The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] Vancouver drafts Nikita Tryamkin(D) with 66th overall

canucktican

I'm hoping that they have some relevant information about this fellows intentions regarding playing in the NHL.

Benning and scouts obviously like the potential upside of this kids skill set and the fact he showed up at the draft (has that been confirmed?) is a good indication of his desire to play in the NHL. After all, regardless of your nationality if you're a soccer player you dream of playing in the World Cup and if you're a hockey player you dream of playing for the Stanley cup, so maybe this isn't such a huge dice roll from a risk reward perspective, depending on what they believe they know about this massive D-man.

You've got to like the Forsling pick also that late, the only debatable move is trading the 50th for Linden Vey and passing on the smooth skating Roland McKeown. Obviously, Benning must love what he sees in Vey who might be able to help right away, although you wonder we're he fits in, seems almost redundant, wonder who gets traded next.

Guest Dasein

Those of you worried that he might not come over:

Tryamkin said he wants to be "the next big Russian in Vancouver." He's got two years left on his KHL contract. #NHLDraft

He sounds like he very much wants to be in the NHL someday. Don't you think Benning would have interviewed the kid to see whether he had the desire to come over and try to make the NHL? The only questions IMO with this kid is whether he can put it all together to make the NHL - not whether he'll be coming over or not. I like our chances of him panning out and I like this pick.

Chara was a regular In the nhl by the time he was 20....just sayin

Chara was also a regular pylon in the NHL when he was 20...just sayin

Needed time and a lot of hard work before he became who he is today. It's a process.

sticking with the draft rankings worked out for us well last year,

this year we could have had Mckeown and Glover - two d men projected much higher than where we would have picked them,

not happy with these niche moves - tryamkin - did we really need to take him in the third?

i think ppl over think the whole drafting thing way too much - they think they know something that the ISS doesn't

Mckeown and glover would have made this draft a home run on top of demko, mccann, virtanen instead we dip into obscurity - which is what we have done classically

Looks like the kind of pick the Detroit Red Wings would make , I like it. We pick up a possible number one goalie and huge mobile hard shooting D with just as much potential as any the remaining D and it get considered obscurity????

Big body. Kind of hoping we'd target an O d-man with one of our picks. Our defence prospects aren't great. Hope Benning knows something I don't Mckeown was my man..

Nick the Tyrannosaurus FTW!

(Slim odds he'll ever put on a Canucks jersey.)

Same can be said of any draft pick that low in the draft regardless of where they are from.

a grand slam or strike out type of pick. There is no in between.

1) he may suck but still earn more in russia and hence staying there.

2) he may turn into a gem but decided to stay in russia.

3) he may turn into a gem and want to challenge the nhl.

i just don't see him coming over if he is mediocre.... but boy it would be totally awesome if he pans out and decides to come.

Let me give you a tip. Never believe a word a Russian says... especially some farm boy speaking through the 'translation' of an agent. If we go by history there's little chance he'll even show up... and if he does the great probability is that he'll sign one contract and go back to Russia. (That's even assuming he has any real talent.)

- it's just plain stupid to take this kind of (unnecessary) risk. If you had a great pipeline it would be one thing... and you could take a risk... but the Canucks have possibly the worst pipeline in the league.

- the Russians who stay and do well in the NHL tend to be city types like Larionov...

Let me give you a tip. Never believe a word a Russian says... especially some farm boy speaking through the 'translation' of an agent. If we go by history there's little chance he'll even show up... and if he does the great probability is that he'll sign one contract and go back to Russia. (That's even assuming he has any real talent.)

- it's just plain stupid to take this kind of (unnecessary) risk. If you had a great pipeline it would be one thing... and you could take a risk... but the Canucks have possibly the worst pipeline in the league.

- the Russians who stay and do well in the NHL tend to be city types like Larionov...

"I'm not racist but..."

And we saw where that got Boston vs the Habs who did have the PMD.

JB had a front row seat to this and still passed on the PMD.

That trap they fell into after two cup final appearances?

Archived