The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you comfortable with Lack & Markstrom?

Canuckler87

No. I think Canucks should go after Jonas Hiller on July 1st. Signing Jonas Hiller makes a lot of sense as it takes pressure off Eddie Lack, lets Jacob Markstrom find his game in the AHL and it shouldnt cost too much anyway.

This.

There is no reason we can't walk an chew gum at the same time. Play for today, plan for tomorrow. That's how a real GM takes care of business.

All of the #1 picks in the world don't promise future success. Look at Edmonton. They've had what, three #1 in a row? 4? I've lost count. The only thing they got out of it is suck-cess.

Win today, dominate tomorrow. Never tank for magic beans. Ever.

This.

There is no reason we can't walk an chew gum at the same time. Play for today, plan for tomorrow. That's how a real GM takes care of business.

All of the #1 picks in the world don't promise future success. Look at Edmonton. They've had what, three #1 in a row? 4? I've lost count. The only thing they got out of it is suck-cess.

Win today, dominate tomorrow. Never tank for magic beans. Ever.

Excellent perspective. I really see this in Benning and his methodical approach since he has set foot in VAN. Baby steps :)

If that's true, then I'm totally ok with being "Goddamn cheap"

I think he is worth a decent return though, maybe one good but not great piece.

Tough to put a price on Myers, he was one thing....then he was something else....very subjective value.

I think Myers would be worth a bit of an overpayment because I feel like Desjardins could do good things for him, much like I feel about Sbisa.

But his contract is very high for what he currently brings to the table so that no doubt would temper the offers a bit unless Buffalo retains salary. I could actually see them doing so if the return was what they wanted.

So to confirm.. THose saying go for a number one goalie also want to trade him?

I don't think that is the best route to take. His value is low, we are better off grooming him into a NHL starter under Melanson. Markstrom has a higher ceiling than does Lack. Lack is good for 45 games, Markstrom is good for 27. If one out performs the other then WD can adjust accordingly.

Markstrom would not clear waivers or gain anything significant back in trade.

Unless they plan to run 3 goalies but that is a little ridiculous I think.

Comfortable with our tandem for now because the Canucks are not yet ready to contend anyway. Let Lack and Markstrom learn and grow together as hopefully the other younger players will do at the same time. Once the team is ready to challenge in the playoffs, if our goalies are a problem then seek out an upgrade.

Lack and Markstrom will be solid goalies but from what I saw this season I don't believe they could carry the team to a cup. There is of course room to develop, but unless Lack suddenly has an explosion of improvement (very possible), then this goalie tandem isn't as impressive as i'd want it to be.

Nothing wrong with Lack, he's an excellent goaltender, not even a downgrade to Schneider. Markstrom is more of an unknown at this point. I'm comfortable running with what we have or if we bring in Hiller to split with Lack for this coming season.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Eddie Lack:

Remember Schneider's first game as the supposedly number 1 goalie?

How about Luongo in game 3 of the 2011 SCF?

So what's your point?

No goalie is perfect?

Ladies and gentlemen, that's the bleeding obvious.

I'm more comfortable with Lack/Markstrom than I am with our defense and centres.

I still see a huge need for a dynamic PMD/PPQB. I think this team's offensive struggles will continue until this is addressed. And I'm convinced this is the only player type that suits an Edler pairing and can get him back on track.

And we need to replace some of what was lost with the Kesler trade. While Bonino should be fine replacing Kesler's offense, we really don't have anyone to handle tough matchups and key defensive faceoffs. We don't have a great PK centreman. Kes did these things very well. Unless we find someone to take up the slack, we'll be leaning even heavier on Henrik than we have the past couple seasons (2012-13 due to Kesler missing most of the season; 2013-14 due to Torts' ill-advised "all situations" usage). I was hoping we'd be giving the twins softer matchups and better zonestarts. As it stands right now, Hank might have to carry the weight even more.

I'm not confident in Markstrom but I'm much more worried about the issues in our skating group than our netminders.

"Comfortable" might be overstating things, but I'm OK with Lack and Markstrom. The way I see it, we're not even close to being a Cup contending team and management knows it. So why not let those two "sink or swim"? It's not like we have anything to really lose by seeing what they've got.

Personally, I actually believe Lack has what it takes to be an NHL starter. Markstrom's success depends mostly on whether he's capable of absorbing what Melanson can teach him.

I am fine with it personally, but it's pretty clear from what we got back in the Kesler deal that Benning is trying to compete next year. If so, he will probably try to land a UFA starter. But I hope Edmonton and others outbid him for Hiller, Miller, etc. Lack was really good for most of last year, and wasn't responsible single-handedly for more than a couple of losses. He'll be better this year. We can't send Markstrom down without passing through waivers and losing him, so either we keep him up or move him for very little. I'd prefer to keep and develop him under Melanson. If we get a UFA starter, the other alternative is to move Lack, which will get a better return, but still not a good one. Either way, we lose big on the asset management front. And there's always Eriksson in Utica if Lack and Markstrom can't get the job done. I'd rather let our 3 top prospects in goal sort it out next year, and as a worst case scenario, take the chance on sucking in a good draft year.

Archived