The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Youth Chart [updated]

JohnScott

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pretty good but i got a feeling that Shinkaruk has the possibility of becoming a first liner.

My dream for shinkaruk: Become an elite scoring winger.

Me too. That's why I gave him a '+'. It means that he could become one.

Shinkaruk+

Good list, a minus sign would have been cool to show where some players might end up if they don't meet, let alone exceed expectations, but with the format laid out as it is, that would just be cumbersome.

Basically I just want a bunch of - - - added to Dane Fox :P I do feel he has a huge outside shot of being a 2nd liner, I'll reiterate, HUGE outside shot, with possibility of being a decent 3rd/4th liner, or he ends up being horrible and not even worthy of an NHL spot.

I'm still glad we took the chance on Fox though, signing that didn't cost us anything, and if at the very least all he does is help our Utica depth for the next couple of years, still a good signing.

I think Eriksson could have a +, think he has an outside shot of being an NHL starter, maybe not with us...not sure if list is limited to their potential as a whole, or potential within Canucks organization.

Although I can't recall his name but a recent Leaf signing bought himself out from a KHL contract...I believe the figure was $500K. Vcr will look at Tryamkin at the prospects camp to get a handle on his skill level and you would have to think if he shows well $500K is not going to get between them and adding a defenseman to the roster...it would be cheap at twice the price

Hutton has first pairing potential.

you're completely missing Hutton as a Red d-man...

Wow you guys are placing a lot of hope in Hutton. For a 5th round pick, giving him top 4 potential is already significant.

Shinkaruk, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen and Jensen (like almost every 1st rounder) all have better 1st line potential than Hutton has top pairing potential.

Not saying it's impossible, but it is a really long shot, realistically we should place him as a top 4 potential, at most.

Speaking of Hutton, anyone knows if he plans to attend canucks (prospect) camp?

Wow you guys are placing a lot of hope in Hutton. For a 5th round pick, giving him top 4 potential is already significant.

Shinkaruk, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen and Jensen (like almost every 1st rounder) all have better 1st line potential than Hutton has top pairing potential.

Not saying it's impossible, but it is a really long shot, realistically we should place him as a top 4 potential, at most.

Eh, who knows, he could be our #1 at some point. Not every defenceman puts up numbers like Hutton did. He was up for the Hobey and going to Harvard shows that he has the IQ. I'm intrigued as I think he has a ton of upside.

Edit: Misread quoted post.

Eh, who knows, he could be our #1 at some point. Not every defenceman puts up numbers like Hutton did. He was up for the Hobey and going to Harvard shows that he has the IQ. I'm intrigued as I think he has a ton of upside.

Edit: Misread quoted post.

General IQ and hockey IQ are completely different things.

Like I said, not saying it's impossible, but if Hutton deserve to be labelled on the depth chart as a top pairing, then we need to bump Shinkaruk, McCann, Horvat, Virtanen to potential 1st line as well.

I think this chart is not base on potential, but more on realistic projection of where they will end up. Otherwise, they should all be labeled potential 1st line/1st pair, since Datsyuk and Zetterberg beat the odds of being very late picks who became great.

Wow, we've got lots of 2nd line talent/ 2nd pair dman talent, but we lack 1st line/1st pair talent. Hopefully guys like Shinkaruk and Virtanen can reach their ceilings. Same w/ Tanev and Corrado on defense.

At the same time, however, you've got to keep in mind that 1 or 2 of the prospects will be a bust. That's just the way hockey works.

Either way, the future doesn't look so bleak after the last 2 drafts we've had.

I'd sure love to add McDavid or Eichel to that prospect list :bigblush:

Did you see Hutton at last years prospect camp?

He looked like a man among boys, bigger than most and way faster. He had a few end to end rushes that looked unstoppable literally skating around people with his head up and in control.

Benny is going to be a beast!

LOL, thats what they said about Ekblad, yet everyone argued that he would only be a #2 and we should take reinhart (if we would have tradeD).

He's not the first prospect to be more develop than others, which sometimes explains the difference in performances at that ages. If anything, we could argue that the only reasons Hutton looks so good is because of his faster developement (physically) than the others. Once the others catch up, Hutton will look ordinary.

Now i'm not writting off Hutton, i'm just saying we should calm down before labelling him as our savior and future 1st line pair. I'm sure he'll be a good defenseman, and if he's a 1st pairing one day, well thats a bonus. Not really counting on it.

If our prospects made up our roster:
Fox-Gaunce-Vey
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen
Virtanen-McCann-LaBate
Kenins-Cassels-Beattie
Lain
Cederholm-Andersson
Subban-Tommernes
Tryamkin-McNally
Forsling
Markstrom
Demko
I'm not putting Corrado on this list because he's full-time NHL now, but otherwise, looks pretty decent.

all you have to do is watch a couple Maine Games and you'd see he oozes with 1st pairing future. he IS his team, the entire offence runs through him, and he's great defensively. easily the best player on the ice for his team night in and night out, and usually for both teams. 5th round pick or not, the kid will be a first pairing d-man for us in the future. He's a man among boys in the NCAA.

Archived