes you have to give up a bit in the moment, to get the true rewards of the future.

For me, I’m disappointed, but that’s what an upside world can do ..  to anybody.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

it is possible, that a deal could not be done with 18% escrow, taxes, we likely had to offer him 2.2 million plus to even break even with the russian offer.

i wouldn't pay more than 2.2

Me either.

I figured he and his agent would view something around $1.5-$2 as roughly 'breaking even' with the long term view to bet on himself and earn more on his next deal ($4m+?).

But clearly he's more comfortable just staying in Russia, as is his prerogative.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So what is their internal cap number?

Seems to be since they operate at the nhl salary cap that would be what it is.

well geez have you heard that beagle is on ltir. internal caps have nothing to do with salary cap.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Me either.

I figured he and his agent would view something around $1.5-$2 as roughly 'breaking even' with the long term view to bet on himself and earn more on his next deal ($4m+?).

But clearly he's more comfortable just staying in Russia, as is his prerogative.

I think what some of you are purposely avoiding is Benning himself said what Tryamkin was asking for was something they were willing to do. Diamond said the offer they got back was nowhere near what they wete asking and that Tryamkin would have to wait for additional cap to be cleared to get what he asked for.

Look at it from Tryamkin's perspective though. Accept a lower offer now or wait and hope Benning would clear cap and sign him. 

Benning is notorious for chasing after shiny objects. What if Tryamkin waited as Benning wanted then Benning traded for OEL or re-signed other players using up the cap. There was a big risk Tryamkin gets left without a chair when the music stopped.

I dont see how anyone can not at least agree that cap mismanagement is the culprit here. A million here, 500k there overpayments on several contracts would more than make up the difference to be able to sign Tryamkin.

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because unlike this silly narrative, obviously it wasn't really about the cap.

Benning was waiting on clarity from the league on whether there would even be a season, what that would do to cap, was there going to be a compliance buyout etc, etc. Never mind re-signing (or as it turns out, replacing) Tanev, who our 2nd goalie was going to be etc, etc.

Sorry, but until you have clarity on those things, signing a third pair RFA takes the back seat. Whether people like it or not.

I understand that, and agree, for last years situation but not this years. E.g., if Jim knows he's going to buy out Loui, thats 2 million of Nik's deal right there. Or now Jake. 

So for this season I don't agree on the clarity part, we certainly have much more of that with vaccinations and the new tv deals. 

48 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I understand that, and agree, for last years situation but not this years. E.g., if Jim knows he's going to buy out Loui, thats 2 million of Nik's deal right there. Or now Jake. 

So for this season I don't agree on the clarity part, we certainly have much more of that with vaccinations and the new tv deals. 

Only thing I can think of was that the 'agreed to' terms Tryamkin and his agent reportedly wanted, were for a higher dollar, longer term deal. In which case, I could totally see why Benning would need time to get ducks in a row, for say a 4 year, +/-$3m deal.

If he wanted assurances and a contract NOW, we were likely only prepared to offer a one year +/-$1.5m deal at this time. 

We still have loads of things to sort out between the ED, expiring contracts etc. Again, those things take precedence over a third pair RFA with a history of commitment issues.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1