The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you comfortable with Lack & Markstrom?

Canuckler87

Nope. Markstrom is going to need far too much tutelage from Melanson that should be going to Lack. I'm much more comfortable with a veteran than Divestrom to back up Lack.

buzz is they will have regularly scheduled practices this year

so it is conceivable that melanson can coach lack and markstrom

If there was ever a season to tank this is the one. People will complain etc but honestly does anyone in Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. care that they tanked to get franchise players to lead them to cups? Nope.

I think this is a season where we should jettison a bunch of older players and let the young guys get a year of experience no matter what the result, including Lack.

It does not look like the Canucks are interested in doing so though which is fine too. But a guy like McDavid changes the fortunes of franchises.

Why not hire some grossly obese man duck tape him in. Seriously what are the rules I bet you could find a guy somewhere that takes up every inch. And only costs weekly Tim Hortons gift cards. But really what if a huge man took up all the space would the nhl allow that? Lol

Let's say he even only took up say 70% of the net. All he would have to do is shuffle from left to right and we are golden.

A lot of us DO want to tank.

A problem being the change in the draft (lottery) next season.

Tanking no longer necessarily guarantees you the top pick.

Playing our heart out and losing I can totally deal with.

Purposefully putting a plan in place whereby the players are more likely to fail (because I don't believe the amount of youth on this team next season would play to lose on purpose) no, I won't watch or support that.

Depending on what happens during free agency, I think the team could be a good bit better than some people think. I do get the problem some of you have with being "mediocre" though.... not good enough to get that excited about but not terrible either, so just "tank it" etc

Why would we extend the Sedins if we are going to have no goalie to get us into the playoffs? Wouldn't it make sense to blow the whole old core up altogether and stockpile picks to accelerate the process? Buffalo has three first rounders & they suck so right now they are the front runners for McDavid anyways. Also, are there any bonafide starting goaltenders in next years draft expected to go high? Like a Carey Price type

Goal is the ONLY position I am happy with,

Let these two battle each other for the #1 spot this year,

If there's a crear winner, that's our guy

If they both look good, we trade one,

If neither get it done, we are that much closer to drafting a REAL offensive prospect next year.

We can't lose.......even if we don't win.

Purposefully putting a plan in place whereby the players are more likely to fail (because I don't believe the amount of youth on this team next season would play to lose on purpose) no, I won't watch or support that.

Depending on what happens during free agency, I think the team could be a good bit better than some people think. I do get the problem some of you have with being "mediocre" though.... not good enough to get that excited about but not terrible either, so just "tank it" etc

No player loses on purpose, especially not so his current team can draft higher,

It depreciates his value in the marketplace and brings someone else in to potentially takes his job.

The desire to tank is from fans only,

When did everyone get so Goddamn cheap!

You used to trade value for value...

Now, unless you're totally burning the other team......no deal,

I think given his contract and his relative underachievement the asking price may not have come down to a realistic level. I thought I read they wanted a young roster player, a top prospect, and a 1st round pick heading into the draft. That is unrealistic based on the above factors imo.

I think there is a difference between purposely trying to lose and going with a young team that may need to learn the hard way how to win. If you sacrifice a year in the process gaining a good shot at a generational talent is the lowest risk time to do so imo.

I would never advocate purposely losing. But I also don't think this should be the year we try to sign a bunch of free agents so we can make the playoffs. Because without huge changes to the core this team is not built to make any noise in the playoffs.

If Benning can get some younger guys to replace vets (like he started doing with the Kesler deal) and play the style that he wants like Myers or say Marchand from Boston then that is a different story altogether. But if they feel like this core just needs to be augmented to be effective in the playoffs we will end up in typical Canuck land - namely high enough to not get a top pick without having a realistic shot at the cup.

I'd wait til the trade deadline to decide. Lack is good enough to play in a 1A and 1B system. Completely unsure if Markstrom could be the 1B though. I want to see Markstrom play, partly to see what the hell we got in return for Luongo, but if Markstrom can emerge as a 1B than we save cap space and may possibly be able to go after a better FA.

I think given his contract and his relative underachievement the asking price may not have come down to a realistic level. I thought I read they wanted a young roster player, a top prospect, and a 1st round pick heading into the draft. That is unrealistic based on the above factors imo.

If that's true, then I'm totally ok with being "Goddamn cheap"

I think he is worth a decent return though, maybe one good but not great piece.

Tough to put a price on Myers, he was one thing....then he was something else....very subjective value.

Archived