The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks sign John Scott

I'd take Rypien back before any of those guys. Man I miss Rypien. I never understood why they let him walk.

Rypien paid a very steep price in mental health for the role he played on the team,... in much the same ways that Wade Belak & Derek Boogaard did for their respective teams.

This is one of the main reasons that the Vancouver Canucks & their fans, more than most teams, have embraced the concept of striving for a skill & speed team over hyping the need for fighting through-out the league. All tho' the way they were coached by Torts last season, was out-of character for the group...when the court cases start adding the extra pressure, the rest of the league will be forced to join with the Canucks & others,...in fazing-out the bouts of staged-fighting that are so obviously NOT incidental. The NHL is already being pressured to get with the standards of other leagues around the world...& eliminate fighting to the best of their ability. But, we ALL know that will only happen... when officials get the proper tools (video-replays) to make right & just calls out there.

Perceived bias within the DPS also needs to be eliminated. There needs to be a fair arena for all hearings....otherwise, the "code" of vigilante justice will still be seen as a necessary evil, by some NHL coaches & players alike. I just dont think Bettman or Chairman Jacobs have the proper motivations to do the right things, just yet. But, they ARE doing their damn best... to see that the O-6's cash in big, before the trends in the league change for good. It will impact the Chairman's voting block immensely when the key ways that they leave distractions in games to de-rail opponents & manipulate outcomes...will be removed from their arsenal. Officials are about to be reminded of the mandate they once promised to fullfill, with the organization of the DPS in the 1st place...when the Moore vs Bertuzzi trial resumes.

Rypien paid a very steep price in mental health for the role he played on the team,... in much the same ways that Wade Belak & Derek Boogaard did for their respective teams.

, I do not agree with your whole post .

For one, you can NOT blame the role rick rypien played for his mental health, nor belaks or boogaards. Mental health is a serious issue , that alot people suffer reguardless of thier profession. Derek boogaard died on a drug overdose. All 3 death are an aweful shame. There are no true facts or static trending that concur your statement. Hundreds and hundreds of Enforcers have played this game for over a thousand years and these are three rare occasions, which are very unfortunate.

Let me guess you will blame gino's health issues on his role he had while he was playing. Or bob probert's heart attack. Oopps I heard tie domi sneeze , must be the role he played.

As for steve moore.. had he fought.. he would of saved his career, it was not fighting in which ended it. He was challanged to fight, a total 5 times during that game, its on youtube ..watch it. As per serving the " code " , your night is over when the players on the other team say so, not this I fought once , I paid my dues.

This is one of the main reasons that the Vancouver Canucks & their fans, more than most teams, have embraced the concept of striving for a skill & speed team over hyping the need for fighting through-out the league.

false.

Perceived bias within the DPS also needs to be eliminated. There needs to be a fair arena for all hearings.....

This is the one valid point made in your post.

Yep. You found it. I couldn't remember the guy's name. What made it more embarrassing is that Johnson is an AHL'er.

Every player no matter how big, even Chara, loses fights. This one was an embarrassing one for Scott and I'm sure it was a blow to his pride.

Thats putting it nicely. He got his ass kicked. One punch KO's for supposed tuff guys from no names is not a good look.

both still having contracts with their teams ..islanders and caps

but both teams having a huge depth on the defence

may both will get moved?!

My mistake, thought both were UFAs.

Carkner I believe could be aquired for cheap, and help this team tremendously.

I still don't understand how Bolduc would not only drop the gloves, but take off his helmet (and ask Scott to take off his as if he had a chance to hit him) against Scott.

It's called "showing up". Quite often, guys go into fights knowing they're going to lose, but they stand up for themselves and their teammates. I actually gains them respect in the hockey community, especially, believe it or not, from the scrappers themselves.

Claude Lemieux earned himself a ton of respect when he showed up to take his beating from Darren McCarty...

Bieksa is going to be very busy this coming season...does anyone see any of the other Canucks d-men being able to stand up for Miller when dealing with incidents like this? Hamhuis, Edler, Sbisa and Stanton may push a player or two, but I honestly don't see anyone other than Bieksa stepping up.

We need a big-bodied, nasty d-man to help Bieksa out.

Stanton fights to fyi. He stands up for his teammates and countless times throughout last season showed that he's willing to fight. Yes Bieksa fights but he's also a spot picker.

I still don't understand how Bolduc would not only drop the gloves, but take off his helmet (and ask Scott to take off his as if he had a chance to hit him) against Scott.

Unwritten rule in fighter's conduct. If a guy takes his bucket off, it's only natural that the other guy should do so as well so it's fair for both fighters.

Stanton fights to fyi. He stands up for his teammates and countless times throughout last season showed that he's willing to fight. Yes Bieksa fights but he's also a spot picker.

Unwritten rule in fighter's conduct. If a guy takes his bucket off, it's only natural that the other guy should do so as well so it's fair for both fighters.

Yeah...two whole fights in 64 games last season and got his lunch handed to him in both. He's a fine positional defenceman and gets involved in scrums, but he ain't going to make anyone think twice about entering the greasy areas of the ice. Sure Bieksa picks his spots, but who other than him is ready, willing and able to chuck 'em? That's why we need a big/nasty d-man to take out the garbage and support the less cantankerous/truculent types we have on the back end.

Bolduc wore a shield. That's probably why he removed his lid when he fought Scott.

Yeah...two whole fights in 64 games last season and got his lunch handed to him in both. He's a fine positional defenceman and gets involved in scrums, but he ain't going to make anyone think twice about entering the greasy areas of the ice. Sure Bieksa picks his spots, but who other than him is ready, willing and able to chuck 'em? That's why we need a big/nasty d-man to take out the garbage and support the less cantankerous/truculent types we have on the back end.

Bolduc wore a shield. That's probably why he removed his lid when he fought Scott.

I suggest you re-watch both fights again then.

Stanton is no heavy weight goon, but he is more than capable of handling himself.

Fighting is almost completely useless nowadays. Players and teams are becoming to smart. You don't have to fight if you don't want to and you get zero points for winning or losing a fight.

Nobody in the NHL hesitates when giving a check because they are afraid of getting challenged to a fight.

Fighting is almost completely useless nowadays. Players and teams are becoming to smart. You don't have to fight if you don't want to and you get zero points for winning or losing a fight.

Nobody in the NHL hesitates when giving a check because they are afraid of getting challenged to a fight.

Did you see the senators vs rangers playoff series a couple years ago when boyle was roughing up erik karlsson intimidating him? Carkner responded by beating him up and nobody went near karlsson the rest of the series.

Also, do you remember the hawks canucks playoff battles when byfuglien used to fall all over luongo and nobody stood up for bobby lou? And how it threw him off his game? And how he would get lit up after? And how we lost 2 years in a row to them and their unchecked treatment of our goalie was a big reason for that?

Or how about when guys are concussing the sedins? Do you think duncan keith or dustin brown would still do that knowing that a matt carkner or brian mcgratton would make them pay a heavy price if they touched one of our boys?

Did you see the senators vs rangers playoff series a couple years ago when boyle was roughing up erik karlsson intimidating him? Carkner responded by beating him up and nobody went near karlsson the rest of the series.

Also, do you remember the hawks canucks playoff battles when byfuglien used to fall all over luongo and nobody stood up for bobby lou? And how it threw him off his game? And how he would get lit up after? And how we lost 2 years in a row to them and their unchecked treatment of our goalie was a big reason for that?

Or how about when guys are concussing the sedins? Do you think duncan keith or dustin brown would still do that knowing that a matt carkner or brian mcgratton would make them pay a heavy price if they touched one of our boys?

This.

Archived