The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] Vancouver drafts Nikita Tryamkin(D) with 66th overall

canucktican

Let me give you a tip. Never believe a word a Russian says... especially some farm boy speaking through the 'translation' of an agent. If we go by history there's little chance he'll even show up... and if he does the great probability is that he'll sign one contract and go back to Russia. (That's even assuming he has any real talent.)

- it's just plain stupid to take this kind of (unnecessary) risk. If you had a great pipeline it would be one thing... and you could take a risk... but the Canucks have possibly the worst pipeline in the league.

- the Russians who stay and do well in the NHL tend to be city types like Larionov...

you win the internet mrhopeless

Big body. Kind of hoping we'd target an O d-man with one of our picks. Our defence prospects aren't great. Hope Benning knows something I don't Mckeown was my man..

Subban, Hutton, Tommernes...I think we're good on mid round offensive D's.

Let me give you a tip. Never believe a word a Russian says... especially some farm boy speaking through the 'translation' of an agent. If we go by history there's little chance he'll even show up... and if he does the great probability is that he'll sign one contract and go back to Russia. (That's even assuming he has any real talent.)

- it's just plain stupid to take this kind of (unnecessary) risk. If you had a great pipeline it would be one thing... and you could take a risk... but the Canucks have possibly the worst pipeline in the league.

- the Russians who stay and do well in the NHL tend to be city types like Larionov...

"No Russian...."

It seems that Tryamkind has quite a big number for PIM. Is he just positionally weak and taking lots of tripping/hooking penalties? A physical specimen and just incurring roughing penalties? Perhaps he's fighting a lot and getting misconducts too?

What is "just plain stupid" is to call this guy a "farm boy" when in fact he comes from Yekaterinberg which has a population of about 1.3 million and is the 4th biggest city in Russia and is the city he has played all his hockey in. Also Larionov is from Voskresensk which is also where he played all his junior and the first few years of pro. It has a population of about 90,000 which hardly makes him a "city slicker" Thanks for coming.

Tryamkin made it into a May 2014 feature in The Hockey News entitled "The best players in the world you've never heard of": http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-best-players-in-the-world-youve-never-heard-of/

And that was putting him on a short list of actual players, not just prospects.

Also been poking around Euro and Russian sites and seeing good stuff about him. Past issues were his skating, positioning, hockey sense, and discipline. In pretty much every area, he's either improved or sorted out completely the problems. Especially over the past year, where his improvement has been very dramatic.

Some of the negative reports, especially those questioning his skating, are probably outdated. Recent discussions suggest he has worked hard and now is considered very mobile for a big man. He's even been seen leading the rush and going coast-to-coast in some KHL games. And while he's not an offensive defenseman by any means, his puck skills and shot are quite good (especially his shot--he's describes as owning a "cannon" from the point by several reports).

Probably deserved being passed over in previous drafts but almost certainty has now earned this year's pick. Could have a real shot at becoming an NHL player.

And his interest in the NHL and willingness to come over here is something I've seen confirmed by a few different sources.

I guess we will find out if the KHL can develop d-men better than the AHL. I like the idea that he will learn some of his game on the big ice and against fast players. I still prefer the AHL because of the emphasis on defense which is more spotty in the KHL.

Am I right that Larinanov is his agent?

Tryamkin made it into a May 2014 feature in The Hockey News entitled "The best players in the world you've never heard of": http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-best-players-in-the-world-youve-never-heard-of/

And that was putting him on a short list of actual players, not just prospects.

Also been poking around Euro and Russian sites and seeing good stuff about him. Past issues were his skating, positioning, hockey sense, and discipline. In pretty much every area, he's either improved or sorted out completely the problems. Especially over the past year, where his improvement has been very dramatic.

Some of the negative reports, especially those questioning his skating, are probably outdated. Recent discussions suggest he has worked hard and now is considered very mobile for a big man. He's even been seen leading the rush and going coast-to-coast in some KHL games. And while he's not an offensive defenseman by any means, his puck skills and shot are quite good (especially his shot--he's describes as owning a "cannon" from the point by several reports).

Probably deserved being passed over in previous drafts but almost certainty has now earned this year's pick. Could have a real shot at becoming an NHL player.

And his interest in the NHL and willingness to come over here is something I've seen confirmed by a few different sources.

Thanks Sid!

Always nice to read comments by someone that has actually done some research.

The way he is works at improving on his weaknesses, shows that he is smart and highly trainable. Looks to be a guy that is very dedicated/disciplined and really wants to be the best he can be.

Very happy to hear that he is interested in coming over to the NHL.

Archived