The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BUF initiate compliance buy out on Ehrhoff

I don't think we should sign him. I'd rather use up a roster spot on stanton or give top 4 duty to Tanev..

We gotta quit trying to relive 2011.

Forget 2011; he is one of the better PMD in the league, and almost certainly one of the best that will be available at FA, for which we cleared up cap space.

He was pretty good before 2011 too.

Wow. That means theyll pay like 1M until the late 2020's?? holy.

Guess he's kind of eating his words now.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup," Ehrhoff said in a statement released by the team. ''And after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

Um... There's a reason he was bought out instead of traded - nobody would take him.

The two years he played for the Canucks were the best of his career - putting up roughly half those numbers per year since. He is still a liability defensively - he was with the Canucks too but we were able to hide that a lot more than the Sabres could.

He will be picked up by another team no doubt, as he's still an NHL calibre defence man, but not worth the 4 mil Buffalo was paying him. I think someone will probably sign him for a short term deal worth 2.5-3 mil per year.

And he'll do it again, people asking for him here have no idea how paid he's about to get. Easily the most sought after UFA defenseman as of today.

Not a player who wanted to stay when the Canucks were offensive juggernauts and played to his style.

Didnt know a good thing when he had it and clearly had zero interest in Vancouver.

He will now be offered an insane amount of money in free agency. Hmm team offering insane amount of money ? Team needing an offensive dman ?

I would say he will sign with the Islanders.

I'm shocked. Why would they do that

Very simple: Tank city, here they come!

Look at what they've done the past few years and all the capspace they have. Are they actually trying to be competitive like the Canucks are, despite admittedly being in a rebuilding mode? Of course some here will look upon that with admiration.

That being said, they are going to be far from the cap floor, which means trading Myers doesn't make much sense. What are they going to do -- throw crazy money at a bunch of scrubs just to get to the floor and further ensure their tanking?

Ehrhoff's time has passed. He chose money over a chance to win.

That's actually untrue. While he did choose money and Vancouver was a superior team back then Buffalo was a winning team. Came off a 96 point season and playoff appearance. Upcoming young talent like Myers looked great, the core guys like Vanek, Pom, Roy, etc. were all around 27-28 years old. Then they added Ehrhoff and Leino who was coming off a good year and anyone who looked at the Sabres then saw them as a legit contender.

But of course that whole situation flew off a cliff

Archived