The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you comfortable with Lack & Markstrom?

Canuckler87

Going into next season with two goalies that have very limited NHL experiance is troublesome for me. Lack may play well for some stretches.. but can he handle the grind of a full season as a starter? I don't feel he is ready for that. Definitely needs another season of apprenticeship where he maybe splits time with an established starter.

Markstrom hasn't yet displayed anything that would give the notion he's ready for a starters role. Despite once being touted as the best goaltending prospect in the game, he has fallen off. Has good size though. But if we are going into next season with only these two goaltenders, we will not make the playoffs. Western conference is too good for that. Anyone disagree?

That leaves the two big free agent goalies Hiller and Miller. Hiller seems much more intriguing as a guy with something to prove since being replaced in Anaheim as a starter. Still fairly young and can steal games with great all around ability. I remember one playoff where he was great and singlehandedly stole series against teams. Will his health issues be a concern? Vertigo issues detailed his career for a couple years.

Miller seems to be past his prime years. Very dissapointing playoffs. Maybe he can be effective splitting time with Lack. Out of the two, I like Hiller if the term is low. Maybe Brodeur but I doubt he'd want to come here and split time. He was in that spot in New Jersey.

No. Lack needs another year of being a back up before he's ready to be a number 1. We need to sign a veteran goalie.

Reasonably comfortable with Lack, but not so much with Markstrom.

If you assume Lack is injured and out for awhile, we are pretty much done.

This. If Lack gets hurt at any point during the season and is out for an extended period of time we might as well just start selling McDavid jerseys.

Archived