The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] Vancouver drafts Nikita Tryamkin(D) with 66th overall

canucktican

I don't really like this pick.

A big defencemen who needs to work on his skating vs the fast puck moving guy in McKeown we could have taken with our earlier pick (snapped up by LA).

If Boston's roster is any indication Benning is not a fan of the 'PMD' type of player.

A huge defender with a cannon of a shot, Tryamkin is an intriguing prospect who has been oddly overlooked during two NHL Drafts. His size and puck skills are certainly interesting even for North American teams, who may have gleaned some good indications on his game during the recent WJC, where he was an important player on the Russian blue line. Tryamkin should work on his skating and positional play, but has some good intangibles.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nikita-tryamkin/

If Boston's roster is any indication Benning is not a fan of the 'PMD' type of player.

And we saw where that got Boston vs the Habs who did have the PMD.

JB had a front row seat to this and still passed on the PMD.

I think we just fell into the Russian trap. We saw it for years with the Canucks, where we'd draft these obscure Russian players that never even ended up coming over here.

I hope he pans out and becomes that big ogre like defenseman we need, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sometimes it's just better to go with the best CHL defenseman.

Torey Krug???

(Seems we're drafting guys with particular skills rather than top CV's? Tryamkind qualifies in that discussion. And BTW, guess what we picked later, a Swedish undersized PMD, Forsling...)

i would think that if they hope to bring a russian into the system, that there would be a russian to help guide the kid, other than the amateur scout. is this a foreshadowing of bringing in a russian top 6 forward with our cap space? only time will tell

I see a trend in Linden and Benning bringing in players ready or close to ready. In this case I"m sure they know he needs some seasoning but worth the risk.

Vancouver needs some bite on the back end. Crushing hits would be a good start.

That said looks like they'll wait this one out. I can see Benning getting hitting the FA market and bringing in a tough regular defense man.

In KHL, 6'7" defensemen draft you.

,,,nice! Not sure how many will pick up on that joke.

I don't mind the pick, it is in the mid/later rounds like this that I think you really swing for the fences where you get guys who will be absolute busts or very good players. In this case the knock is that he might never leave Russia.

If he did though, his size on a smaller ice surface could really make up for any perceived positional issues... his game could be much more suited to the North American game.

A big defencemen who needs to work on his skating vs the fast puck moving guy in McKeown we could have taken with our earlier pick (snapped up by LA).

I agree with I would have loved Roland at 50 would have liked him at 36 even, but at least we got a good player from LA Vey is a promising player who is ready to make the jump, I have no problem with that.

,,,nice! Not sure how many will pick up on that joke.

I don't mind the pick, it is in the mid/later rounds like this that I think you really swing for the fences where you get guys who will be absolute busts or very good players. In this case the knock is that he might never leave Russia.

If he did though, his size on a smaller ice surface could really make up for any perceived positional issues... his game could be much more suited to the North American game.

If he looks like reneging Pavel will send a few of the boys round to have a word in his ear. :)

We already have someone like him in Subban and I think there's more of a risk with those guys IMO.

Whereas someone like Tryamkin is already playing against men and might be able to step right in when he's 22.

Archived